Suggest monitors for DJing at home

What's Hot
goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6144
Being the only gear-obsessed person in the family I get asked these things: nephew is 16 and his mum is buying him Numark NV Serato DJ kit. For now he needs some speakers for home practice. The PA type seems super spendy and far more powerful than anything he needs until he's ready to perform.

But what sort of powered monitors would suit a DJ? Plenty of studio monitors to choose from, and lots of useful threads here, but for DJing, it's more about bass/wow-factor than accuracy, I presume?

Please help,  I need to appear to be the clever uncle. :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3116
    edited November 2016
    Forget accuracy just go for loads of bass and treble and budget for new tweeters every month! It isn't worth spending a fortune on expensive monitor speakers I would plump for a cheap Alto 12" active PA speaker, its unlikely that he's going to be bothered about stereo image so one will do. On further thought a decent pair of studio quality cans would be a better bet than loud speakers
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I really liked the Presonus Eris E5 when I had them, found them alot nicer than the offerings from Alesis and Rokit in the budget kind of price range.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6144
    Thanks chaps. Mono? I suspect you're right but isn't he likely to think I'm the dorkiest uncle going? Will look up those Eris monitors.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Most Dj's seem to be more bothered by beat matching than stereo image, I suggested the Alto because its more likely to take the abuse a DJ who is learning is going to chuck at it than the studio monitors and for wallet friendly sake one is cheaper than two! But I suppose if your a good nice uncle two would be better, also means he has a gig rig straight away as I would guess the cost of monitors and the cost of cheap active PA speakers isn't going to be that far adrift
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk