Rickenbacker 620's

dandldandl Frets: 36
I've seen a couple of these pop up local to me and they are seriously peaking my interest. Anybody out there with any experience with these, specifically played through a blaring fuzz :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I think @dogload got one recently...

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    650's are still in the sale for £899 at Coda:

http://www.coda-music.com/rickenbacker-650c-colorado-p-14028.html
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    I used my 360 like that sometimes - it was noisy and fed back like a banshee, but it was great fun. The 620 will have the same noise problem but not the feedback, or at least not as badly.

If the hum is a serious problem you can get Rickenbacker humbucking pickups which are a drop-in replacement for the High-Gains, although they don't sound quite the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited January 2014
    @dandl
    I actually got a 610- which is the discontinued, non-deluxe version (a bit like the 330 is to the 360). If you're looking at a 620 with Hi-Gain pickups, you'll probably find that it handles fuzz 'like a mutha', as the youngsters say.
    I play mine through various fuzztones- Fuzz Face, Tone Bender and Big Muff clones and a Boss FZ2- as well as overdrives and combinations thereof. It can do the rasping, chainsaw style fuzz on the bridge pickup and fruity, flutey tones on the neck, and a variety of others using the middle position and blend control, although to be honest, subtlety isn't an issue at such times!
    It's also remarkably versatile generally, sound-wise and as an all-rounder only falls down on it's lack of trem (erm... vibrato, sorry!) which is where the Jazzmaster comes in. It has a gorgeous clean sound, although overall, the sound is more 'compressed' or focused, than the traditional Rickenbacker 330/ 360. It's sort of comparable to an SG. But don't quote me!
    The neck on the 610 is very slim and fast. The fretboard seems very narrow and at first I was concerned that it was going to be too cramped; this turned out not to be the case (although it does make a Ric 12-string neck feel rather spacious!) and switching between the 610 and Mascis Jazzmaster mid-gig, is surprisingly hassle-free.
    I've read on Rickenbacker forums that people with 620s sometimes prefer the feel of the 610, as it's lack of binding means it has a bit of contouring on the top of the body which means there is less forearm chafing!
    Downside? They are difficult to play when slouched on the settee.
  • dandldandl Frets: 36
    Thanks for the above comments guys. Im currently experiencing some type of emotional turmoil as to whether to purchase one of these or something else I have my eye on. 

@Dogload, thanks for the review Part of me was hoping that people would say "actually their crap for that purpose, buy something else instead", and then my decision would be made for me. Why do they have to be so bloody pretty!!!!!
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148

I bought a 620 this summer unseen on ebay. Like you, I was really taken by the looks and thought it would be perfect for some noisy punk. I have never had such a violent objection to a neck. I found it absolutely unplayable. I can go from a thick 50s style 335, to a lollypop Gibson Marauder, to a 7.25 radius Jag.... no problem. I could barely play the 620. Narrow nut width combined with a *really* deep U shape was a bad combination for me. Luckily the pickup was dead, so I could send it back easily and the seller was great. I've never been so unhappy to get a duff guitar!

I do think they might vary quite a bit, and other people might have got on with it... but I would never buy a Ricky unseen again.

I'm sure it would sound good with blaring fuzz though - what wouldn't? :) I ended up with a 2nd hand Gretsch Setzer Hotrod, and embrace a bit of feedback...