Partsocaster/Relicocaster - yet to decide build thread

What's Hot
New Obeche body and Rosewood/Maple neck from the wonderful GSPBASSES in his Black Friday sell off.

Tonight, I have mostly been painting it with egg white:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    I was going to start a similar thread with mine.

today I routed a large route under the plate to give maximum pickup options, and carved full strat contours.   Still going to relic it though ;)

i was was led by the neck.  22 frets, abalone face and side dots, separate maple fretboard etc.  It a non traditional starting point so I am going with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Looks more like yolk, but hard to tell from this angle. :)

That is really nice looking, how light is it?

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Thanks guys. 

@WezV - the missus has dared me to build it and then relic it - she really wants to help with the relicing, and I'm keen to learn how..

@JookyChap - 3lb 3oz.. Pretty damn light!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Egg white?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    usedtobe said:
    Egg white?
    Before grain filler was invented egg white was the French polishers filler of choice. It dries hard, and when you wet sand it, the white and sand combine to fill all the pores and grain.

Obeche is fine grained, and to be honest I'm using it more as a pore filler. Plus the fact this is the trad way of doing it ;)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Really cracked on with this grain filling nonsense this evening. 

First stage is to liberally splatter on the egg white. I'm using a paint brush and working in a significant glob of the stuff:

Using the sanding block and 320 grit paper, you use the egg white to wet sand in. It's fairly sticky but it works up a good slurry over time. The slurry goes from white to wood colour:

It generates a lot of the stuff and it's like a slightly runny filler:

I then worked it in with my fingers - getting it into all the pores and all the gaps:

After about 15 mins it looks a bit like this:

I'll give it another hour of drying then use 600 grit on the block to knock it back and smooth over. Did the back earlier and first pass filled about 50-60% of the grain. Some of the deeper grain is still there a bit - so another go will fill that up. So rinse and repeat twice as per above for top and bottom, and sides and I will report back..
    Primer is going on.. It's actually pretty well filled. I'm surprised how well the egg white method has worked. It won't be as glassy smooth as a proper grain filler - but as this is an experimental build, I'm pretty happy.

Going to knock the primer back a touch to really flatten it out and then onto the colour. I'm not worried if it's a bit lumpy bumpy as it's getting a relic treatment ;)
    Well, you live and learn :o
    Looking good, btw!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    Going well, looking good ........ really not keen on that word you made up in the thread title though .......
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7024
    tFB Trader

Going to knock the primer back a touch to really flatten it out and then onto the colour. I'm not worried if it's a bit lumpy bumpy as it's getting a relic treatment ;)
    You will get a better result (even for a relic) if you get your primer nice and smooth first.

You will get a better result (even for a relic) if you get your primer nice and smooth first.
    Thanks Steve - that's the plan. It's all going to be an experiment in different techniques as I'm keen to try them out and learn. 

Having great eat fun in the process I have to say!
    Daphne Blue is going on.. 

That's after coat 2 I think. Going a bit light and easy with it, but it seems to be doing okay!

Loving the colour. This is definitely going the full relic - I'm pretty convinced Daphne Blue will be a good relic colour now..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Loving the fact you cracked on with the egg whiting apart, that is awesome. Never heard of that before. Looks a great job :)

JookyChap said:
    Loving the fact you cracked on with the egg whiting apart, that is awesome. Never heard of that before. Looks a great job :)
    Thanks! I don't think it was as smooth as a proper grain filler would have been, but it's flippin' close!!
    edited December 2016
    Loving the colour! What you using?

usedtobe said:
    Loving the colour! What you using?
    It's nitro provided by the rather wonderful @SteveRobinson - Daphne Blue.
    Progress has been made...

Neck is masked and being sprayed in Light Tint.

Seems to be coming on quite nicely..

I've started applying the Clear Gloss to the body.. not there yet, but it's getting there.

Colour isn't right in this photo as the lighting in my garage is a bit difficult to photograph under.. but you get the idea:

However, I have started the relic'ing..

Pickguard, Control Plate, Bridge, Neck Pickup etc.. all underway.

Here's a few shots:

And finally - before I started on the clear gloss, here's a mockup of body and pick guard for your delectation:

Yeah - the lighting really is that odd!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom