changing fret size

hi all,

im planning to buy a vintage gibson les paul. problem is its a fretless wonder. i was wondering if the frets can be changed to a different size. if so, will it be as simple as just replacing the frets and profiling it, or will work need to be done on the neck as well to accomodate the new fret size. i haven't bought the guitar yet. if it will need major work , i'd sooner not buy it

thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    It's not a trivial job, but if the board is in good condition it shouldn't need major work even though a bound ebony board is one of the most difficult. It will also need a new nut since it will need to be taller.

It's well worth it - these are amazing guitars when they're refretted with something which allows more modern playing styles.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom