Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

anybody like to Boogie?

What's Hot

Comments

• 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    Love to Boogie :Dimage
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    ICBM said:
    The Trem o verb is the best amp I think Ive ever heard, and then I tried to lift it.
    I got used to it. The first part makes dealing with the second part worthwhile.

I'm still selling my second one though. Just don't need two, sadly!
    How much does the Trem-o-Verb actually weigh?

If I had the money and the space (I don't) I'd be interested, I've heard they're cracking amps.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    EricTheWeary;135398" said:
    Once upon a time I had a couple of guitar lessons ( hard to believe, I know). The teacher had two Boogies and a rack system providing them with stereo chorus and delay,etc, ( what MK Boogies or the specifics in the rack I don't know) in his living room (well, his mom's living room, he was a musician and therefore no house of his own). To me it was a thing of true awesomeness even at the relatively low volumes we played.

<SNIP>

But did he teach you anythig other than not to rely on being a musician for a living...??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

lustycourtier said:The Trem o verb is the best amp I think Ive ever heard, and then I tried to lift it.

I got used to it. The first part makes dealing with the second part worthwhile.

I'm still selling my second one though. Just don't need two, sadly!

If I had the money and the space (I don't) I'd be interested, I've heard they're cracking amps.
    Rumour has it that they fit a small star in the transformer.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    57Deluxe said:
    EricTheWeary;135398" said:
    Once upon a time I had a couple of guitar lessons ( hard to believe, I know). The teacher had two Boogies and a rack system providing them with stereo chorus and delay,etc, ( what MK Boogies or the specifics in the rack I don't know) in his living room (well, his mom's living room, he was a musician and therefore no house of his own). To me it was a thing of true awesomeness even at the relatively low volumes we played.

<SNIP>

But did he teach you anythig other than not to rely on being a musician for a living...??
    he was a very good guitarist and had played on top 40 records, did European tours,etc, but still lived at home with his mom ( he was early 30's I suppose)and worked part time in a school. His mom's house had a lovely view of a nature reserve and Iiked the area. I think I learned that I would quite like to live around there. 

Guitar wise he was quite shocked at my attempt to play stuff with big barre chords and got me playing thumb over style and smaller chords. These many years later I still play majors and minors and 7ths how he showed me and have pretty much lost the ability to do campfire style barre chords.

Oh, and he showed me the riff to Copperhead Road which is still a thing of brilliance. I shall play it next time I pick up a guitar.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    edited January 2014
    Bucket said:

98lb - 7 stones :) - although they seem to vary a little bit, the reason is that most of the extra weight compared to something like a Fender Twin is in the cabinet, which varies a little with the exact plywood density. The chassis is actually barely any heavier than a Twin's, and the speakers are normal V30s.

There are actually heavier amps, and even some slightly lighter ones are harder to move. It's quite a compact amp, with good wheels and handles, well-distributed weight (unlike some) and smooth rounded edges - this may all seem trivial until you try carrying something like a Twin any distance… I'd far rather move a Trem-o-verb, even straight up!

The MkIV also seems heavier in some ways, although it's not, it's around 10-15lb lighter - but it's about half the size.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited January 2014
    At least Santana would get an email back from Mesa, their customer service is non-existent. At least it is if you have a problem with a product you've bought from them. I'll never buy anything they make ever again. 3 emails to 2 different addresses. Nothing.

Westside Distribution (Mesa UK distributors) on the other hand are fantastic.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I love my transatlantic. Vox or fendery cleans, marshall or boogie crunch/lead, it's fookin loud and only 12lbs in weight.

http://m.flickr.com/photos/jwsproductions/9437542116/

My favourite amp I've ever had.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    thisisguitar;138842" said:
    Oddly enough, I had a problem with my LSS and Westside completely ignored me....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    At least Santana would get an email back from Mesa, their customer service is non-existent. At least it is if you have a problem with a product you've bought from them. I'll never buy anything they make ever again. 3 emails to 2 different addresses. Nothing.

That will be because you're not in North America - apparently their customer service there is top-notch. They insist on leaving it to the national distributor for overseas customers… presumably they think the distributor has to earn their colossal mark-up somehow :).

I think I've had email responses from Mesa USA a couple of times - but others have just apparently been ignored, yes. I've had mostly good results from Westside, but not 100%.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited January 2014
    I'm a Mark Series fan; I used to own a MkIII. That fat, middly sustain is great for the way I play. I know others (ICBM in particular) really don't get along with them. I recently down-loaded Santana's Moonflower album. To me, Carlos never sounded better than when he played his PAF loaded Yamaha SG2000 through a lot of Boogies.

