A mad idea????

What's Hot
I assume this is a crackpot idea that won't work ......... Would it be possible to make a tele with strat pickup configuration (SSS) but have the middle pup under the scratchplate somehow so that it didn't show? I'm guessing that it would fail being too far from the strings and 'masked' by the scratchplate?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I don't know about that, but where people have done "stealth" esquires they haven't worked too well for the reason you identify.
  • rprrpr Frets: 309
    edited August 2013
    Think ICBM tried to fit a hidden neck pickup in an Esquire. In the sixties fender tried it in the original Marauder prototype-I'm sure there's a picture of the patent online somewhere, More recently they did this with the SSS configuration
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I don't know about that, but where people have done "stealth" esquires they haven't worked too well for the reason you identify.

I think that some people have had reasonable success with a 'stealth' neck pickup on Esquire's by putting a slight Gibson style back angle on the neck join by routing the neck pocket at an angle. By doing this the strings pass low enough over the scratchplate where the neck pickup would be for it to work but still hit the bridge t the usual distance off of the body. Don't know if it would work on the mid pickup though
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

IIRC there's been a few guitars made with "hidden" pups. I'm sure Jackson have done some, but with 'buckers so maybe it would be possible with a higher output, over a "vintage" output pup.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10370
    tFB Trader
    I posted before on here about this. Leo himself designed the 'stealth' pickup for the Marauder ... with a twinned magnet structure that's very different to a normal single coil ... more like a very narrow humbucker ... without one set of poles being reversed polarity ... and with one coil encompassing both rows of poles. I produced something very similar for Sporky's bass. I just made two of em per pickup and made the whole shooting match humbucking :)image

The point here wasn't to use the doubled mags to 'jump' the magnetic flux further, for example past a scratchplate, but to use the side effect of a larger coil aperture to boost bass and mids.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    axisus said:
    I assume this is a crackpot idea that won't work ......... Would it be possible to make a tele with strat pickup configuration (SSS) but have the middle pup under the scratchplate somehow so that it didn't show? I'm guessing that it would fail being too far from the strings and 'masked' by the scratchplate?
    Yes, I (and others) have tried it with an Esquire, but I found that in order to get anything like a usable volume balance between the two pickups, the neck pickup had to be too powerful to sound very good - the sort of extra-hot Strat pickup people buy for output and not tone. And I *like* a slightly louder bridge pickup/quieter neck pickup on a Tele! But this was too much. So I would guess that if you've got a normal neck pickup as well, it would be even worse.

It is purely a distance from the strings problem, the pickguard has no effect on the pickup. (Unless it's a metal one.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10370
    tFB Trader
    Fairly simple to copy Fender design ... but I haven't tried anything like that in a six string guitar context so I'm whistling in the dark sound wise. My guess would be somewhat P90 like due to the uber-wide coil aperture.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• SporkySporky Frets: 28151
    I produced something very similar for Sporky's bass. I just made two of em per pickup and made the whole shooting match humbucking :)
    Which is about ready for final assembly, at last!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    would it help to stick a high output SC under the scratchplate and just have the other two as lower output?
  • Sounds like the best you can do effectively is to have the middle pickup in a plain cover (i.e. no pole pieces showing) that is the same colour as the scratchplate.
    OK so it'll still be visible, but from a distance it will have the look of a Tele configuration. Tis a compromise, of course, but still..

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    You might be right there, but I think I'm gonna have a go at the hiding thing anyway - It just intrigues me!