Tele S1 switch to coil tap a humbucker

What's Hot
hi folks, I have a deluxe tele with s1 switching and will be putting a humbucker in the neck position.
i was gonna keep the 3 way switch and use the s1 to coil tap the bucker. I've not taken a look inside yet but just wondering if anyone has done this and are there any wiring diagrams out there. I did see a diagram on the joe barden site but not sure how this would relate to the stormy Monday pup I will be using.
any advice welcome!
The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    edited November 2016
    The S1 is a four pole double throw switch so is more than capable of splitting a humbucker. The poles are arranged in a square with the middle connection of each side being common, the left of each side being "down" and the right of each side being "up". So just connect the common to ground and the split to whichever of the other you prefer. I prefer to do a partial split as per PRS' Grissom wiring as it gives a more realistic single coil tone.
  • Thanks for that. Gonna have a look under the hood tomorrow but I think some heavy duty head scratching is on the cards,trying to work out the current wiring and reconfiguring it.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72243
    edited November 2016
    Very simple - just use any of the A and B terminals (on the same pole, obviously :) ) to connect the coil split to either ground or pickup hot, depending on which coil you want to turn off.

http://www.jbepickups.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/S1-bottom-view.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Cheers ICBM!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • Just want to check something before delving in. My tele is currently wired as per diagram which gives series/parallel option in the middle position. When I wire in my humbucker I want the switch to just coil tap the pickup. So will I need to change the way the switch is currently wired (i.e the jumper cable linking 2 of the poles) and how the s1 switch is connected to the 3 way switch?

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/bandmaster188/IMG_0700_zpsezd6cgoq.jpg
    http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/bandmaster188/IMG_0698_zpse7rwxxni.jpg
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • In terms of the coil split itself, this bare knuckle schematic illustrates it https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/downloads/schematics/profiles/humbuckers/1hum_4_con__push_pull_pot-coilsplit.pdf
    Basically, you would solder the green and white to one of the A terminals and Earth to the corresponding B.  Therefore, when you push the switch down, it will short out the second coil.

Hope this helps :)

Andy
  • In terms of the coil split itself, this bare knuckle schematic illustrates it https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/downloads/schematics/profiles/humbuckers/1hum_4_con__push_pull_pot-coilsplit.pdf
    Basically, you would solder the green and white to one of the A terminals and Earth to the corresponding B.  Therefore, when you push the switch down, it will short out the second coil.

Andy
    Hi Andy, I understand how the new pickup needs to be wired in, its how it's currently configured that's got me a bit baffled. I think I may need to remove the jumper  cable that goes from terminal A on pole 1 to A on pole 2. Or not???
    will probably have a play around this afternoon and use the tried and tested trial and error method!
    cheers
    The Swamp City Shakers

Andy
    Hi Andy, I understand how the new pickup needs to be wired in, its how it's currently configured that's got me a bit baffled. I think I may need to remove the jumper  cable that goes from terminal A on pole 1 to A on pole 2. Or not???
    will probably have a play around this afternoon and use the tried and tested trial and error method!
    cheers
    No - you won't need the jumper cable if you are not continuing to use the S1 switch for its original purpose. 
  • Nice one! I'll report back when it's all working!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72243
    If it's too confusing, the first thing to do is remove all connections to the S1 and rewire the guitar exactly as a standard Tele, ignoring the S1. Then simply add the coil-split to the S1 afterwards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    If it's too confusing, the first thing to do is remove all connections to the S1 and rewire the guitar exactly as a standard Tele, ignoring the S1. Then simply add the coil-split to the S1 afterwards.
    Yes it's confusing!
    first attempt has ended in failure. Will try this when I get back later.
    cheers!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBM said:
    Yes - that's very good advice
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    edited November 2016
    ICBM said:
    Yes - that's very good advice
    Sure is! The 3 way switch was wired very differently to a standard tele 3 way. And that was causing the confusion. Have stripped it all out and rewired the switch. Will finish it up tomorrow. Thanks @ICBM !
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • @Andyjr1515 ;
    here ya go Andy. All sorted now and sounding good. Might end up experimenting with a 500k pot at some point, but it'll do for now! Cheers for the pickup fella.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/bandmaster188/IMG_0704_zpsedqwmlov.jpg

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/bandmaster188/IMG_0703_zpsnvhnztu3.jpg
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • Oh WOW - looks beautiful   :)     How does it sound? 
  • It's a little bit woolly on the low end which I kind of expected with the 250k pot but apart from that it sounds sweet. Works nicely for slide which is why I wanted a bucker in there. This Tele is the only guitar I've owned where I can go from standard tuning to open E for slide without the need for action adjustments . I don't know why, it just likes it and so do I!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • It's a little bit woolly on the low end which I kind of expected with the 250k pot but apart from that it sounds sweet. Works nicely for slide which is why I wanted a bucker in there. This Tele is the only guitar I've owned where I can go from standard tuning to open E for slide without the need for action adjustments . I don't know why, it just likes it and so do I!
    Sounds great :)