Anybody with the Tim Miller online lessons

BarneyBarney Frets: 614
I was on this a while back and came off but thinking of going back again...or is there any other good online courses ?...im looking mainly jazz 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited November 2016

Yes Barney I was.

His lessons are good but getting answers to more personal questions from him is difficult. 

The problem I have with Tim is that he seems to be reluctant to answer questions via his forum.  I posted a number of questions on there and he came back with quite vague replies.  

I remember asking him about how to make a chord progression into a modal sounding progression, along with a link to  John Coltrane's version of Body and Soul.  He told me that the opening line was a simple Cm cliché chord progression that is used a lot in jazz - absolutely no relevance or help to me at all.  I didn't push the issue as I got the impression he couldn't have been bothered to help me.  

http://members.internetguitarlessons.tv/forum/chords/how-to-reharmonise-a-song-into-a-modal-vamp/

I left his site soon after, with 2 months subscription fees paid but, once you cancel, you are denied access to the site so I lost that money. 

I would recommend his site if you are prepared to just watch his videos and ask simple questions about the content on his videos, but if you are looking advice on more specific things then I would highly recommend looking elsewhere. - 

• BarneyBarney Frets: 614

Yes Barney I was.

His lessons are good but getting answers to more personal questions from him is difficult. 

The problem I have with Tim is that he seems to be reluctant to answer questions via his forum.  I posted a number of questions on there and he came back with quite vague replies.  For instance, I posted asking advice on reharmonisation of a simple song (I think it was a Tears for Fears song) and he replied saying he thought the chord progression sounded good already.  This was a little annoying to be honest as I was looking advice on how someone may go about reharmonising it, not what he thought of the progression.  He then posted back saying I could change the maj7 chords to maj7#5. 

I also remember asking him about how to make a chord progression into a modal sounding progression, along with a link to  John Coltrane's version of Body and Soul.  He told me that the opening line was a simple Cm cliché chord progression that is used a lot in jazz - absolutely no relevance or help to me at all.  I didn't push the issue as I got the impression he didn't want to help me.

I left his site soon after, with 2 months subscription fees paid but, once you cancel, you are denied access to the site so I lost that money. 

I would recommend his site if you are prepared to just watch his videos and ask simple questions about the content on his videos, but if you are looking advice on more specific things then I would highly recommend looking elsewhere.

Thanks ..i was on his site a while back ..i was enjoyng it and while there was good ideas they were just short subjects ..which was fair enough but i felt as though i was just getting snippets of a lot of things instead of a system that could progressivly improve my playing ....was just wonderimg iff its changed....i think i will do a internet search tonight and see whats available :)
  • I don't know of any other online teachers that teach modern jazz / fusion style.  There are some good videos on mymusicmasterclass.com by Ben Monder, Alex Machacek, Jonathan Kreisberg, Adam Rogers, Mike Moreno etc.  But some of those guys aren't good teachers IMO. 

I have the Ben Monder ones and some of the Mike Moreno lessons are they are OK and have some good ideas.  Ben Monder is a better teacher than Mike Moreno, although I only got Mike Moreno's lessons last week and haven't had a proper chance to fully digest it. 

Truefire have some OK lessons.  The Tim Miller arpeggio course expands upon some of his 2121 ideas from his site and also from his Texas clinic videos on  his site.  Truefire also have a Frank Vignola and Julian Lage In The Jam lesson coming out, which might be good.

Skype lessons might be an option, with someone like Randy Vincent, Adam Rogers or Ben Monder.  If you look on Ben's site you will see what he likes his students to know before they take lessons with them.  Berklee also offer online jazz courses, called Jazz Guitar 101 and 102, but they are expensive.

• Tom Lippincott's lessons on Mike's Master Classes are very good - 
    http://www.mikesmasterclasses.com/index.php/Masters/Description/Tom-Lippincott.html

It depends on what you want to learn as to which one(s) you want to get. If you contact Tom he will advise you. I have several and they are well worth the money.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    Tom Lippincott's lessons on Mike's Master Classes are very good - 
    http://www.mikesmasterclasses.com/index.php/Masters/Description/Tom-Lippincott.html

It depends on what you want to learn as to which one(s) you want to get. If you contact Tom he will advise you. I have several and they are well worth the money.
    Thanks will check him out ...his vids look interesting :)
  • Barney said:
    Tom Lippincott's lessons on Mike's Master Classes are very good - 

Thanks will check him out ...his vids look interesting :)
    He's a good teacher too and he's always answered questions via email.