Looking for some different beginner recommendations!

Hey folks

I'm looking for some recommendations on cool licks/chord progressions/solos to learn for an electric beginner, while I start dabbling around for the first time (beginner/intermediate acoustic player here, been playing about 18 months).

My biggest influence at the moment is John Mayer, especially his live stuff from his DVD, some of my favourite tones and pieces in the vids below

These were just to give an example of the sort of thing I'm liking at the moment, so would welcome all kinds of suggestion.

I'm planning on taking lessons again to properly improve, just looking for some inspiration on small licks/progressions to sound cool while I mess about :)

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You could look at the Justin Guitar videos, he does a lot of classic riffs but coaches rather than going 'this finger here.'
    Been a while since I looked at it but the Ross Bolton Funk Rythmn Guitar tutorial is on YouTube in two long bits. It's a bit dry, a bit dated looking, a bit sad ( as it's not that long since he died)and you probably don't need to learn 100% of what he goes through but for a free resource he breaks down the 16th note strumming style very clearly. Obviously useful for funk but it's all over SRV, John Mayer, Joanne Shaw Taylor modern blues stuff, it will take your rhythm playing up a huge notch.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Thanks Eric that sounds great. Will check that out for sure. I used Justin's videos too when I got started with the acoustic and thought they were very good.