This birthyear guitar malarcky...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• When I was at Trading Musician, Seattle, a few years ago, they had a lovely, fiesta red Mustang dated 03/03/66, exactly one week older than me. They wanted $1300 for it, which I would have quite happily paid if I'd had the spare cash. I bet chances like that don't crop up too often.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 30911
    edited January 2014
    dindude said:
    I'm '75 too, for my 40th next year I have considered bullying wife/family into YOB guitar and Fender Mustang is the best I can come up with.
    Even if it has to be a Fender you could get a nice Jazzmaster from '75. Like the Mustang, they buggered around with them less than the Strats and Teles. The Jaguar was discontinued in '74 unfortunately. It's also the first year of the mighty Starcaster, although those are going for big money now.

Plenty of other good 70s brands too.

Or you could get an Ovation!
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 5199
    ICBM said:
    dindude said:
    I'm '75 too, for my 40th next year I have considered bullying wife/family into YOB guitar and Fender Mustang is the best I can come up with.
    Even if it has to be a Fender you could get a nice Jazzmaster from '75. Like the Mustang, they buggered around with them less than the Strats and Teles. The Jaguar was discontinued in '74 unfortunately. It's also the first year of the mighty Starcaster, although those are going for big money now.

Plenty of other good 70s brands too.

Or you could get an Ovation!
    Hmm, I'll pass on the ovation thanks, could go a Guild M-75 though, going purely on looks that is, not sure if they are good or dogs and how much value they have. 
    dindude said:
    Hmm, I'll pass on the ovation thanks, could go a Guild M-75 though, going purely on looks that is, not sure if they are good or dogs and how much value they have. 
    70s Guild solids are generally well-made, although some of them suffer from neck angle problems - not sure if the M-75 is one of the models affected. (S100s are.) Not hugely valuable but I doubt they'll get any cheaper.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1332
    Trying to think what was especially good in 1964. Some LP or ES model maybe.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 1059
    Yeah 78 for me too,did they do comp mustangs then?
    '64 is the first year of the Mustang, Duo-Sonic II and Musicmaster II.

Competition Mustangs stopped in '73 I think.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2935
    Bucket said:

Suggestions from 1995 are appreciated btw, if anyone fancies helping me to find yet another thing to GAS for. Only thing I've found so far that really appeals is an old Ibanez Paul Gilbert model, which is quite rare and presumably expensive.
    I wasn't thinking much of guitar in 1995, but my only guess at what might have been around then is a Noel Gallagher Epiphone Union Jack. I assume that doesn't appeal. 

Mine is 1975. A Strat with a big headstock in Austin Allegro shit brown doesn't appeal. 

On the other hand, a 1975 Black Gibson Les Paul Custom is my current dream guitar.  
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7598
    edited January 2014
    Skarloey said:
    On the other hand, a 1975 Black Gibson Les Paul Custom is my current dream guitar.  
    One of mine too.

@johnnyurq - there'd be no LPs in 1964, they'd turned into SGs by then.

Strat perhaps?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1332
    Ooh good point @Bucket and an SG like Bobby Krieger's may do it nicely.

Not averse to a Strat either but an ES175 or simular may be awesome.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5670

those significant occasions which mark life,

Actually my Strat is from 2007, a year I had major issues with my Crohn's, and spent a week in hospital after a major reaction to treatment (basically I couldn't move........)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 3802
    ChrisMusic;135885" said:
    So why not just extend the concept a bit;year of conception   :)
    I've looked at it the opposite way, my '79 would have probably been a piece of timber on a shelf in '78 so it's near enough!

Actually I've never bothered to work out the exact month it was made. Could be closer to my YOB than I think...
  • '84 here. I almost went for a faded-white LP Custom a few years ago, but t was overpriced.
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 132
    Bidley said:
    1986 is a tough one for me, especially as I'm a big superstrat fan.
    1986 PRS will set you back a few grand :)

• bignormbignorm Frets: 132
    I'm 1957, so that'll be a bit pricey...
    Silly money for a strat or lester from that period :(

• bertiebertie Frets: 1592
    '64  - so thats a £10k strat  or nowt worthwhile.

• Being 1959 it will have to be a reissue which is what I hope they do with me. I did own a 1959 Supro for twenty years but it was more of an effect than a real player. I did the Fender visit just when they were doing the prebuild on the 1959 American Vintage series a couple of years back, and gassed on the faded sonic blue slab board 59. But in the end when I actually got to play one a few months later when they were launched I actually preferred my parts caster and found it hard to justify.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 1605
    My drummers dad has a nice 73 lp custom I've got tabs on. I've also got a 73 tele saved search on ebay. Just the cash now, then.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1115
    ChrisMusic said:    ... those significant occasions which mark life,
    mike_l said:   Actually my Strat is from 2007, a year I had major issues with my Crohn's, and spent a week in hospital after a major reaction to treatment (basically I couldn't move........)
    After surviving a tough time like that, it is an affirmation of life, and a pretty good reason to celebrate life with your Strat IMHO.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 3802
    I've got my eye on this ' 78 deluxe.

http://bit.ly/1eI7xJ9

Once the cream plastics are on it should look much better.

I might put a cheeky offer in...

I know you should always play before you buy and 70's LP's get a hard time. But....
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 2378
    Being 1959 it will have to be a reissue which is what I hope they do with me. I did own a 1959 Supro for twenty years but it was more of an effect than a real player. I did the Fender visit just when they were doing the prebuild on the 1959 American Vintage series a couple of years back, and gassed on the faded sonic blue slab board 59. But in the end when I actually got to play one a few months later when they were launched I actually preferred my parts caster and found it hard to justify.
    I didn't think we were allowing reissues..  ;)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Bertie and jonnyurq will have beaten me to the 64 strats and I can't get excited about a duo sonic or jaguar. Maybe something like a Teisco Del Rey and get my Houndog vibe on.
    I think the closest I could really get would be looking for a second hand 64 reissue Tele. In white blonde. Feck, really giving that some thought now.Or if it had to be from the actual year a Deluxe Reverb would give me that authenticity ( yes, its not a guitar, I know).
    I feel the warm, healing, liquid presence of God’s genuine cold-filtered grace. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 1588
    I wish I'd followed up on my half formed idea of searching out a decent non 'boat anchor' 74 Strat 10-12 years ago back when they weren't daft money for what they are...

Mind you, as a man who's recently come to the idea of Jazzmasters maybe a 74 example of one of those..
  • 1972, doubt there's much of interest for me.

• ThePrettyDamned;135704" said:
    1990 anyone?

Nope? No great legendary guitars from then?

*shuffles back into man cave to learn alter bridge songs*
    Charvel 750XL will cost you at least 4x the new cost....

In 76 all guitars were crap. I'm safe.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 5414
    edited January 2014
    Is a bugger for me - 1958 - is masses of iconic bloody gear....! anything marketed/and or built in either '57 58 or 59 comes into my corner
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • A 1964 175 would do me....

9 days off 50 here, but I'm not counting.....
    :-$
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3853
    57Deluxe;136308" said:
    Is a bugger for me - 1958 - is masses of iconic bloody gear....! anything marketed/and or built in either '57 58 or 59 comes into my corner
    Best get the overtime in, or the bonus fettled. ;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter