Another 'What PA system' thread.

So, what PA system do I want to buy? Basically want some nice sounding active tops for pub gigs that I can add a sub sub to for doing wedding stuff (offering the whole mp3 dj through our PA system too)

Singer owns one of those HK Lucas nano things that we use for our acoustic duo/trio gigs. Sounds great and is a doddle to setup. Loved the sound of pretty much every HK system that I've ever used.

Seen the HK premium pro stuff. Do you guys think that 2 of the 10" tops with the 210 sub would be sufficient? The main wedding venue that we'll be playing is pretty small tbh....think that it's 120/130 max capacity......we play there most Thursday's as back ground restaurant music using the HK nano thing and it's fine at about 1/4 volume!

Also seen qsc k10's but adding a sub would probably stretch the budget too far.

Thought's? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Have a look at the Yamaha stuff. We have a pair of DBR10's for smaller venues, a pair of DXR12's for when we need a bit more and a DXS12 sub to add in when appropriate. IMO it blows the Mackie stuff out of the water and is preferable to the offerings from EV and JBL.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Both the Yamaha DXR's and RCF 7 series are great  I'd go for a single 15" sub over a pair of 10's or 12's
  • What is the style of your band? How many instruments/channels do you plan to run through the PA? 
    Two 10" tops and a 2x10" sub isn't much.
  • Main band is 4/5piece Blues/Funk. Through the PA is usually just the singer and my guitar as i mic up my amp. For bigger stuff we'd want to put bass through there to....probably 4/5 mics on the kit, and a sax too.

Really like the look of those yamaha dxr10's. Never used a Yamaha PA before.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

With PA gear you certainly get what you pay for, I've had stuff like Alto and it really isn't a patch on RCF or high-end Yamaha.  I would go for 2 10" or 12" tops and 2 15" subs.  Our band (4 piece rock) uses 2 RCF 710;s over 2 DB Sub-15D's and it sounds great for small - medium venues

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited November 2016
    I'm a fan of the Yam series.  Some of the best value for money out there (and 7 year warraty!).

Another one to consider is the RCF ART745-A.  This isn't your normal active plastic box and has one of the best high frequency horn driver in that price class IMO. http://www.rcf.it/products/pro-speaker-systems/art-7-series/art-745-a

A pair of those over an ART 905 sub is very potent and portable.  Price is creeping upwards up though... but you never know maybe second hand?

(I've got the RCF TT25A ii tops and they use the same horn as the ART 745-A and cost over twice as much)
    edited November 2016
    The DB Sub-15D mentioned above are a great sub option IMO.

With the sub, just get one good 15" for starters and really experiment with positioning in the room.  It doesn't have to be directly beneath the top(s).  Getting it up against a wall stage left or right can really increase output..
  • andyoz said:
      Getting it up against a wall stage left or right can really increase output..
    Fnarr (etc)
    edited November 2016
    Fnarrrr...dirty mind!
  • Cheers guys, some good info here.....1 sub will definitely be the way that we go to start with. Here's hoping somewhere has a 20% Black Friday discount tomorrow!