Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Petition against closure of Night & Day Manchester due to noise complaints

What's Hot
https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/manchester-city-council-to-remove-our-statutory-nuisance-abatement-notice

"We are extremely upset and distressed by the notice as we believe we are a key part of Manchester and have been for 23 years!

This one resident has lived here for less than 1 year and his threat could end an independent run business which has been a firm staple in the Manchester arts scene for over two decades. This will bring to an end the employment of everyone who works here, not to mention, destroy one of the major hubs for live music, for both local and international musicians.

We have worked tirelessly making the venue as sound proof as possible whilst spending thousands of none funded money to making sure the venue is extremely environmentally friendly. 

We have tried to speak to the resident to try and explain the nature of our business and we thoroughly understand noise can be annoying to any ordinary person but why would you chose to move next door to a live music venue if noise is going to be an issue?

Please do not let this one complaint ruin what has been a great benefit to the people and city of Manchester!

Thank You

Night and Day staff"

Whether or not you like the venue or have even been it is worth being aware that this kind of thing is happening.  It is up to you if you want to sign.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• furtherfurther Frets: 88
    Signed

• "Bosses at a landmark Manchester gig venue say they are threatened with closure – because a neighbour has complained that it is too noisy.

The team behind Night and Day Cafe, which has helped launch the careers of bands like Elbow, has revealed that it has received a nuisance notice from Manchester Council.

Gareth Butterworth, the venue’s in-house promoter and booker, told the M.E.N. that the notice has been issued after one resident who moved nearby less than a year ago complained to the town hall about noise levels.

He added that the nuisance notice threatens Night and Day owners with a £20,000 fine – or six months in jail – if they do not turn the music down."

Gareth said such a fine would ruin the independently-run venue, while having to turn volume levels down low would put bands off from performing there, which would also wreck the business.

He added: “The worst case scenario is that we shut down – bringing an end the employment of everyone who works here, not to mention destroying one of the major hubs for live music in Manchester, for local and international musicians.

“It’s very upsetting. We understand that this resident has lived here for less than a year. We’re an independent business that’s been a staple of the Manchester arts scene for 23 years.

“We’ve spent thousands on sound-proofing the venue.

“And we tried to speak to the resident, to explain the nature of our business, and we understand noise can be annoying – but why would you choose to move next door to a live music venue if noise is going to be an issue?”

Gareth said they planned to appeal against the notice – and the venue has launched a petition asking for support which gained over 15,000 signatures* since being launched last night.

He added: “We plan to fight this and the amount of people signing the petition shows there are plenty of people supporting us.”

Night and Day, which is owned by Jan Oldenburg, has gigs on up to six nights a week – with live music finishing before midnight.

It will continue to put on shows while it appeals the notice.

* currently at 40k+

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72316
    The arsehole in question probably got the house cheap because of the location too. I really can't understand why this sort of effectively retrospective complaint is even allowed - the venue was there first, period.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Signed, I played one of my first ever gigs there. It's a sweat filled corridor, but still.
  • What a joke.  Do your homework before you move in.  

I'll not lie, I wouldn't want to live there.  So I wouldn't move in!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Currently 54,202 including me.

I say get the pitch forks ready............

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Yep, I'm in too. Looks like this guy's going to be pretty unpopular...
    <space for hire>
  • Exactly the same thing happened a couple of years ago in Birmingham. Unfortunately, I can't remember which pub it happened so I can't find out what the outcome was, but the situation was identical - selfish idiot moves to within hearing distance of a long-established and very popular live venue and instantly complains about the noise. Wtf? I mean, you did your research about the area, didn't you??
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.

One of the pubs in my town has a similar issue. The pub is quite busy, and has been for a long time. some posh "Okay Yah" types moved in, and within a couple of weeks were making noise complaints.

Wankers.

If you want quiet don't move near a pub/music/sports venue.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l said:

One of the pubs in my town has a similar issue. The pub is quite busy, and has been for a long time. some posh "Okay Yah" types moved in, and within a couple of weeks were making noise complaints.

Wankers.

May I add airport to that list?
    May I add airport to that list?

Yes you may.

Now you mention it, when Alconbury airfield closed (USAF ceased flying from there) there was uproar from the locals when it was locally discussed about reopening as a civilian transport airfield.

Bearing in mind that most of the locals who complained/objected to this had lived there when aircraft like Phantoms (read pretty loud..) were based there flying 24hrs a day......... 

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Similar in my local town.

Ex Senior police officer moves next door to hotel which has been there a couple of hundred years and been run by the same guy for 23 years). Next - thing council insists on the posting of two registered goons on the door. Nothing but trouble since (it was a always well run establishment you'd take your mother to). And noise abatement notice too!

You'd think a former police officer would have noticed the bleedin' obviose sign 'HOTEL' right next to the house he was considering buying. TWUNT!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    The thing is, its not the only music venue on Oldham St, there's Dry Bar next door too, Matt & Phreds down the road, plus other pubs, and Frog & Bucket Comedy Club.  Its a busy part of a city centre, not a country lane.  What a dick!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72316
    What a joke.  Do your homework before you move in.
    I suspect it's worse than that - they *did* do their homework. They know that if they buy a place which is undervalued because it's next to a venue, then get the venue closed down, the value of the house goes up drastically.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    What a joke.  Do your homework before you move in.
    I suspect it's worse than that - they *did* do their homework. They know that if they buy a place which is undervalued because it's next to a venue, then get the venue closed down, the value of the house goes up drastically.
    Which makes him a selfish Charlie Uniform November Tango, who needs impailing on a large spike.

• Signed.

I hope this Tosser get's a massive F.O
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    TheOtherDennis;134989" said:
    Exactly the same thing happened a couple of years ago in Birmingham. Unfortunately, I can't remember which pub it happened so I can't find out what the outcome was, but the situation was identical - selfish idiot moves to within hearing distance of a long-established and very popular live venue and instantly complains about the noise. Wtf? I mean, you did your research about the area, didn't you??

The Roadhouse perchance? Once thriving venue, now has a db meter and sound is generally ropey because a nun amplified snare hit is enough to make it go red - so they compensate by making everything else inaudible.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited January 2014
    I wonder if this is a symptom of 'northern quarter' gentrification?

Quite a high ratio of twats there these days. 

Went to watch United v Spurs the other week in the Tibb St Tavern, had to leave at half time - cheers going up for Spurs was irking me. I think me and one other bloke at the bar were the only locals in the place! 
  • I wonder if this is a symptom of 'northern quarter' gentrification?
    I think you'll find that a lot of that is down to the BBC moving into Media City along with all the other supporting services businesses. We've had an influx of BBC meeja types moving into my town where they've discovered they can buy a four-bedroom detached with a decent garden for cash after selling their two bedroom flat in London.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Signed.

Bloody idiots doing this kind of shit.

We have a venue or two suffering the same sort of silliness.