Wiring Convention On Strat Pickups

So I've got this set of Alex Pribora Strat pickups that I'm putting into a guitar for a friend but I've lost the little sheet with the wiring diagram on and despite repeated emails to Pribora out in Moscow no response.

So,I know there's the whole RWRP thing etc etc but assuming its just a normal set of Strat pickups would you go white lead hot, black lead earth ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72211
    DrBob said:
    So I've got this set of Alex Pribora Strat pickups that I'm putting into a guitar for a friend but I've lost the little sheet with the wiring diagram on and despite repeated emails to Pribora out in Moscow no response.

So,I know there's the whole RWRP thing etc etc but assuming its just a normal set of Strat pickups would you go white lead hot, black lead earth ?
    It doesn't matter as long as you keep them all the same. Usual convention is to make black the ground.

Some people find it makes a small difference to noise levels depending on which way round they are. The theory is that if the outer windings are grounded, the coil is partially shielded. But this makes the inner windings the hot, which if one has a bit of chipped lacquer and contacts the polepiece it's wrapped onto, you'll get a loud noise if you touch it while playing, or kill the sound completely if a string touches it.

That's probably more than you wanted to know, sorry :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    @ICBM ;

no mate that's great to know, thanks very much. All being well the guitar will be coming in this week to be 'commissioned' (nut installed & cut & a setup). I'd hoped to do it myself but I'm off working away for a fortnight starting Friday and he needs it not long after I get back !