'Scuse me, while I kiss the slide......

paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
edited November 2016 in Making & Modding
Ive been at it again.......Partscasters, sooo addictive, anyroadup I completely cocked up the paint on the correct right handed body for this inspired by Coodercaster, so modded a spare scratchplate and bolted all the parts onto this joker of a body that Grahame at @GSPBASSES produced for me ages ago......intended body needs major sanding and another refinish, so this will do for now.....still need knobs, strap buttons, switch tip........madness!

GSPBASSES body, finished in Halfords Satin Black
Mojo Lap Steel pickup, with Strat backplate to fit round the Trem
Iron Gear overwound Middle and Neck
Allparts Vee neck finished in Wudtone Amber
Axetec Locking tuners
CTS pots
Tele switch wired to give neck, neck and middle, bridge.
Modded scratchplate

Brace yourselves!......

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/paulnb57/image_zps81iom5mt.jpeg

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Pretty cool...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    That's wicked. I've really got to try one of those lap steel pickups, Marc spent years sorting them out so they were perfect.

When you've got some string, let us know how do you like it?

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited November 2016
    @JookyChap ;;

Inital thoughts are...it's epic! Setting the thing up is a bit of a drama as you cannot adjust the height of the pickup on springs or silicon tubes, the only adjustment are the polepieces, or raising the bridge/saddles, which in turn could mean shimming the neck......but it sounds really good, I can still damp the strings behind the pickup at the bridge and pock the strings in front of the pickup, its almost a handrest....Still trial and error, tomorrow I need  to buy a decemt flat blade screwdriver to fit the pole pieces...it's amazing how just a turn of a polepiece seem to make a difference...
    Initially the Lap pickup volume completely overpowered the neck and middle, however raing the single coils and lowering the polepieces has evened things out....
    I think it is difficult to wire the Lap pup in combination with another pickup, so the Lap pickup is switched completely separate to the rest and uses the tone control. Neck and Middle work a la Strat, but with no tone pot ( which I never use anyway.....)
    It's  interesting that a 250k audio pot with an 047 cap is usable right throuh it's ramge without becoming muddy, never known that before.....
    Build quality of the Lap pickup is really very good indeed, cutting a Scratchplate to shape took patience.....my 6th attempt used here was the best! Luckily I had a few lying around from past projects!
    All good fun.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• That looks really good!  I like how the satin black's come out too :)
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Thamks Andy, it's the second time this body has been satin black!

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    That's messing with my head, in a good way... makes me want to have a go!
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    Corvus said:
    That's messing with my head, in a good way... makes me want to have a go!
    Yeah man. Coodrix.