Why not dammit!!

What's Hot
cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
Just picked up a Boss Katana from @John_A and I'm gonna be daft and gig it tomorrow night with about half an hours playing around with it under my belt. Sure it'll be fine ;)
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Brave ..very brave! Hope you're taking a backup just in case.   ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    Voxman said:
    Nope, just my ears and the unfaltering belief that everything will be ok.
    cbilly22 said :) :
    Voxman said:
    Nope, just my ears and the unfaltering belief that everything will be ok.
    Hee hee... As Malcolm Reynolds said in an episode of Firefly..'you're my kind of stupid!'.  :)

I'm sure all will be well...Boss stuff is generally built like a tank, although tweaking an unfamiliar amp live can be 'fun' ...might not be a bad idea to take the manual just in case.  Good luck and keep us posted. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Having a mid set break. Very impressed so far. Great sound, plenty of presence in the mix and very loud. Also takes pedals well. Fingers crossed for second set :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    You're on the fretboard mid-gig?
    That takes commitment or else no-one there speaks English.
    Get some drinks down you!
  • cbilly22 said:
    Having a mid set break. Very impressed so far. Great sound, plenty of presence in the mix and very loud. Also takes pedals well. Fingers crossed for second set :)
    @Gassage seems to be having a few issues with some old amp of his - perhaps one of these would be the answer for him?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Voxman said:
    Unlikely that you'll need it… it's a Boss.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Sassafras said:
    You're on the fretboard mid-gig?
    That takes commitment or else no-one there speaks English.
    Get some drinks down you!
    Ha...I had a drink in my hand as I posted. I like 5 minutes on my own between sets to have a breather. On this occasion everyone spoke a kind of English, only a much younger version of the one I use.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Sick Blood !
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Voxman said:
    My thoughts exactly, Boss stuff can't let you down, it's the law! Though to be honest it doesn't feel as robust as my old Cube 40xl, which once fell out the back of a car and had another one clip it into the road without so much as a moved control knob!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    cbilly22 said:
    Having a mid set break. Very impressed so far. Great sound, plenty of presence in the mix and very loud. Also takes pedals well. Fingers crossed for second set
    @Gassage seems to be having a few issues with some old amp of his - perhaps one of these would be the answer for him?
    I'll leave you to suggest that to him old chap. I'm not entirely sure it will be the answer he is looking for regarding his possessed Deluxe.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Righto, better do a proper field report.
    In a nutshell, pretty bloody good! We do uptempo Dr Feelgood, 9 Below Zero R'n'B with a bit of classic rock and rock'n'roll thrown in so not the most challenging gig sound wise for an amp. As long as the basic sound is there I'll be ok and that's the thing, the basic sound was very good. I used the lead model with the gain set around 4, backed off the guitar to clean up and had my Blackstart LT Boost in the loop for a volume hike and a bit of fat during the solos. A smidge of reverb on the amp and I used delay from the amp for a couple of songs and my Ibanez mini delay in the loop for a couple more. 
    The sound was big and really cut through the mix when needed, I actually had the master on about 3 1/2 and it was plenty. In a bigger room on Saturday so might use the 50 watt setting and push the master up a bit more safe in the knowledge I can always flick to full power if needed.
    Does it (yawn) sound like a valve amp? Nope, probably not, but very nearly and much closer in feel than any modeller I've used outside of high end tackle (Kemper). Can you dial in a really good, perfectly usable tone in no time at all..Yup, you certainly can.
    Seems to take pedals really well and it's nice and light. I think that with the all singing, all dancing footswitch I could probably dispense with my pedal board. 
    I really like it and so did the band so all good :)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

Excellent!  Almost wish I'd kept it !  Think I've just been spoilt with my Helix and in a way I'm pleased its not as good as that :)

The Katanas are certainly great value, loud and sound good, and the 12" speakers make them a great budget gigging option, I like the look of them too

ICBM said:
    Voxman said:
    cbilly22 said:
    ICBM said:
    Voxman said:
    My thoughts exactly, Boss stuff can't let you down, it's the law! Though to be honest it doesn't feel as robust as my old Cube 40xl, which once fell out the back of a car and had another one clip it into the road without so much as a moved control knob!

Guys, my ref to back up was aimed at familiarity & tone - not reliability.  I did say:
    I'm sure all will be well...Boss stuff is generally built like a tank, although tweaking an unfamiliar amp live can be 'fun' ...might not be a bad idea to take the manual just in case.  Good luck and keep us posted.  

edited November 2016
    cbilly22 said:

In a nutshell, pretty bloody good! 
    I really like it and so did the band so all good
    Really glad the gig & the new amp went down well! Been looking at the Katana details on line.  Looks quite impressive and very competitively priced at only £165 for the 50w. ;)
    But £79 for the footswitch sounds a bit high and disproportionate - that's virtually 50% of the amps price! 
    Voxman said:
    cbilly22 said:

In a nutshell, pretty bloody good! 
    I really like it and so did the band so all good
    Really glad the gig & the new amp went down well! Been looking at the Katana details on line.  Looks quite impressive and very competitively priced at only £165 for the 50w. ;)
    But £79 for the footswitch sounds a bit high and disproportionate - that's virtually 50% of the amps price! 
    Agree with that, the footswitch is a little steep but you'd easily spend that on a delay, chorus etc so it doesn't bother me too much to be honest.
    Having gigged unmiked last night I'd have to say the 50 would have been more than adequate, which makes that particular models price mindblowingly good.
    Do you know you can use any old footswitch just to set it up as a 2 channel amp
    Yeah saw that in the instructions, that would get you through many a gig.
    On a side note, do any of the amps previous owners remember seeing the sticker to overlay on the GC-FA footswitch to make it Katana friendly. Probably would have been with the manual.

It wasn't there when I got it, it's not inside the manual is it?  I'm sure if you dropped an email to Roland UK they would sort you out
    John_A said:
    It wasn't there when I got it, it's not inside the manual is it?  I'm sure if you dropped an email to Roland UK they would sort you out
    No, couldn't find it anywhere. Not to worry, it's done a fair few miles bless it. 
    This will give you a little laugh though. I called Roland UK and the poor chap I spoke to didn't know what amp I was talking about. I had to spell Katana and he then asked me if it was a Cube. I should point out he was very helpful and nice but I was clearly the first call he'd had regarding the Katana range. Just goes to show we live in a very small corner of a much larger market for many big companies. We got there in the end but they don't have any in stock so hopefully he's sourcing one from Japan for me.