New guitar, need some help

What's Hot
paulhpaulh Frets: 0
HI,
Starting to get a bit better at this guitar playing lark now so I'm going to treat myself to a shiny new axe to replace my cheapo ageing Ibanez. the one I'm looking at has a floyd rose type locking trem. Never touched one before so is there anything I need to know about tuning, changing strings etc? I'm assuming you get it about right with the pegs, lock the nut then fine tune with the screws on the bridge? Do these things stay in tune well enough?
Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Well, I was a bit dubious about floating trems, only ever had hard tails, and then went so far as to block off the trems on my first three Ibanez RGs.

On the 4th RG I decided to try it.... not a problem as it turns out.

Basically, so long as I change one string at a time, stretch each string in nicely, then every thing is fine.  And they do stay in tune.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Try before you buy as they are a bit of an acquired taste. 

Essentially you get a bit more bother when changing strings in return for it never going out of tune. 
    I personally don't bother with them as I find both the PRS trem and the Bladerunner on my Strat never go out of tune when set up properly.
  • There is a bit of debate over locking vibrato quality.

Basically, some ibanez ones are known to not last long or develop problems. They don't seem too consistent, though, but look into the specific models.

I've used an original Floyd rose (Korean, rather than a cheaper licensed one) and it's made in the same way as the 'proper' Floyd rose ones, but in the East. Very nice it was, kept tune great (mik bc rich gunslinger, if you wanna look for one). My mate has a guitar fitted with a gotoh one, and it's just as good and works perfectly. Has done for several years now.

Some cheaper ones are made from pot metal and seem easy to break, basically. Try before you buy, as with everything guitar related.
  • When changing strings (more than one at a time) I find a pack of playing cards is really handy to keep the tremolo in place,
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/219/floyd-restringing-adjusting#latest

Follow directions until you're happy, or give us a shout if you get stuck.

Just remember not to over (or under) tighten the screws..

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulhpaulh Frets: 0
    mike_l said:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/219/floyd-restringing-adjusting#latest

Follow directions until you're happy, or give us a shout if you get stuck.

Just remember not to over (or under) tighten the screws..

Brillliant, cheers!

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Just remember the screws literally need nipping up, you're clamping a guitar string not attaching an axle to a truck.

Ask me how I know.........

There's a pissabolity I've over tightened and broken saddles before..........

:-S

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)