I'm with you on this one Richard (welcome back) and Moonflower is a brilliant album. Santana's phrasing and control of his guitar, not to mention his good use of a couple of effects, in particular his wah, showed us what he can REALLY do.

As to Boogies, I like them and gigged a Studio 22 for quite a while (loud) and a 5:50 Express 2x12. The latter was really good, but just too heavy for me. Now that we're in the age of small, light, loud, portable heads, the Transatlantic 15 and 30 hold some appeal and I've also tried a Triaxis/Boogie power amp set up and the Lonestar Special, and both were superb! Apart from their sound (if you like them), their reliability and build inspires confidence - no issues with my current H&K Tubemeister 36 head, but there's always a nagging doubt at the back of my mind. @Ragingben will know what I mean.

EDIT:I've always had good customer service from Westside (Oreste) and good, fast responses from US
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I've never been a fan, I remember liking a Subway I tried but subsequent experience has been that they for the most part sound a little hard and clinical.  But I imagine they are the kind of amps you really need to tweak to get the best sound from. 

I prefer one trick pony amps, that do one thing really well. 

I'd like to give Mesas a go though, the Express 5:25 looks like the perfect versatile club amp, I should try one.  The clips havn't made me seek one out however.
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 106
    Cos is right, I know exactly what he means. I have this slight apprehension about live gigging with it, even when I hadn't had problems. Having said that, the 18 sold well in the US and there aren't many reports of problems online, maybe a bit early to tell in the long run for the 36. In honesty if I was to get something valve now I'd quite like a combo of some description, a simple 2 channel affair with plenty of clean headroom. EL34 most likely. So, quite the opposite!
  • 1nten5e said:
    Love to Boogie :Dimage

That is surely cheating since it is a Mesa.  Nice choice of amp regardless.  I've got a Roadster and some Rectifier cabs.

• @richardhomer - Who did you get in touch with there? I have an email address for Oreste, who has always been great. 

@ICBM - I had heard that too. It just pissed me off that my amp had a potentially dangerous manufacturing fault and they didn't even acknowledge me. I spent around £240 to eventually solve the fault, to say nothing of borrowing and carrying of a spare amp around for a few gigs. I feel aggrieved that they didn't give a fuck, and because of their fault I have been massively inconvenienced. 

Apologies, first time I've had a mini-rant about it, but as I said they'll never see penny one from me.
    thisisguitar;139942" said:
    @richardhomer - Who did you get in touch with there? I have an email address for Oreste, who has always been great
    Just their general contact address on their site. It was well over a year ago. I actually found out what I needed from ICBM when we were all still on MR.
    Kebabkid;138930" said:
    I'm with you on this one Richard (welcome back)
    Thanks.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    5:25 user here (I guess strictly Mesa rather than Boogie). It's brilliant- sounds way bigger than it looks and useable master volume means it's equally at home at home or cranked up on stage. And most importantly it was a bargain, bought used :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 355
    My second (in order of purchase) good amp is a Lonestar Special (not a Boogie) and I really like it. I'm a bit concerned that I can sound a bit VOX-y when pushed but so did the Badger in one occasion which makes me think it's my settings rather than the amps. And I don't buy that el-84 based amps all sound VOX-y by default.. In any case I am concerned that our loud drummer + shit sounding stages will make any 30W amp sound "pushed" in the cleans so I'm tempted to go the higher Wattage recto way and possibly look at the tremoverb at some point assuming that I'll handle the weight for a few more years (29 yo atm). So yeah, LSS is my first MESA and I got no complaints and if  I head money Mesa would be the company to explore. On the other hand Suhr will probably announce a low watt (30-45) PT 2 channel thing at NAMM. Badger sized but obviously different. So I'm keeping an eye on that too. Tempted by Mark series too but playing the LSS (Mark 1 inspired iirc) I think that I need a crunch channel which I can push for leads or a 2/3 channel option as the dirty channel on the LSS and the early marks sounds more like a dedicated lead one (smooth and creamy) but not chunky enough. But later Mks have more channels. Generally my approach is more amp-less pedals which makes me avoid having a crunch pedal through the LSS's clean channel for rhythm. Back to topic, I think I like to Boogie (or Mesa,,) and had fast support through this troubleshouting MESA site (the one like a forum) 
  • I have recently parted company with my Triaxis, 2:90 and 212 cab etc that I owned played and used for 15 years. I have replaced it with a Mark V Combo and a 5:25+ Combo (from StefB of this parish. Great to deal with.)

I have to admit I love both for the seriously differing sounds but also similarities. You can get them to sound almost identical but also get them to sound completely different. Very interesting.