Traynor YCV40 for a Fender Blues Deluxe

TonyMTonyM Frets: 39
Am I bit mad for wanting to trade in a very lovely amp for one that looks nicer but will give me very similar results for my limited skills?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    Close call, although personally I wouldn't - or not if you have to put money into the deal anyway.

I think the Traynor sounds better - especially for overdriven sounds - although I like the Blues Deluxe too. The Traynor is also more flexible in having separate EQ for the two channels - the Fender is notoriously difficult to set right for both channels, to the point that many people simply don't use the Drive channel.

But, the Fender is probably going to hold its value better and would be easier to sell or trade on again if you want to change again, and is easier to service if it ever needs to be. (The Traynors aren't fun to work on!)

I don't think the Traynor looks bad, although I wish they hadn't put that cheap-looking metal badge thing on the front, and I'm still not sure about the slightly off-square cabinet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TonyMTonyM Frets: 39
    Cheers ICBM.
    These are comments that are voiced many times as I've scoured the web searching for an answer.
    It's probably quite typical but the appearance is something I only ever consider when I'm not playing it.
    It would be a major financial decision; I'd only get maybe 275 for the YCV.
    Thanks for your help :)
    No problem… if it's any help I also had a YCV20 - which I eventually sold recently - I loved the sound of it, and I actually liked that it looked *different* from other amps, even though I wasn't quite sure about the look! 

The thing that put me off it finally was the build quality and serviceability - even though I'm more than happy to work on my own amps it was a real pain to get into, and I wasn't convinced it was going to be a good long-term bet. From memory the YVC40 is a bit better though. Whether it matters to anyone who isn't bothered about poking around inside their own amp, I'm not sure!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I certainly won't be doing anything other than rolling tubes! Incidentally, the previous owner had upgraded the tubes to JJ KT88 which apparently has an impact upon sound. I am bothered about looks as it's out in living room constantly.
    The next visit to Denmark St may prove decisive...
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    edited January 2014
    I'm with ICBM- when I tried the ycv40 I came away with the impression that it sounded like what the hot rod deluxe should've sounded like. The blues deluxe (from hazy memory) is a bit better than the HRD, but still I imagine the traynor's od channel would be a fair bit better.

That was only from trying them in the shop, so obviously I have no idea about reliability etc.so listen to ICBM on that. And what he says about resale is worth bearing in mind, too.

Thomann sometimes has the ycv50b in stock for a pretty decent price (>£500)- far as i'm aware it's almost the same as the 40 except for the power tubes (which I think can be swapped for 6L6es, but don't quote me on that) and speaker. Just to give you another option (though they're out of stock at the moment and their traynor stocks seem to be going down, I hope they're not stopping stocking them :)) ).
    Thanks. If I keep the YCV I'll certainly be putting the other money to good use. The BDL is just so lovely to look at... so shallow.
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    edited January 2014
    YCV50 is a fantastic amp, I have the blue one they did before the current black one. Really nice sounding on both channels and great reverb. Found the fx loop a bit picky on pedals it liked, and mine developed a fault where it cuts out after a while and as ICBM has said, they aren't fun to work on. I haven't tried but the few guys I've enquired with about getting it checked out have all said it isn't worth it financially as they take a bit of time to work on and parts are expensive over here, so it becomes uneconomical to get them fixed for their low resale value. May seem a bit gloomy, but worth considering.

EDIT: ah I see, though the trade was the other way around! Seeing as you already own the ycv and get on with it I reckon I'd be inclined to keep it too!
    Cheers all
    ragingben said:
    I haven't tried but the few guys I've enquired with about getting it checked out have all said it isn't worth it financially as they take a bit of time to work on and parts are expensive over here, so it becomes uneconomical to get them fixed for their low resale value.
    That's ridiculous… they aren't that bad! Any half-decent tech could have it to bits in half an hour. If it cuts out and then comes back on it can't be anything serious - most likely a broken solder joint. It can't cost anywhere near the value of the amp.

Shame you're at the other end of the country :(.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    ragingben said:
    EDIT: ah I see, though the trade was the other way around! Seeing as you already own the ycv and get on with it I reckon I'd be inclined to keep it too!
    I only noticed that now you mentioned it. :)) I assumed he had the Fender and was wanting to trade for the Traynor :))