quick question re ohms amp vs cabs

grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
Sorry to ask but Google ain't my friend today, can I safely use an amp with speaker out of 8ohm into a 16 ohm 4x12 cab? Will it just be a bit quieter or will I naff the amp up?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Youll lose a tiny bit of high end
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    So it's safe then won't hurt transformer!? Cheers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    grungebob said:
    Sorry to ask but Google ain't my friend today, can I safely use an amp with speaker out of 8ohm into a 16 ohm 4x12 cab? Will it just be a bit quieter or will I naff the amp up?
    It will be a bit quieter and you'll lose some bottom-end and possibly a tiny bit of high-end, and it will be a bit 'flatter' dynamically.

No risk to the amp unless you're absolutely thrashing it with some amps. Most will be fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Cheers, it'll only be at home volumes.
    grungebob said:
    Cheers, it'll only be at home volumes.
    Absolutely no risk at all then, and you might not even notice much tone difference. The actual type of speakers becomes far more important than the impedance in that case.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Sorry @ICBM can you clarify type of speakers? The cab in question is an eminence lady luck 70 watt loaded 4x12 and the amp I'm looking at is either a mesa ta or mini rec
    I meant that the minor tone difference of running at the wrong impedance is far less than the tone difference between those speakers and the V30s the amp was designed to use, so it isn't really worth worrying about the tone difference due to the mismatch :).

If you are still concerned, you could rewire the cab to 4 ohms (it will have four 16-ohm speakers in, so it will be 4 ohms if you wire them all in parallel) which the amp has an output for.

Ok thanks