What are you reading at the moment?

What's Hot

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    'They All Love Jack' by Bruce Robinson. 

I got this book out of the library by mistake and though I dislike Jack the Ripper intensely, I will read anything by Bruce Robinson. 

If you read this, you'd think anything by any other Ripper writer was a birthday present. Heavy stuff. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625

Not deep or taxing but........

Twisting my Melon - Shaun Ryder

It`s actually a good read, if you remember the culture of late 80`s early 90`s, it`s quite nostalgic with some real laugh out loud moments too, I've been sniggering on the tube a fair few times.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    The Kamikaze Hunters: Fighting for the Pacific, 1945 by Will Iredale. True account of Fleet Air Arm pilots fighting in the Pacific Theatre towards the end of WWII. Well written and gripping. Recommended.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Guitar Amp Handbook. Recommended!
    Some book on spectrum analysis.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    As I'm not much of a reader but here in a car park in Chablis (for @Skarloey)  I enjoyed reading a history of the English Civil Wars. So much I didn't know but such a confusing history I'm still not sure what went on. By contrast also read Sue Perkins' memoir which was incredibly funny in parts and pretty much page filling at other times. Not enough Bake Off content either. 
    Part way through A Short History of Everything by Bill Bryson,  £3.85 from Tesco.  As it's popular science even I know some of it is dated now but it makes some dense subjects approachable. 
    Although the big bang theory still not as complex as French shop opening times... 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5460
    Screwfix catalogue.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 611
    edited August 2016

Letters and despatches of Lord Nelson and the Time of Juluis Ceasar, that will keep me quiet for a while... the former is 3500 pages or so

@erictheweary I hope the weather in Chablis is suitably dry...

I read one of the Wimpy Kid books the other day. Great fun. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72. HST following the '72 Presidential election, I'm a few pages in and nothing's happened, but HST is a genius and it's already looking like a great read.

Bertrand Russell's Autobiography, one extremely clever man, he's a bit of a hero of mine, I'm up to his university days so far, looking forward to his coming of age.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

Gets a lol.  =) Very non descript town other than the large number of places selling wine,  on the way out of town there is a road with about six supermarket sized wine places plus all the small ones in the town centre. 

My eldest got into An Unfortunate Series of Events. I read a couple of those,  quite interesting. The film adaptation wasn't great but there is a TV series on the way. 

Skarloey said:
    @erictheweary I hope the weather in Chablis is suitably dry...

I read one of the Wimpy Kid books the other day. Great fun. 

Last night was on an Aires by Lens football stadium. Basically a huge public car park with a football ground and macdonalds  at one end and blocks of flats at the other. 
    Not a pretty place but at least I can treat myself to a macdonalds coffee on my way this morning. No,  doesn't open until ten. What branch of macdonalds doesn't open until ten?  French opening hours...  :s
    As I'm not much of a reader but here in a car park in Chablis (for @Skarloey)  I enjoyed reading a history of the English Civil Wars. So much I didn't know but such a confusing history I'm still not sure what went on. By contrast also read Sue Perkins' memoir which was incredibly funny in parts and pretty much page filling at other times. Not enough Bake Off content either. 
    Part way through A Short History of Everything by Bill Bryson,  £3.85 from Tesco.  As it's popular science even I know some of it is dated now but it makes some dense subjects approachable. 
    Although the big bang theory still not as complex as French shop opening times... 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    Moon over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch. Someone on here posted about the Rivers of London series and I thought it sounded interesting, sort of Harry Potter The Fearsome Vampire Killer joins the Met. Enjoying it so far. 
    edited August 2016
    @EricTheWeary ;;
    Are you in a camper van or in hotels? 

In case of a query, my summer reading in this thread, following Eric around France by proxy. 
    Old rental motorhome that I ran into another car this morning  :/ No one hurt but actually back in the UK now. Mostly stopped on aires* which are free or low cost motorhome stopping places.  Vary a lot though -  we've been at the back of a beach and at the back of an adhesives factory. 

Hitting VWs owned by angry Italian's aside it's generally easier driving a big vehicle in France than the UK and you see loads of mohos around. Quite a few vehicles that look like ex army trucks converted into campers for some reason on the aires. Lots and lots of Dutch motorhomers all speaking perfect English and moaning about how lazy the French are (although having been woken up by French bin men sorting out the recycling at 2am perhaps they only work under cover of darkness). 

*aire d'camping car,  more specifically. Aires also the name given to motorway rest areas but you can't sleep on those. 

Skarloey said:
    @EricTheWeary ;;
    Are you in a camper van or in hotels? 

In case of a query, my summer reading in this thread, following Eric around France by proxy. 

@EricTheWeary Shit mate. Sorry to hear about the prang. 

• RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    @Dave_Vader 's book. So far it's a bit too close to reality for comfort
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    I enjoy a WWII biography and my latest is Torpedo Leader, a story of Beaufort operations against axis shipping in the med via Malta.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited September 2017
    Grunfeld said:
    "Moral Tribes" -- brilliant book.  It's an examination of why it is that people don't form opinions based upon the best scientific evidence but rather choose to go with the narrative which fits their world view. 

I'm fascinated by the reasons why people believe things which don't make rational sense -- this book is worth reading if you're into that too. 
    You probably want to read this then .. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapiens-Humankind-Yuval-Noah-Harari/dp/0099590085/
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Harry Potter and the Cursed child.

I had low expectations but its been really good!

• Robert Plant biography.