Replacing g force system

What's Hot
Hi all, I have a Les Paul Special Double Cut arriving today (Black Friday Amazon special!) and I already know I want to replace the g force thing. 

Grover kidney beans will most likely go on but is any modification required to the headstock aside from screw holes? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Mate, try the G Force for a while... it is very good actually
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Second the above - can be really convenient. Make sure it is charged before you first use it. Also check your nut when it arrives - if it has little indentations caused by the strings you can get Gibson to send a new titanium one free of charge.

if you do want to replace it no mods are required other than drilling some screw holes for the new tuners. New ones will drop right in as long as you get the correct size bushings. (Google will confirm what the correct size is.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    I'd echo the above as well. I have GForce on my Les Paul and once you get used to it it really is great.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    rico said:

Grover kidney beans will most likely go on but is any modification required to the headstock aside from screw holes? 
    No, they drop straight in. Any of the modern 10mm-bushing heads do, including the Gibson/Schaller/Grover Kluson-style tulip-key ones with the front nut - but not the exact Kluson copies with the small collars.

You may call me a luddite if you like, but I'd do the same as rico. Then you can sell the G-Force as "unused" and maybe get a bit more for it. I can't be bothered with something that needs charging, can fail (I've seen a couple, and it would be a right pain at a gig), feels so awful to use manually and adds unnecessary weight to the headstock.

If you like them I'd be inclined to make rico an offer so you at least have a spare. (Seriously.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 100% with @ICBM on this one.  If the charge goes mid-gig and you have to do it manually, it's a nightmare.  Also, if you want to tune only ONE specific string, it doesn't do it on the fly like that.  

I did, however, find it a godsend in the studio.  It's gone though.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • eSully said:
    I'd echo the above as well. I have GForce on my Les Paul and once you get used to it it really is great.
    I've often wondered, though, what the g force system does when you bend...?
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    100% with @ICBM on this one.  If the charge goes mid-gig and you have to do it manually, it's a nightmare.  Also, if you want to tune only ONE specific string, it doesn't do it on the fly like that.  
    The tuners can be turned manually and used as standard tuners as long as it's not switched on.

MTurner said:
    eSully said:
    Not sure what you mean. The GForce just gets the strings in tune and then switchs itself off. Its not always on, only on while the strings are being tuned.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Thanks for the advice guys. Anyone replaced the brass but with a standard one?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    rico said:
    Thanks for the advice guys. Anyone replaced the brass but with a standard one?
    Not me personally, but at least one of the ones that's been through the shop was done. No different to replacing any other nut really, although you'll need to make it from scratch since with the wider neck it's unlikely you'll find a pre-cut one to fit.

You can then also choose whether to keep the Gibson string spacing or to make it slightly wider to better fit the neck width.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    After the rehearsal today I will definitely be changing the G Force system - it was awful. It managed to tune the high E to an octave lower than usual and took ages to tune the other strings. Trying to make manual adjustments felt terrible and it's in reverse.

Will have to think on the nut replacement but i'm swinging towards a traditional nut. 
  • eSully said:
    100% with @ICBM on this one.  If the charge goes mid-gig and you have to do it manually, it's a nightmare.  Also, if you want to tune only ONE specific string, it doesn't do it on the fly like that.  
    The tuners can be turned manually and used as standard tuners as long as it's not switched on.

MTurner said:
    eSully said:
    Not sure what you mean. The GForce just gets the strings in tune and then switchs itself off. Its not always on, only on while the strings are being tuned.
    I wondered if it attempted to "tune" a string that is being bent. I guess not.

But that raises another question: does it turn itself on when a string is out of tune, or is it manually tuned on and off by the player?
  • eSully said:

MTurner said:
    eSully said:
    I was curious about whether or not it tries to "tune" a string while it is being bent. I guess not.

But that raises another questioin: is the system manually turned on and off by the player?
  • eSully said:

MTurner said:
    eSully said:
    I wondered if it attempted to "tune" a string that is being bent. I guess not.

But that raises another question: does it turn itself on when a string is out of tune, or is it manually tuned on and off by the player?
  • eSully said:

MTurner said:
    eSully said:
    I was curious about whether or not it tries to "tune" a string while it is being bent. I guess not.

But that raises another questioin: is the system manually turned on and off by the player?