Classical or Electric?

What's Hot
beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
Not sure this is the most appropriate place to post this topic, but here it is anyway...

I've been playing guitar for 13 years and enjoy pretty much all genres of music.  Playing wise I lean mainly towards rock and blues.

Anyway, in September, just as I began university, I decided to satisfy my desire to start classical.  I took a couple of lessons with my tutor who also taught me electric and found I really enjoyed it.  So much so, I parted ways with my electrics to avoid any distraction.  If I was going to learn classical, I aimed to do it properly.

For three months, I have enjoyed the challenge.  Also, the upshot of learning to read music and the wonderful reward of being able to play pretty tunes without the need for anyone else is great.  I'd like to think it's going well.

However, since Christmas, I started to get an itch.  An itch to want to play electric again.  I spent the best part of the Christmas holiday being a guitar pervert, constantly browsing electrics on ebay, gumtree and, of course, this forum.

I finally found a 80s Aria Pro II Les Paul, which went completely against the idea of me getting a strat.  I just needed THAT SOUND in my life. A few days after ordering it, the guitar finally arrived to my utter joy.

This is where the problem begins.  I got it out of its box, tuned it up, plugged in and had a quick play.  Everything was how it should be and it plays great.  Result.  Later, I treated it to a clean and a new set of strings.  All good.  Following this, I put on some backing tracks and went for it. Even though I was a little bit rusty, I hadn't lost my skills and after a few minutes in, I was back in to it.

Strangely, I just wasn't feeling it.  What I enjoy(ed) about electric guitar just wasn't happening.  Everything sounded okay, and I was coming up with some decent licks etc, but disappointingly I just felt a bit 'meh' with it all.  Furthermore, the idea of playing my classical was, and is, much more appealing.  For some reason, I just don't feel very enthused by the idea of picking up my electric.

Have I not given my electric a chance?  Is this something that will pass?  Or am I genuinely moving on from electric and found sincere happiness with classical?  At the moment I just don't know and feel slightly confused by these recent events.  What are your thoughts, and has anyone else experienced something similar?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

You need to do both. It worked for Randy Rhoads.

The thing is "Classical" is kinda new to you, and is what's currently in you mind*.

I'll bet if you aleternated between Electric and Acoustic you'd soon get as much out of one as the other.

*Yes that's Mike's attempt at psychoanalysis.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

mike_l said:
    aleternated
    +1 for aleternation - it can be very cathartic but until you've fully aleternated you'll be discontented.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wobble all over the place, I have several solid body electrics, a bass, 2 classical and one steel string acoustic plus a lapsteel slide guitar.  It's all good, when the urge hits you for one or the other go for it.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    Hmmm, maybe I should stop being a girl about it and appreciate that I can play both.
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 287
    I have a Classical (which is my style of choice for playing, not listening to) a few electrics, couple of acoustics, 12string and a violin and harmonica,  whatever I fancy playing I do, and I find it helps my playing generally no matter what guitar I decide to play.