Anyone tried DADGAD on a 12-string?

What's Hot
It sounds bloody gorgeous! I found there were some truly lovely minor-sounding chords I could play using just one finger on almost any string on the second fret.
If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72250
    No, but I probably should.

My usual open tuning is EBEEBE on a 6-string, which becomes DADDAD on my 12-string which is always tuned a tone down... so DADGAD is only one string different.

Although one of the reasons I use that tuning is that with the third string being tuned down so far, it balances the fourth and fifth being up a tone, which won't be so with DADGAD.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, love it! My Fender Electric XII is usually left in DADGAD.
     I also like open G on 12 string, mainly so I can play Big Star's Watch The Sunrise.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • ICBM said:
    No, but I probably should.

My usual open tuning is EBEEBE on a 6-string, which becomes DADDAD on my 12-string which is always tuned a tone down... so DADGAD is only one string different.

Although one of the reasons I use that tuning is that with the third string being tuned down so far, it balances the fourth and fifth being up a tone, which won't be so with DADGAD.
    Hmm, interesting, never heard of EBEEBE - am I right in thinking that it's what John Martyn used to use, that he called 'cello' tuning?
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72250
    TheOtherDennis said:

Hmm, interesting, never heard of EBEEBE - am I right in thinking that it's what John Martyn used to use, that he called 'cello' tuning?
    According to this, actually DADDAD…

http://www.johnmartyn.com/guitar/song-tuning-guide/

Ha. That's quite ironic since I'm really not a fan of him, and until now I'd never heard of anyone else who used that tuning… oh well :).

I discovered it was good for slide, because by only having two notes it's harder to play anything that doesn't sound at least OK :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited November 2016
    I could never get it to sound like ‘me’, just doesn’t suite my melodic or harmony sense.
    After being weaned on Jansch and hanging out at Les Cousins to catch Davy Graham play the only player that has done anything musically original in that tuning is Pierre Bensusan
    yeah, John Martyn was perhaps my biggest influence.
    almost DADGAD, it’s open ‘D’ (g string down a semitone from DADGAD)
    heres what open ‘D’ sounds like on a 12 ‘er, give it and open ‘G’ a try.
    I posted this over on 'Put u'r stuff here page'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st7Rm28TGRA
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom