So how do you folks use delay?

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
edited January 2014 in FX tFB Trader
When I watch rig rundowns I see things like Andy Timmons with two Memory Man Delays on all the time and GG who has a Flashback on all the time, but whenever I try and do this it always sounds like there are just a load of notes playing at the wrong time getting in the way (but not when I listen to other people doing the same). 

I do keep the repeats and mix fairly low, but it either seems to be so low it's not making much difference or it sounds "wrong" to my ears. 

I do like delay on a big rock solo, but I find two clicks when playing live too much for my simple brain.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    Use one wet amp and one dry amp. 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    For going boooooiiiinnnggg.

I thought @monquixote you were a funk guy now, in which case isn't delay the enemy? Don't you want a dry, snappy sound?

As I'm not really the big rock solo guy a bit of slapback is instant atmosphere on rockabilly type stuff and big triplet delays for atmospheric dub type things. I have also used a modulated delay quite happily pretty much as a substitute for reverb, really just filling in the spaces between the notes on clean riffs.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I use two delays at once to create big spacious soundscapes; directly into the front of the amp, not the FX loop.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I tend to set the feedback so that if I strum the muted strings I'll get at most 3 repeats before the sound trails away. Then I set the mix so that there's a pretty even fade between my strum and the last echo I can hear.

I find that with those settings you can hear the first repeat in a band mix, the other two just contribute a little ambience. What you play is pretty important, because if your repeats are landing in the wrong place in the bar they'll end up fighting you.

Personally I like modulated digital delay because you can use the modulation to differentiate between what you're playing and what is a repeat. Then it's just a matter of working out what works best with the part you play/time sig etc - 8th, dotted 8th, quarter note, and tap tempoing at the start of the song.
  • I use the repeater for washy, tape stuff on clean sounds to make it sound more soundscapey (you can have a lot of fun just using a single chord and just playing around) or (more usually) I set it on analogue, set the modulation as max chorus and use it in dotted 8ths or one of the compound ones and just use it for solos.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited January 2014

I use them in the Loop (generally) for a "rock solo" type thing. Digital for a longer or modern type delay analogue for shorter or old school type delay.

Although since bigjon used my DD-6 into the front of an amp whilst playing "Another brick in the wall", I've experimented a bit more with them into the front.

I prefer to use a few repeats rather than go OTT with them. 

Ref the switching thing, give me a shout if you want to try my switcher unit. Personally I think it's awesome.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    In the loop usually - digital delay with or without modulation for long repeats fairly low down in the mix to add space, analogue delay for slapback and self-oscillation fairly high in the mix.

Not particularly interested in tap tempo. Either I play everything at exactly the same speed or it doesn't interfere with what I'm doing… I just set it to something that sounds right and leave it at that. 135mS for slapback (by ear if it doesn't have a readout) or probably about 420-430mS for 'long' echo normally I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I went through a few delay pedals and had the same problem. I just ended up turning them off because they were in the way.

Then I got a carbon copy and on any delay setting and on either dirty or clean it just fits. modulation on always! :-)
  • I use delay to cover up my shitty sloppy playing.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Does anyone use it for rhythm playing? Bar the slapback/instant delay type.

I use mine in big solos like everyone else. Besides that, it's used pretty sparsely.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Branshen said:
    Does anyone use it for rhythm playing? Bar the slapback/instant delay type. 
    Yes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    I thought @monquixote you were a funk guy now, in which case isn't delay the enemy? Don't you want a dry, snappy sound?
    Yes indeedy. I am Mr Funk from funky town, but GG and Timmons play funky stuff occasionally, but are apparently permanently delayed. 

Mostly it's an excuse to buy more pedals. :D

I used to have a Memory Boy which I used for wonkey chords with lots of mod (stupidly sold it)

Now I have a Deep Blue clone, but I find it hard to find anywhere to use it other than as an enhancement to big solos, but this requires the two click thing that is beyond me.

The solution may be to get a loop switcher. 
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    I use it to distract me from my rubbish playing!

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

You want to borrow mine for a week or so, see how you get on? PM me if you do.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    I am an advocate of the 'on all the time' approach. I like the way it adds more sustain if used in the right way.
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    I am an advocate of the 'on all the time' approach. I like the way it adds more sustain if used in the right way.
    What settings do you use?
    tFB Trader
    mike_l said:
    You want to borrow mine for a week or so, see how you get on? PM me if you do.
    Cheers dude 

I may take you up on that offer. 
    Got a bit of gear tweaking to do first, but I'll give you a shout in a week or two.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited January 2014
    I use a Flashback and until recently, used the 2290 setting to get big, arena solos and Andy Summers/EJ on cleans (switch it off for funk) and that's 400-440ms with 3-4 progressively fading repeats. I also used the Slapback setting in a regular way (switched between the 2) but found if I turned up the Delay to near full on this setting and played with the Mix to find the spot where you hear the effect, but it doesn't take over, I got a reverby/delay that works perfectly as a "leave on all the time", so maybe try pushing things past a regular/obvious Slapback setting and playing with the Mix.
    Have you considered using a Ducking Delay setting so it doesn't get in the way of your rhythms?
    The best "leave on delay" I've heard, and played, is @dindude's Diamond Memory Lane Jr. A bit pricey but once you hear it..........:)
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58
    ICBM said:
    In the loop usually - digital delay with or without modulation for long repeats fairly low down in the mix to add space, analogue delay for slapback and self-oscillation fairly high in the mix.

Not particularly interested in tap tempo. Either I play everything at exactly the same speed or it doesn't interfere with what I'm doing… I just set it to something that sounds right and leave it at that. 135mS for slapback (by ear if it doesn't have a readout) or probably about 420-430mS for 'long' echo normally I think.

Hmm- I thought I was the only one who didn't care much about tap tempo.  Like you, I just set it to whatever sounds good/seems appropriate, and go with it.

I love the atmospheric stuff, the slapback effect, and the triggered repeats.  For more interesting delay sounds, I like multi-tap and echo filters.   I also like to use delay to add a sense of space to my sound.  Currently my Carbon Copy is in the loop, but I like it better in front.  Just haven't gotten around to switching it back yet.  If I want a digi delay, I grab the Flashback.  ( or just use the Mustang's)

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I use a Boss DD2, most of the time I have it set to repeat once at about 2/3 volume and once at about 1/3 volume, roughly 375ms apart. If you watch from 26:55, just before the start of the song I quickly whack the delay up a little for a bit more stadium-rock ambience, first lead-playing is at 27:30, first solo at 28:20.