Gibson Sparrow?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
edited November 2016 in Acoustics
Bit in love with the look of this. Has anyone played one? Adirondack top and rosewood back & sides so I assume it's a big more Martin-flavoured, sound wise, compared with the other Gibson dreads?

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Are they doing a parlour called the 'Robin' now?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That pickguard looks like a GCSE art project.

Srsly, it would be a classy looking instrument with a tortie teardrop guard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I hate the pickguard. Gibson really do make some flouncy acoustics.

The bird looks like a cross between a blackbird and a housemartin and it's flying almost upside down when you play the guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    I'm not keen on that either - the Dove I have is the same, it's meant to be looked at on a stand or a hanger rather than when being played.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't mind the pickguard at all, but, as much as I really like the idea of it, I can't help feeling I'd rather have a D28 for a bit less money.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    edited November 2016
    I don't mind the pickguard at all, but, as much as I really like the idea of it, I can't help feeling I'd rather have a D28 for a bit less money.
    It depends what kind of bracing the Sparrow has.  If it has rear/forward shifted/scalloped etc bracing it will be a different sounding instrument to a D-28. 

It also has a Red Spruce soundboard, whilst the D-28 has a Sitka soundboard.  The Martin Marquis D-28 has a Red Spruce soundboard and it's USA street price I can find is $4,500. 
  • Is there any truth that the J200 is to be renamed the 'Turkey'?

Presumably the Mark Series is now the 'Dodo Series'....
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I like sparrows as birds, but that guitar doesn't have the look of a sparrow about it. Blackbird would be more appropriate. 

To me a sparrow brings to mind something smaller, tough and woody like a Guild M20. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Skarloey said:
    I like sparrows as birds, but that guitar doesn't have the look of a sparrow about it. Blackbird would be more appropriate. 

To me a sparrow brings to mind something smaller, tough and woody like a Guild M20. 
    They could do a baritone with an extra-long neck, called the Swan....
    Or an acoustic with a but in drum machine called the Woodpecker. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited November 2016
    Skarloey said:
    Or an acoustic with a but in drum machine called the Woodpecker. 
    Or one that allows the player to accurately mimic a very limited range of players and their guitar work - called the Parrot...
    What about the Vulture? A one string resonator that's been specially aged and reliced by being left in the Mojave dsesert for five years.

The Seagull? An ungainly thing with a white finish that is so hard to play things end up in a terrible mess.
  • You guys are all crazy, next you're going to suggest someone makes a white and gold Archtop called the Falcon. 
    You guys are all crazy, next you're going to suggest someone makes a white and gold Archtop called the Falcon. 
    Pah. It'll never fly. 
  • Skarloey said:
    You guys are all crazy, next you're going to suggest someone makes a white and gold Archtop called the Falcon. 
    Pah. It'll never fly. 
    Why limit ourselves to birds? What about inlaying a highly ornate dragon into the body and fingerboard, calling it 'The Dragon' and charging more than the price of a semi-detached house in Newcastle for it?