What are you reading at the moment?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Skarloey said: 

If you get seriously into Lovecraft, the Penguin books edition edited by ST Joshi is worth a look, because his introductions and notes genuinely help to understand and enjoy the stories more.
    Thanks for that tip!  I re-read HPL's complete works last year, but my (Kindle) edition has no notes or additional information and the stories aren't even in chronological order.  I often found myself wishing for a bit of background info and historical context.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Whenever I read lovecraft I wish they had invented thesauruses back then. He is hands down the worst author for word repetition ever (closely followed by Dan Brown) which is a shame because the imagery and idea of the Cthulu mythos is pretty awesome.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @Philly_Q

Yes get the Joshi editions if you seriously like your Lovecraft. They're the authoritative texts and he's probably the world expert on HPL (that's the writer and not what Martin use on budget acoustics).
  • d8md8m Frets: 2431
    edited January 2015
    On this now:

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Skarloey said:
    @Philly_Q

Yes get the Joshi editions if you seriously like your Lovecraft. They're the authoritative texts and he's probably the world expert on HPL
    I'd agree with this.

I also have "The Complete Poems" which is edited by Joshi.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    Finished The Cyberiad last night.

It started of well but towards the end was a struggle.

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672
    recently finished books include:

Ancillary Sword - not bad, but felt like the middle book of a trilogy (or more), which it might well be.

The Invisible Library - a debut novel, I enjoyed it and would probably buy the next one.

The Causal Angel - the third book in a trilogy that I have generally enjoyed.

I've just started one called The Painted Man and after that it'll be House Of Leaves.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    For some reason I seem to be working my way through every book that has ever been written on the JFK assassination.
    I may have to reconsider this as it is not ideal bedtime reading and inducing dreams about the Zapruder home movie is not recommended.

So for the moment I have switched to  Pattie Boyd's  autobiography. A very dull book indeed. Not unlike reading a Shopping List.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    How I escaped my certain fate by Stewart Lee. Very interesting insight into his "no actual jokes" brand of comedy. 

The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro by Joe McGinnis. Brilliant if you vaguely like football - an inside view of a tiny Italian team's first season in Serie B. Curruption, Mafia, sex+drugs and proper football passion/moaning. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 610
    Despatches and letter of Lord Nelson over 7 volumes 1797-1805

Scarrow Time Riders series book 8
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    edited January 2015
    Just finished Damocles by S.G Redling - good SF front an odd perspective - the linguistic expert on first contact.  Really enjoyed it.

Just started The Abyss Beyond Dreams by Peter F Hamilton - went of him a bit a while ago, but short of authors to follow at the moment. So far, so good.

Before Damocles - I tried some other Tolkien finished The Silmarillion, but it was very hard work, bailed on Unfinished Tales.  These are nothing like LOTR or The Hobbit.  I found the overly-long intros to both by his son Christopher annoying and self-serving.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I tried the Midwitch Cuckoos by John Wyndham, but it lacks the drive of Triffids, so have temporarily put it aside.

Instead I'm onto "Hostage to the Devil", a set of case studies on exorcisms written by Malachi Martin, a Jesuit priest who claims to have exorcised many people.

Not that I am convinced there is either god or a devil but I likes a good scare
    and this us one scary, very heavy book.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5773
    Just finished Pulp by Bukowski, first one of his I've read and didn't really get it. Bit too many metaphors in there for me, but strange.

I've been told I should read his other stuff before trying Pulp so I will give them a go.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• lloyd said:
    Just finished Pulp by Bukowski, first one of his I've read and didn't really get it. Bit too many metaphors in there for me, but strange.

I've been told I should read his other stuff before trying Pulp so I will give them a go.
    Try "Post Office", which I thought was great.
    Planet18;492884" said:
    lloyd said:

Try "Post Office", which I thought was great.
    Yeah I will, I think I'll like him if he's not being too weird-he wrote pulp while he was dying I believe so was dealing with all those issues.

• I haven't read "Pulp", but "Post Office" isn't too weird. Very boozy though!
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Kurt Vonnegut - Cats cradle. Skinny book but keeps you thinking for weeks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Planet18;492903" said:
    I haven't read "Pulp", but "Post Office" isn't too weird. Very boozy though!
    Booze has been my job and hobby over the years, now just a hobby....I think I'll enjoy that

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TinLip said:
    Yes my man.

Have a wisdom!

Unless you would prefer some Ice-9?

• TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    d8m said:
    TinLip said:
    Yes my man.

Have a wisdom!

Unless you would prefer some Ice-9?
    I'm all over this Bokononism.