New multi contact output jack socket from Puretone

What's Hot
anyone seen the news on these?

https://puretonetechnologies.com/product/pure-tone-mono-14-jack/

Not big news but it intrigued me. TFB experts, interested in your take on their claims of it being better for signal, before I buy. I get that it'll feel like a more secure connection, that makes sense, but sceptical about sounding better.
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I honestly don't know, but it's nice to see it isn't $150 or anything. I'd give it a go

• Gibbsy (a verified customer) reckons "Amazing. Huge difference in the lows and air/transients. I just ordered another 8 for my main pedals I use in recording."
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    edited November 2016
    Cool - look forward to your report

Edit: Sorry misread - I look forward to Gibbsy's report :D

• They aren't much more expensive than normal good quality jacks, they can't do any harm so it's worth a try. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    It's a good idea, although the overall quality doesn't look as good as a Switchcraft, it's basically the same as the current Chinese jacks.

The claim for improved tone is bullshit though - it's a shame they have to descend to that when simply stating that it improves reliability and reduces crackle is true and is a good enough reason to use it.

You can always do part of the same thing anyway, if you use a TRS (stereo) jack and connect the ring contact to ground.

I'll have to try them though - I'd definitely use them in preference to the standard Chinese jacks, but I'm still not sure I'd choose one over a Switchcraft, and I never normally buy anything else because the price difference isn't huge.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Looks like a good idea, with good physics behind it - doubling the amount of contacts will halve the contact resistance as well introducing some redundancy. I doubt you'd notice a tone difference but they're surely more reliable.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28096
    Even if the reduction in resistance was significant, the idea that it'd improve treble is nonsense. Treble isn't limited by series resistance in these applications, and the resistance of a standard jack is neglibly small.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Coming from an electronics background, I've often wondered about how contact resistance in a jack-socket connection affects things. I have no idea what the ballpark figure is, but I imagine it varies a lot due to poor mechanical contact, corrosion, dust/oils/beer on the jack, less than optimal soldering etc. Also, if you have 5 true bypass pedals, that's 10 contact resistances in series.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28096
    Easy to test for yourself - put a pot (wired as a variable resistor) in series with the signal and see how high you have to turn it before you can hear a difference.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    The most important difference is actually the sprung contacts for the ground connection. In a standard jack, the barrel must by definition be larger than the plug or it wouldn't go through, so it is just possible that as the plug moves, it can find itself in a position where it isn't touching the sides at all. Unlikely, but not impossible… unless the inside of the barrel has got a bit corroded, when it becomes quite likely that it wouldn't be touching a clean bit - hence crackling, and/or a loud hum. By adding the two sprung contacts for the ground that should be eliminated completely.

The series resistance isn't even enough to make a difference even in a speaker circuit unless the jack is very corroded. There will be no tone difference, just reliability.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31556
    Surely the sprung contact at the plug tip on a conventional socket also actively presses the plug's sleeve against the socket barrel?

Not knocking the idea, but my experience with non-Switchcraft sockets is that any problems are caused by poor-quality metals losing their spring or even snapping off rather than poor design. This new design idea is great, but is unnecessary IMO if they're just made with decent materials in the first place.

Credit for the price though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    One problem with jack plugs and sockets is that they were designed for telephony and not guitars, FX pedals or amps. Too late to change all that now....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

p90fool said:
    Surely the sprung contact at the plug tip on a conventional socket also actively presses the plug's sleeve against the socket barrel?
    Yes, but it acts as a pivot point and it's (just) possible for the plug to tilt at exactly the right angle for there to be a tiny gap all the way round. It is one of the very slight design flaws of the standard jacks, although you almost never notice it unless the jack is a bit old and dirty.

I agree entirely about Switchcrafts just being better though. You can always do exactly the same thing by using a TRS one and grounding the ring contact.

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6147
    ICBM said:
     You can always do exactly the same thing by using a TRS one and grounding the ring contact.
    Bill Puplett did that to one of mine. Socket has a fierce grip on the plug now, and it takes a bit more of a shove to get it in (oo-er, etc)