Why won't my solder stick?!!

What's Hot
bought a nice new wiring loom for my tokai love rock, can I get the bastard soldered together....can I f*#k!!

anything that needs to be soldered to the back of any pot just won't stay put.

soldering to the tabs is fine.

is it the iron, the solder or the pots?

ive even used some sandpaper to rough up the back of the pot to try to help it stick but to no avail.

any help would be much appreciated before the lot goes in the dustbin!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    How hot is your iron?
  • I've just put it on my tongue and it hurt....pretty hot?

*jokes*

its a 15w draper soldering iron....is it too low wattage? 

If so, what would you recommend I get instead?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited November 2016
    You need way more heat, on a budget you can get a plumbers iron and use it for pots only. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    edited November 2016
    Yes, that is too low, imho.
    You end up having to leave the iron on the pot too long with such a low wattage iron.

I use a Maplins 48w solder station.
  • Pukka, cheers chaps.

i shall calmly pack it all away for another day....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    30W minimum. Maplin do a reasonably good one, it's actually cheaper than the lower-powered ones.

Also, only get the added-silver lead-free solder, if you can't get leaded. It's much more expensive than the plain lead-free, but it's worth every penny of the extra - it flows and wets the surfaces much better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6123
    tFB Trader
    Also worth noting that the backs of pots seem to have a coating on them that isn't that attractive to solder. I clean any guitar pot I buy with alcohol, then I lightly scratch the area I want to solder onto with a sharp edge. This gives me a surface that is better able to accept the solder. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    As a quick follow up question (im having a go at some homebuilt pedals - a Lovepedal Woodrow and a Red Llama so far, all thanks to tagboardeffects forum), i have the variable temp Maplin 48w solder station - what temperature should i set it at?

Cheers,
    Adam
  • 60/40 Tin/Lead; 375 deg.C.
     Lead-Free: try 425 deg. C.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I think 15W will be too low power for the back of pots. In the past, I've managed to solder to the back of pots quite successfully using a cheapo Maplins 30W iron:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-30w-mains-soldering-iron-n38ac

...although I used a broad "chisel" tip which I don't think comes with the iron as standard (they sell them separately). Procedure would be to scratch (or sand) the back of the pots and apply a bit of solder directly on there. Then make sure the wire you're attaching to the pot is pre-tinned, hold that against the pot with the iron tip and feed in a bit more solder. It always has worked fine anyhow, and I never managed to damage a pot doing the job this way. I usually used Maplins lead-free silver solder.

• Cheers all, much appreciated :)
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Ditto above. Cheers,
    Adam
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    edited November 2016
    Are you tinning the wires first? Also tin the tip of your soldering iron if it isn't shiny.
    Basically use sand paper to clean the tip of your iron, wrap solder around the tip, switch the iron on until the solder melts, wipe off the excess with a damp sponge and your tip should be ready to use. It should be nice and shiny, try not to use too much flux.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28033
    Sand paper and sponges are a bit four-decades-ago. Modern soldering iron tips have coatings that shouldn't be removed, and brass shavings pads clean better without cooling or corroding the tip.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    That makes sense , I'm at least four decades ago on the best of days.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Higher wattage soldering iron purchased and everything is sorted

thanks all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Excellent!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll