Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

AmpliTube 3 or Guitar Rig

What's Hot
Do any of you use either AmpliTube 3 or Guitar Rig? What do you think of them,  Do you just monitor through headphones, or laptop / desktop speakers, or run it through your real rig.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I use Amplitube. I have both due to space etc.... just home recording demos etc.... but if I could have any valve amp and speaker set up at home I'd still go that way. Or if money was no object Kemper, AFX etc....
  • I use Amplitube, but I'm not that impressed with it - I've found that my AMT preamps (C2 and P2) and cab impulses do a far better job of distortifying guitar for recording.

Neither are particularly good replacements for a real amp, or a proper amp modeller (Kemper and AxeFX). I'd say the AMT preamps were probably on a par with the Eleven Rack. Amplitube feels more like a POD X3 to me.
    <space for hire>
  • I use amplitube 3, guitar rig is quite unstable on my system for some reason.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I've got Amplitube 3. It's great for silent noise-making with loads of amp/pedal/rackFX models. But I do find the sounds wow me for about ten or so minutes of headphone playing and then my ears rapidly fatigue and I'm left feeling it's all a bit two-dimensional if that makes any sense? Also the cleans - Fender pack - aren't that great. In the real world I prefer cleaner and sparkly, but here it's the crunchier sounds - the the Soldano/Marshall/Orange models - that I think are the most satisfying. 
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    I've got Amplitube 3. It's great for silent noise-making with loads of amp/pedal/rackFX models. But I do find the sounds wow me for about ten or so minutes of headphone playing and then my ears rapidly fatigue and I'm left feeling it's all a bit two-dimensional if that makes any sense? Also the cleans - Fender pack - aren't that great. In the real world I prefer cleaner and sparkly, but here it's the crunchier sounds - the the Soldano/Marshall/Orange models - that I think are the most satisfying. 
    Must agree, the Orange amp pack has some nice sounding gear in it..
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Got guitar rig 2, 3 then 4, then decided I wasn't that keen. I like singing satriani type leads, but anything with distortion hisses horribly. Use the noise gates and it kills the sound. I rarely touch it now, it only gets used for the occasional lunchtime playing at work due to convenience. 

Tried an early Amplitube and didn't much care for that either. 
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    I have GR3 and Amplitube don't use either of them.

Of all the software amps i found Waves GTR3 was better,or if you like distorted/overdrive Scuffham Amps
    get good reviews.

Whatever you end up with try and use Impulses like Redwirez,they are excellent.

At the moment i am using the Emulated Out from a Blackstar ID30 into Logic Pro,much better than the sims.

I am contemplating a Kemper,but i haven't decided yet.

Alan

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    asimmd said:

At the moment i am using the Emulated Out from a Blackstar ID30 into Logic Pro,much better than the sims.

Interested to hear that as it is what I am planning on doing
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I use guitar rig 4 - I've tried Amplitube and Waves but didn't like them as much. I use it for playing and recording at home, but if a "proper" recording is justified I'll re-record the parts at a friend's project studio micing up an amp. I know there's a free version of Amplitube and I suspect there's demos of the others, so try before you buy!
    wave100 said:
    I use guitar rig 4 - I've tried Amplitube and Waves but didn't like them as much. I use it for playing and recording at home, but if a "proper" recording is justified I'll re-record the parts at a friend's project studio micing up an amp. I know there's a free version of Amplitube and I suspect there's demos of the others, so try before you buy!Thanks
    Thanks, I already have the full version of Amplitube 3, and the Orange amp pack, I quite like it, the only thing that niggles me atm, is the fact it doesn't fit my laptop screen, and you can't resize it to fit.  Sounds great though.  I also have the free version of Guitar rig 5 on here, but not played with it too much as yet.
  • jesonejesone Frets: 60
    I rather like Positive Grid Bias & Jamup. Love being able to mod almost every element of the amp & create my own signature amp :)
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Got the basic Amplitube 3 cause it was free. I use it with Garageband and it syncs faultlessly.

Worth a try because it'll cost you nothing.

My only reservation is that I'm only ever happy with the drive tones that come with my own pedal setup. That way I can keep the background noise down. I run them into my Mac and use them to drive the JCM800 Amplitube model.
  • An amp sim lives or dies by it's distortion/hi-gain stuff, and in this respect Amplitube wins every time for me. The Orange models are quality, and the 'own-brand' 5150 model sounds immense. 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    /\ The Orange sims I trialled were good. My prob is for higher gain the 800 sim needs help getting past medium crunch when I play my Strat without any pedal boost. I enjoyed the Slash amp.
    Skarloey said:
    /\ The Orange sims I trialled were good. My prob is for higher gain the 800 sim needs help getting past medium crunch when I play my Strat without any pedal boost. I enjoyed the Slash amp.
    Apart from the amps that come standard with the full version, the only extra amp pack have installed is the Orange amp pack.  So far I'm quite impressed by it.  My only niggle with the AmpliTube 3 software is you can't resize it to fit your laptop screen properly, which makes things a tad tricky to use.

Here's a shameless plug. 

Anyone interested in winning a full copy of AmpliTube 3 together with 300 credits for the custom shop. Just follow the link to my site, and answer three simple questions to enter the draw.  Odds of winning are really good.

• FezFez Frets: 522
    I tried Guitar rig but I went back to Amplitube 3
    Don't touch that dial.
    Don't forget to get your entries in before the end of the month, we're over half way through. Odds of winning a full version of AmpliTube 3 are pretty damn good atm. ;)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I don't rate Guitar Rig. I like the Soldano in Amplitube 3. But I mainly prefer to use the LePou plugins whenever I'm working entirely in the box.
  • The Jet City amps in Amplitube 3 are pretty damn good, sort of a different flavour of the Soldano models (a bit more low-end).

Personally, I wanted to see Revalver 4, but Peavey appear to have done the vapourware thing of launching it at NAMM without actually having it available for people to even try, much less buy. In fact, they don't even have any information on their website so far as I can tell...
    <space for hire>