Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Custom shop juniors and PRICES see page 4 :)

What's Hot

Comments

• ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    edited November 2016
    Its all good. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Exorcist said:
    I do understand what your saying, (and I know your not aiming it at me, it also frustrates me when people judge a guitar without playing it - some of my best sounding guitars are 70's handmade B C Rich's - but people see the spikey 80's things and write them off) I guess that with a junior, the more it is polished and pampered, the less of the spirit of a junior is left? Hence my point about it being different rather than better. It was always meant to be an affordable rock machine, plug in and crank it up. 
    I would like to try one though. My old SG custom is one of the nicest guitars I own, the inlays, the three gold humbuckers, the one piece resonant body, I find it beautiful, so I totally get it about C/Shop guitars.

Maybe I should have just stuck to the 'concept' of a CS Jnr being wrong. Still, different folks... :)

Right, well, I totally agree with you on that @Excorcist, especially as the Junior was the 'student' model that Gibson knocked out for $150! The idea of their being a 'Custom Shop' model does seem daft really!

And, to a point, I would agree that the £2.5k (current price??) probably isn't that much (£2k or whatever) better sonically than the £500 standard model. BUT, classic Gibson, it's the only way a buyer will get close to the aesthetic of the original Junior - the classic vintage sunburst, neck shape - without stumping up for a genuine vintage.

They did do a Billy Joe Armstrong single cut Junior for a while - think it had a humbucking P90 though - that was about £800 and was painted in the old style sunburst and looked superb - unsurprisingly they flew out....and then Gibson stopped making them.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    edited November 2016
    And a few limited runs with ebony boards... man i am still keen for one of those but rare as hens teeth!
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    Sorry @miserneil I edited that out as I thought I was ranting too much :) - I totally get it about the aesthetic and historically correct aspect that some people want to pay a premium for. I liked it when Lesley West called them a 'tree with a microphone' - that captures the spirit of them for me. - Also I have to say I think I got lucky with mine, the QC is a bit suspect on production models, and I wouldn't be surprised if a few were dead sounding lumps of wood, which you wouldn't get with CS... at least I hope not!
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Exorcist said:
    Sorry @miserneil I edited that out as I thought I was ranting too much :) 
    Ha! I edited mine too as I thought the same - we're all so polite around here! ;-)

I think you'd surprised with the CS actually, they do still retain all that 'tree with a mic'/basic thing that I also love...they just seem to have smoothed out some of the variables that the originals have...which is either a good or bad thing depending on ones view.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • All I know is, I'd quite readily try a CS Junior, a vintage Junior and a standard run Junior to see what the differences are - I've had a 2015 model but couldn't get on with the G Force...
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5013
    edited November 2016
    miserneil said:
    hootsmon said:

are the CS juniors like the LPs...you know various LP years 57 58 59s

do Gibson have a selection of juniors from different years too?

No, the Custom Shop do a '57 Single Cut or a '59 DC which (i think) is the rarer of the two.
    They do a 60 DC which I have. It has a slim neck not a fatty.   :s

Beautiful guitar though, weighs a smidgin under 7lbs. Yep under 7lbs.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j359/Fretfinder/A0331719-AC82-4D76-9996-105C99BCD54C.jpg

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Awwww.. I do love a happy ending..! 

:) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• miserneil said:
    hootsmon said:

No, the Custom Shop do a '57 Single Cut or a '59 DC which (i think) is the rarer of the two.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j359/Fretfinder/A0331719-AC82-4D76-9996-105C99BCD54C.jpg

usedtobe said:
    Awwww.. I do love a happy ending..! 

:) 
    That photo has certainly got me close to one too!  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • you could make the argument that a Jr is too simple to have great variance in quality for a Tele, or even a strat.
    Just because the design is simple doesn;t mean the quality can't vary wildly.
    Here's a comparison that works better than the car one.

a £10 steak in a cafe is just a piece of beef from a cow cooked in a pan.
    so is a £200 steak in a michelin star restaurant - they are inherently the same, but the quality of the meat, the preparation, the expertise in handling it, seasoning, and cooking make the £200 taste vastly better, and accounts for the price increase.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    SidNewton said:
    I once knew someone who owned a Mk2 Golf GTi. I asked him if he ever fancied getting something quicker to which he replied "I couldn't imagine anything quicker". Er......yeah.

Besides which, we all know the Mk1 Golf GTi is the true GTi................... ;)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • good steak analogy
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • monoamine said:
    good steak analogy
    And older ones tend to be rare....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I still think the steak analogy would be better if its the same steak but one served on an expensive plate with loads of garnish. The meat is the same.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    miserneil said:
    hootsmon said:

They do a 60 DC which I have. It has a slim neck not a fatty.   s

That is gorgeous.

One of my favourite ever guitars.

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    miserneil said:
    hootsmon said:

is that the TV yellow there?  it's nice
    tae be or not tae be
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960

Peeps

what could I expect tae pay for a recent(ish) good shape SC  Custom shopJunior...? with case of course

tae be or not tae be
    Thought I saw one on the bay for about £2K? Dunno if that's overpriced.
  • Exorcist said:
    I still think the steak analogy would be better if its the same steak but one served on an expensive plate with loads of garnish. The meat is the same.
    The meat isn't the same just like the wood the custom shop uses isn't the same.
    They select the best quality, driest, most resonant etc vs the std models that get the bulk wood that is not hand selected for a specific purpose.
    Same with the cows - some are normal cows, some are bred by experts to taste a certain way

Exorcist said:
    The meat isn't the same just like the wood the custom shop uses isn't the same.
    They select the best quality, driest, most resonant etc vs the std models that get the bulk wood that is not hand selected for a specific purpose.
    Same with the cows - some are normal cows, some are bred by experts to taste a certain way
    Yep, I agree that the wood is consistently better. But I don't think a good production model is going to be much different to a CS. The pickup is the same, there is no cap, just a slap of mahogany and that may make a touch of difference if you get a bad production one. I think we will have to agree to disagree - put a CS next to mine, crank up an amp with a touch of overdrive and I don't think people will consistently pick the custom shop. You will feel better playing it though I don't doubt, it will look nicer and be 'historically correct' and you will no doubt get a kick out of knowing its value. Its a stripped down rock machine though, lets not get carried away.