Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The New Breed of Guitar Dealers - Do They Really Think Guitar Buyers Are That Stupid?

What's Hot

Comments

• The forum is drying up a bit @JookyChap ;;
    Conversation has slowed, the friendliness isnt what it was and the handbags come out a lot quicker now. It's like the UK's answer to tgp. 

On the other hand there is a new face in the classifieds daily and some of the pricing is dubious.
    It feels like the classifieds is becoming the biggest driver for the forum, with that it seems to be bringing quite a lot of the clowns from eBay and Gumtree. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    The forum is drying up a bit @JookyChap ;;
    Conversation has slowed, the friendliness isnt what it was and the handbags come out a lot quicker now. 
    What the fuck are you talking about?
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • miserneil said:
    Neil, you little teaser!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    The forum is drying up a bit @JookyChap ;;
    Conversation has slowed, the friendliness isnt what it was and the handbags come out a lot quicker now. It's like the UK's answer to tgp. 

On the other hand there is a new face in the classifieds daily and some of the pricing is dubious.
    It feels like the classifieds is becoming the biggest driver for the forum, with that it seems to be bringing quite a lot of the clowns from eBay and Gumtree. 

I only joined this year and I would say this forum is one of the most civilised, useful and friendly I've used..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Several watch forums wont let members sell or buy until they reach a certain number of 'frets'?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I must be hard hearted...if someone asks me to drop the price because they're having a hard time / dont have enough money / wife left them the answer would still be no. If times are tough why are you buying a guitar? 

As to the forum drying up, I think the classifieds have slowed a bit but we've got Christmas coming and Black Friday coming too. Not unusual for the time of year. The rest of the forum seems much the same as usual, maybe with a little less drama than usual. Waning moon so again not unusual :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    Neil, you little teaser!
    Ha! I initially thought I was being funny then on reflection thought it looked a bit like trolling so I hastily deleted. Don't want it to become that sort of place...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    I've a feeling I know the people you're on about... I get huge amounts of satisfaction seeing a couple of my old guitars clogging up his cashflow. To be fair I was offered a fair price, they're just greedy - if you keep an eye on their site you'll see guitars disappear only to reappear a few months later...

Picking up on a couple of other points people have made - if I'm buying its either from a bricks and mortar place like Coda etc or off here where I'd like to think I'm dealing with fellow enthusiasts!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I must be hard hearted...if someone asks me to drop the price because they're having a hard time / dont have enough money / wife left them the answer would still be no. If times are tough why are you buying a guitar? 

So that I can sell it at a huge immoral profit, of course.
    Times are hard, I have to put food on the table. ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27446
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Whitecat said:
    I would urge care here, do you know for a fact that he is an unregistered trader?

Telling porkies about your status to eBay and failing to register a business to HMRC are not the same thing!
    Strat54 said:
    I didn't say he was an unregistered trader. I merely stated he's violating ebays policy by using his personal account to trade. I would like to think he is registered...somewhere.

He's certainly registered here.

You'll find him under "banned".
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27446

Indeed.

The Classifieds is - always has been - a very busy part of the community.  As you'd expect given how much buying & selling & lusting we all do.

But I've noticed more and more people who join and head straight for the Classifieds and only ever post in the Classifieds.  They don't join in the rest of the discussions, and don't bring anything to add to the community.  

In which case the Classifieds is no longer something to support the community, it's become a separated part of the forum that is actually taking value from the community because the new joiners don't understand the "pay it forward" ethos that exists/existed.

