12 string Euro style JM build

What's Hot

Comments

• WezV said:
    Following this one.

How about a trem? Indeed how about a trem for the six higher strings only. Always fancied trying that.
    That sounds ridiculous.

I like it :)
     =) 

My thoughts were when playing a chord and using the trem, it would give a more subtle shimmer, as half the strings would be unaffected.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    so i got a plate made, and a faux tailpiece cut out of aluminium sheet with a string anchor block i am modding for 12 string

the plate is  a left over bit of old pearloid, but i made a template so may re-do it in another material later.  quite happy with the shape
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28151

My thoughts were when playing a chord and using the trem, it would give a more subtle shimmer, as half the strings would be unaffected.
    That's an ace idea. Or just the lower course, maybe. Hmm. You could probably do it with a Jag style trem and ferrules for the other six strings.

Does anyone make a 12-string roller bridge?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:

That's an ace idea. Or just the lower course, maybe. Hmm. You could probably do it with a Jag style trem and ferrules for the other six strings.

That's what I was thinking.  Either 6 of them through the body or another plate between bridge and trem with some string slots in it.

the hook tailpiece I am using here could also be used with a trem behind... as long as the spacing was bang on 
  • Awesome. If you do this, then decide to sell it, please can I call dibs? 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Trem idea sound cool, hurry up, I need to see it!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

I am still undecided on the trem idea.  I  thought I had an old teisco trem tailpiece  which I could mod and improve... can't find it though.   Might scour eBay for something interesting
    I have just got a bit of 3mm blue sparkle perspex for the top.

its not quite right, a bit on the dark side with small particles.  I am going to cut out a jazzmaster sized piece and see what i think
  • Just spotted this on reverb -https://reverb.com/item/3518288-eko-520-2v-1964-rare-vintage-solid-wood

Your one could look pretty good in wood, if the perspex doesn't work out.
    well i have not managed to do any guitar stuff over the last two weeks, but i did finally get chance to glue some perspex to the top of  this.   i really should have left the plastic on until its done, but i couldn't resist a quick mock up.. it will get re-protected with masking tape in a mo

i was not totally sure about the perspex, its a bit more subtle than originally intended and I immediately found a supply of spanglier stuff after it arrived.  but i went with it and think it works quite nicely - bluer than it looks in the pics

a close up

The trem is an old satellite one - and i have just found a supplier of the arms and springs to go with it
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    Sporky said:

Does anyone make a 12-string roller bridge?
    Yes ABM.

Edit. I'll take that back, they don't seem to list it anymore.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    Looking forward to seeing this wez

I've been listening to alot of 12 strings lately, Bernie Marsden was showing his one off and it sounded fantastic
    Could be his playing though
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    here is the last 12 string i finished... a SG shaped version of the Vox mando-guitar

and this one which has  been nearly finished for far too long

I honestly don't know how i have got to this point without making a normal 12-string, I have always wanted one :)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I was looking at a gibson twin neck that I'd never seen before
    It was a spruce topped chambered one
    Before the sg model, it was bass and 6 string though
    Cme on you tube was doing a demo

Your one looks bloody good but is it a right handful
    Like the sg shape one though

It's definitely on the to do list, can you use it like a normal 6 string if you want
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    Oh, it's not practical.... I managed to get the body and necks to a fairly reasonable weight but the sheer amount of hardware adds a lot too.    

tFB Trader
    Thought so

I've thought of doing something you could split the 2 halves and use individually or as a twin neck

If I do a twin neck I do fancy a jazzmaster shape
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    Like this

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    although mine is the obviously the opposite layout more often see on the rick 4080/12

neither of those will be lighter or more practical than mine, i doubt you would see anyone use them for more than 1 or 2 songs in a gig

I had to google the weight of the 4080/12's.  They listed them at 21lbs.  Last time I weighed mine it was about 15.
    WezV said:
    Like this

like the idea of that

Weather it's worth doing or not is anyone's guess
    I'd do just 12 and 6 string though
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)