12s or 13s on your Dreadnought acoustic?

What's Hot
Which gauge for the win?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I use either:
    11s, which are loads easier to play than:
    12s, which sound better.

Many dreads come strung with 13s which I imagine brings out the best sounds, but it depends if you are wanting to do dreadnoughty strumming or get busy with lead lines. I've never tried them and have no interest in doing so TBH.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • 11s? big girls blouses!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1904
    edited November 2016
    Sorry to tell you this but all acoustic players are big girls' blouses; there are no subdivisions within that. :P
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    12s at the moment - it's a big heavy guitar even by Dreadnought standards and I felt 11s sounded a little thin - although the biggest problem is that most sets of 11s come with a 22 G, which is noticeably too light and thin-sounding - it needs to be a 23, which oddly a set of 10s normally comes with! I've never quite understood that.

My ideal gauge might actually by 11/12 hybrids - 12s, but with the 11 and 15 plain strings.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I am trialling 11s at the moment; they surely sound thinner but the needs of the performance outweigh the tone IMO (Martin Retro monel strings use a 23 G by the way).
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    .013s, but with quite a low action and a very straight neck.

bluechargeboy said:

the needs of the performance outweigh the tone IMO

There's a lot to that. A lot of people fetishise tone over actually playing well....not limited to acoustic (or guitar for that matter). 

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    11 to 50 Newtone masterclass
  • 12-53 D'Addarios but tuned D-D. Really suits a dreadnought and sounds huge but solos are easier to play. I get loads of compliments from punters at my solo acoustic gigs.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Which gauge for the win?
    not sure what u's question is RF, the type of guitar is not all that relevant - u's playing style is.
    presuming it's a standard Dread - spruce 'n something with a 25.4 scale length it depends what type of tension u like to work with / against.
    Grassers usually like more resistance for the h'ons and p'offs they do also there's 'that sound' they get from playing behind the soundhole so 13's are widely used. They also acoustically have to compete with banjo, mandolin and fiddle so need the 'punch' of that extra tension.
    I play a deep body'd OM, in tuning and use 13's - never in standard.
    Do u use tuning's ?
    and so on

• 13s - though I use a lot of dropped tunings.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    12s ftw 
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • 13-56 for me. I've always had 12s on my other acoustic, so I don't think 12s on a dread would sound too bad really.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited November 2016
    AliGorie said:
    Which gauge for the win?
    not sure what u's question is RF, the type of guitar is not all that relevant - u's playing style is.
    presuming it's a standard Dread - spruce 'n something with a 25.4 scale length it depends what type of tension u like to work with / against.
    Grassers usually like more resistance for the h'ons and p'offs they do also there's 'that sound' they get from playing behind the soundhole so 13's are widely used. They also acoustically have to compete with banjo, mandolin and fiddle so need the 'punch' of that extra tension.
    I play a deep body'd OM, in tuning and use 13's - never in standard.
    Do u use tuning's ?
    and so on

Bashing out Pinball Wizard or Going Mobile in your best Pete Townsend style...what else is there?

I'm kidding, but the reason I like a Dread is to be able to play hard like Pete Townsend but also have a guitar that can sound OK for Neil Young type picking such as Needle and The Damage Done. I'm no finger style virtuoso.

My D28 can sound a little restrained with 12s, but I prefer the more balanced tone when compared to a HD28 (which is all bass and treble and seems hollow in the mids), I'm toying with going to 13s, and it's been a long while since I tried them and at £17 a pop for a set of coated long life strings and with a couple of sets of 12s in the drawer, I can wait!

When did strings get to £17 a go? jeez. 

I think a standard D28 benefits from .013s definitely. With setup there's no reason for that to be a struggle, especially for the sort of stuff you're looking to play.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    13's for DADGAD and other turnings , 12's for standard
  • I use 12s on my Sigma 000, I think any more tension would be dark too much for any sort of lead playing. 
  • A few years ago after a bout of RSI I had to drop to 10's, then to 11's and I'm now back to 12's. I think 12's are the ideal, you can get away with 13's on standard braced guitars, but I'd avoid on scalloped bracing. Obviously, all this is based on using standard tuning, lower tunings would probably dictate heavier strings.