• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    The Horrors' first album

That is all
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moss said:
    The Horrors' first album

That is all
    I can't argue with that actually. Though one of the most disappointing gigs I've ever been to was the Horrors, a year or two ago, when I went and they didn't do anything that sounded even remotely like that first album. A brilliant assault of sounds that was
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Can't say I blame you on not taking the backing keys idea. The guy I see doing it week in and week out seems to have a thankless task, stuck at the side and where guest bands nod at him when it's time to improvise another Hammondy solo.

For live fun, and stepping away from all of the piano/clav/Hammond bordeom, how about getting to grips with the modern breed of groovebox? Loop and pattern building live, with a synth for highlights and melodies? Can sound fantastic, especially if you can get the right volcalist - Light Asylum, etc. Vile Electrodes are a sort of more polite form.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Moss said:
    The Horrors' first album

That is all
    I can't argue with that actually. Though one of the most disappointing gigs I've ever been to was the Horrors, a year or two ago, when I went and they didn't do anything that sounded even remotely like that first album. A brilliant assault of sounds that was
    Yeah, annoyingly they haven't played anything off the first album since about 2009
    Stop crying, start buying
  • Moss said:
    Moss said:
    The Horrors' first album

That is all
    Yeah, annoyingly they haven't played anything off the first album since about 2009
    Terrific album though, pure energy and a tour de force of sound. And amazing big hair if I recall correctly

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c2/80/a1/c280a1509502e93b2cc1c245aedb45ac.jpg
  • goldtop said:

For live fun, and stepping away from all of the piano/clav/Hammond bordeom, how about getting to grips with the modern breed of groovebox? Loop and pattern building live, with a synth for highlights and melodies? Can sound fantastic, especially if you can get the right volcalist - Light Asylum, etc. Vile Electrodes are a sort of more polite form.
    Sadly I'm not sure I have the talent for that, from what I can tell about it you seem to need quite a free musical mind and imagination for sounds rather than keyboard playing ability if that makes sense. Happy to be told I'm wrong though!
  • Do a Jack White/White Stripes tribute band, plenty of Piano and simple guitar parts. 
  • Do a Jack White/White Stripes tribute band, plenty of Piano and simple guitar parts. 
    That is all I can play on guitar but the vocals would be a stumbling block...
  • I think there are basically 3 choices if you are thinking of playing in a band:
    1- don't, it's hassle
    2- if you only want the band to play music to your taste then you also have to be responsible for everything else. Or spend ten years looking for your musical soul mates.
    3- compromise on the music but benefit from the experience of being in a band. As a versatile keyboard player you could join a band or just dep in one quite easily. It might be a soul band or an Elvis tribute but, in the short term at least, that isn't the point. Then if you want to loop back to point 2 at least you'll be familiar with rehearsal rooms and auditioning people and sorting PA and dealing with venues,etc. What's the worst that could happen? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    Get in a prog rock tribute band. Great keyboard playing there!
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    axisus said:
    Get in a prog rock tribute band. Great keyboard playing there!
    But you better get  every synth tone perfectly programmed, or the Knowing Neddies in the audience will give you grief. "I think you'll find that SynthGod used pulse width modulation not sync for the third widdly lead bit in the middle eighty." :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha! No definitely no prog for me thanks
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I think the guy from Foals strikes a nice balance, particularly on the first album where there was a big space to fill between the bass and the spindly, high-up-the-fretboard afrobeat guitars. Ditto Everything Everything's touring guy, there's a surprising amount going on on their records. I'll also say it's a massive bonus to any band if you can sing harmonies, do percussion, trigger samples, etc on top of playing keys. 
  • If you can do some Harmonies you could also join a Beach Boys Tribute, strum a few chords or play the Piano/Harpsichord parts. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    I think there are basically 3 choices if you are thinking of playing in a band:
    1- don't, it's hassle
    2- if you only want the band to play music to your taste then you also have to be responsible for everything else. Or spend ten years looking for your musical soul mates.
    3- compromise on the music but benefit from the experience of being in a band. As a versatile keyboard player you could join a band or just dep in one quite easily. It might be a soul band or an Elvis tribute but, in the short term at least, that isn't the point. Then if you want to loop back to point 2 at least you'll be familiar with rehearsal rooms and auditioning people and sorting PA and dealing with venues,etc. What's the worst that could happen? 
    wisdom given and some comments on 2

If yo want to pick interesting covers or write songs centred on your own instrument you will either have to 1 pay people well 2 pick numpties who won't get bored playing simply cos they can't play anymore or 3 compromise on the music.

I have played bass and guitar over the years with many keyboard players. in most cases the classically trained ones over played. all the time. yes many other musicians do so. 

If you play in band regardless of instrument you will be bored for some of the time.
  • slacker said:
    <snip>

I have played bass and guitar over the years with many keyboard players. in most cases the classically trained ones over played. all the time. yes many other musicians do so. 
    This matches my experience over the years, too. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. And, agreed, not just keyboard players are guilty. 
  • It is a thing I come back to from time to time that playing simple stuff can be harder than you think and playing nothing at all ( for parts of or whole songs even) seems to be even harder. Hence the pub band intro then everyone joins in until the end syndrome. I'm making no claims for me and my band BTW.

As an example we had a go at Watching the Detectives. Our keyboard player had no issue with the actual notes but was quite freaked out by not having to play anything at all for a few bars. She would have got there eventually but our drummer buggered the song up so mercilessly we gave up anyway.

If you watch a decent pro band they all (usually) know when to keep it simple, be complex or play nothing( and how to look interested in what else is going on). 

slacker said:
    <snip>

This matches my experience over the years, too. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. And, agreed, not just keyboard players are guilty. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • @VJives thank you for the Foals! What a pleasant surprise, apart from the vocals, I'd got it in my mind I didn't like them but enjoyed the instruments on that album on this mornings commute. That said I feel like I'd maybe prefer it if they "filled the space" a bit less, a few gaps in the spectrum here of there might make the textures a lot more interesting. Very enjoyable to listen to though. Will try the other one tomorrow.

Lol @olafgarten Beach Boys, I'd imagine it to be quite difficult to perform having ripped my ears off in pain ;)

@slacker @TheBigDipper @EricTheWeary yes very good points made throughout - I think the very fact that I'm way overthinking this suggests I'd be one who played too much of playing alongside others (I think though my liking for putting silence in my own stuff is OK but that's only on a recording basis). It's a difficult thought to put into words and I don't know if it's just me, but playing the equivalent of average guitar riffs or chords on a piano just seems much more lame somehow, like they are much more boring on piano. But that might be because I'm rubbish at guitar and OK at piano. For example, the last guitar gig I did, I was happy playing Bang Bang on guitar and singing, the last piano gig I did I played Rhapsody in Blue and it still didn't seem I'd done enough!

All in all, I think I'm not going to make it as I'll just make a meal of it. Think I'm best just trying to do my own stuff and such to recording as I can do that to my own snobbish indulgence and keep it to myself :)