Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NVGD - OMG - GAS over!

What's Hot

Comments

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371

merlin said:
     Any ideas where I can source one? Although I don't think it's really necessary apart from completeness sake, so happy to keep it in a decent protecting case. 
    No - Don't buy one!
    I was just interested.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    Congratulations, what a great score!!  I saw this one on eBay and wondered if it would show up on this site at some point.

I can't wait to get the final bits of my funds together to go get myself a vintage single cut.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    nickb_boy said:
    Congratulations, what a great score!!  I saw this one on eBay and wondered if it would show up on this site at some point.
    Yes, that was the one. He is a really nice guy with some cracking vintage guitars. He took an offer from me readily and I simply couldn't resist. 
    edited November 2016
    Mine is now a decoration item in the music room:
    Much more useful as an ornament than as a guitar case...!
  • merlin said:
    Much more useful as an ornament

Precisely what my wife said about me last night... then she added: 'Of course, I mean the sort of ornament a relative gives you as a Christmas gift - so you just can't throw it away... even though you really want to.'

Lovely looking guitar, by the way.

• Beautiful guitar, enjoy!

On another note (d'oh) is my bakelite Boosey & Hawkes clarinet bought new in approx 1965 worth anything?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • nice one. how does she play?
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    edited November 2016
    Beautiful guitar, enjoy!

On another note (d'oh) is my bakelite Boosey & Hawkes clarinet bought new in approx 1965 worth anything?

Boosey & Hawkes bakelite clarinets were made for students (a bit like the Les Paul Juniors). Main difference is that they're not very good quality. However they do hold their pitch well. I reckon £80 tops... Bakelite is an early plastic, basically a phenol resin and probably not the best material for clarinets. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    Have a wow from me, looks amazing.
    edited December 2020
    monoamine said:
    nice one. how does she play?
    It's a wonderful player, already great action with no extra setup. Action is perfect and intonation went from slightly sharp as I played further up the neck, to pretty close to perfect. The neck is a lovely handful, just perfect! No dead spots, no choking, just does exactly what it needs to do! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That is very tasty indeed. Enjoy.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    It doesn't get much better than a vintage sunburst SC junior. Wonderful! HNGD.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • S**t the bed! That is a stunner! I love sunburst SC juniors and that looks great! Good score
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2016
    So here's the thing. It's bloody perfect but I'm not sure I can justify keeping it. There's a big part of me that just wants to keep it and another (possibly bigger part) that would rather a new CS version that I can relax with and gig with and not shit my pants with in a noisy, crowded venue. Sad but true. This is NOT a hidden sales thread, but I'd love to know your feelings. Bear in mind that my main living is not playing guitar, but clarinet. I gig on guitar, and have a tour coming up in March, where I will play on about 8 songs, but mainly clarinets... Gulp. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    merlin said:
    So here's the thing. It's bloody perfect but I'm not sure I can justify keeping it. There's a big part of me that just wants to keep it and another (possibly bigger part) that would rather a new CS version that I can relax with and gig with and not shit my pants with in a noisy, crowded venue. Sad but true. This is NOT a hidden sales thread, but I'd love to know your feelings. Bear in mind that I my main living is not playing guitar, but clarinet. I gig on guitar, and have a tour coming up in March, where I will play on about 8 songs, but mainly clarinets... Gulp. 
    Sell it and you will regret it.

Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but for the rest of your life...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    merlin said:
    So here's the thing. It's bloody perfect but I'm not sure I can justify keeping it. There's a big part of me that just wants to keep it and another (possibly bigger part) that would rather a new CS version that I can relax with and gig with and not shit my pants with in a noisy, crowded venue. Sad but true. This is NOT a hidden sales thread, but I'd love to know your feelings. Bear in mind that I my main living is not playing guitar, but clarinet. I gig on guitar, and have a tour coming up in March, where I will play on about 8 songs, but mainly clarinets... Gulp. 
    Oh and if you were touring out of the country then I'd say leave it at home anyway what with Braz Rosewood etc..
    edited December 2016
    Oh and if you were touring out of the country then I'd say leave it at home anyway what with Braz Rosewood etc..
    The tour is UK only, but I wouldn't take it on that either. I have a 1975 Arbiter DC Junior with a Lindy Fralin that would do for touring. I will probably take my Trussart with TV Jones' and Bigsby as it happens... 

Sell it and you will regret it.

Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but for the rest of your life...
    Yeah, maybe for longer! Harsh but fair! 
  • Sell it, move on. Otherwise it's an expensive ornament :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    merlin said:
    So here's the thing. It's bloody perfect but I'm not sure I can justify keeping it. There's a big part of me that just wants to keep it and another (possibly bigger part) that would rather a new CS version that I can relax with and gig with and not shit my pants with in a noisy, crowded venue. Sad but true. This is NOT a hidden sales thread, but I'd love to know your feelings. Bear in mind that my main living is not playing guitar, but clarinet. I gig on guitar, and have a tour coming up in March, where I will play on about 8 songs, but mainly clarinets... Gulp. 
    Keep it and use it - that's what it was made for. It's not in museum condition anyway.

Given the wear on the end of the headstock and that the head has never been broken, I'd guess it's a naturally strong one. I had a '57 like that - it looked like the head had been used to dig roads with, but it was never broken. On some of them the wood grain follows the curve of the headstock quite well, and the mid-50s ones are also often quite 'flared' behind the nut rather than 'scooped' as some of the later ones are - have a look at the shape from the side and the grain if you can see it. That can make them much stronger than you would expect and less of a worry for gigging.

Classical musicians gig with violins worth tens of times as much as that, anyway.

I wouldn't fly with it though, that is a step too far.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited December 2016
    Luverly  <3 many congrats.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)