When someone spots and flags one of the bedroom dealers, they usually get de-membered.  Not because I begrudge someone earning an honest (if slightly underhand) bit of profit, but because they're undermining the original nature of the community and using it purely for their own financial gain.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited November 2016
    Its nothing new, its the invention if the internet and social media that makes it all the more obvious and leaves 'traces' of whats gone on if you look hard enough. Same with the Vintage dealers and shops trawling the internet for something to flip instead of trawling Exchange and Mart or Loot once a week. Phil Harris had no doubt built his hire/sales business off it 30 years ago and the well known Vintage dealers source guitars and sell them on at a profit. Its nothing new.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    TTony said:

When someone spots and flags one of the bedroom dealers, they usually get de-membered. 
    That's a bit tough. Can't you just ban them?
    32reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2369
    Its nothing new, its the invention if the internet and social media that makes it all the more obvious and leaves 'traces' of whats gone on if you look hard enough. Same with the Vintage dealers and shops trawling the internet for something to flip instead of trawling Exchange and Mart or Loot once a week. Phil Harris had no doubt built his hire/sales business off it 30 years ago and the well known Vintage dealers source guitars and sell them on at a profit. Its nothing new.
    Its not the profit I/We dislike, it the ways that some of these guys go about purchasing from private sellers, the illusion that they are real 'stores' and the way they attempt to hike up the market with unrealistic prices doing nobody here any favours.
    Profit is good, profit is why I have retired the right side of 50! I owned a non music related high street business for 30 years, but this I conducted in the correct manner much like Mark @guitars4you  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChap said:
    I must admit I'm with impmann on this - on here (and MR before) there used to almost be a pride in keeping good deals within the forum and I can think of plenty of people who have bought and sold things well below market rate (@impmann @meltedbuzzbox @blueskunk @DrBob @Iamnobody @stickyfiddle @guitargeek62 ;@johnnyburgo @AlexHunter @BowynMadley ;) and they are off the top of my head that I've been involved with, just because it was the right thing to do. 
    It still happens - look at the 2015 Gibsons that went back up at Black Friday Amazon prices - but not so much now, and I think it is a real shame, we lost something there chaps.
    @JookyChap ;Good point well made. I recall selling a guitar to you, you didn't gel with it sold it on eBay, made a small profit and then sent me half. That's the way it used to operate.

Another forumite once bought a rather lovely Tom Anderson Drop Top from me, forgot he had to pay the toll to get into Wales so was £5 short on cash. 2 days later I received £5 in the post.

Behaviour like that encourages you to reciprocate as you're operating on principles rather £ signs. 

However, that being said there have been some sausage jockeys that just make lowball offers or generally act like the all-knowing font of f*ckwittery so I have been less inclined to offer them a good deal. Instead I usually add a risk premia for fear of them actually wanting said guitar/amp/pedal and me having to deal with them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 363
    edited November 2016
    A Tom Anderson Strat was bought from this forum for £1200. It was rephotographed and listed on EBay for £1690 - it's still there months later.....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's ain't all bad on here just have a look over on the classifieds this evening, free guitars and free pedals being handed out. If I sell something on here and someone wants to flip it then so be it,but I think the majority of folk on here, and certainly the folk I have met and dealt with, have all been spot on. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2369
    Yep another one, fifteen guitars for sale and still selling as a private. His prices are a joke.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    @JookyChap had shown more kindness than anyone in my life that iv not actually met in person :)

Seriously can't count the times he has been so very cool to me hooking me up with guitars and guitar related deals. 

Iv been lucky to meet and deal with quite a few top guys here and from the old place. I can usually tell the folks to steer clear from , most of the time. 

The advice and guidance on guitars is just brilliant and on tap. I have learnt loads and people are very helpful. 

@SteveRobinson recently wired a telecaster together that I couldn't do. It had an extra wire and that totally fucked me up.

This guy just said come over and he fixed without asking for anything - what a lovely man and that is the sort of goodness that goes on if you play fairly and treat people how you would like to be treated. :) Next time my strat or Jag needs a proper set up , I will be ringing Steve to put business his way.  

If if you want to mug folk off, well you can jog on and leave this cool place. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited November 2016
    Haven't read past page 1 but I see this happening all the time with amps on eBay (I don't search for guitars). Lots of semi-obscure brands value have shot up as a result - whether they actually sell or not is another thing though.