School me on strat pickups

What's Hot
Apologies if this is old news . but have just picked up a nice partscaster  and would like to upgrade pickups and wiring  (on a budget )
If possible .  wanting all covers and knobs in black and a black/white/black  scratchplate.  would prefer  slightly hotter than vintage . and not interested in  blade/dual coil /ceramic. would the iron gear brand  be the best on a budget ?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Mark.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited November 2016
    I have compared Iron Gear pickup with Bare Knuckle on my Strats recorded them both and played them to two different people, both thought the Iron Gears sounded as if they were the more expensive pickups.....
    They were Bare Knuckle Mothers milks and Iron Gear Pig Irons, my only issue is that they were a bit polite, a view echoed by others....however Iron Gear Overwound Pig Irons are reputedly more agressive, I've got a couple but not yet tried them......
    Iron Gear have a good rep on here, not just because they are cheap.....
    Have a read here.....

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/87413/iron-gear-pig-iron-strat-pickups-bloody-hell-im-impressed#latest

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks  for that Paul  I will have a read . .
  • I'd give Wilde pickups a look. Dirt cheap as handwound pickups go, and very well regarded by those who know about them. I have a set of their Keystone pickups in my Telecaster, but I have no doubt that the Keystone Strat sets are every bit as good. 

EDIT: huh. Looks like they don't do Keystone Strat pickups any more. They do have the various other pickups for Strats though...

http://wildepickups.com/

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I've bought a few sets of pickups (humbuckers and single coils) in the past from this seller on the bay, and found them to be good. The first strat set I got I had made to (as best as I could find out) similar specs to those on the Eric Johnson model strats (alnico 3 magnets) - they were nice-sounding, but maybe not ideal spec for me. Later I got a flat pole profile alnico 2 set made for another strat, which are tapped to give switchable hot and vintage outputs, and I really love those. There is generally about a 2 week wait to get them made and shipped from the states, but I've found the maker to be a nice and trustworthy chap, willing to spend time chatting and helping discuss specs/sounds via email.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Strat-replacement-pickups-HANDWOUND-Alnico2-YOUR-specs-right-or-left-/291931248765?hash=item43f875587d:m:mQhVXxUqe1JdFduYrZwSPcg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57 said:
    I have compared Iron Gear pickup with Bare Knuckle on my Strats recorded them both and played them to two different people, both thought the Iron Gears sounded as if they were the more expensive pickups.....
    I also have Pig Iron overwound in a Honher strat I restored, and Vintage 6TS in a home build. Both are great pickups. I'm also a big fan of Bare Knuckle Irish Tours, which I have a Gilmour inspired strat build - but I guess that's beyond your budget for this project.

Going back to your original question - I can't say if Iron Gear is the best brand (as I haven't tried them all ... yet), but in my experience Iron Gear make great pickups at very reasonable prices. And just to put my money where my mouth is - I ordered a combination of Pig Iron (not overwound) and Blues Engine HB earlier today for my next project.
  • That's great advice John.thank you . I was looking at the pig iron overwound  myself . are they good in all positions . clean and with overdrive?
    Funny thing is, the strat pickups that are in my partscaster  (from this very  Parish) are actually not that  bad at all ..  !
    So till I save up my gas funds. I can live with them ,for now..  .......