Nylon string classical type guitar recommendations

I usually play electric but enjoy rattling-out the odd classical piece and a bit of bossa nova on a 1950s Hofner nylon string that I was given many years ago. The Hofner is really easy to play having a low action and a relatively slim (but still flat) neck, but it's a shallow bodied instrument and lacks tone.

While I was in Spain a few weeks ago I dropped into a music shop and tried some relatively inexpensive Alhambra models (principally the 4P) and was very impressed with the sound, but a little unsure about the neck shape. On returning back to the UK I picked up a 1980s Alhambra 4C quite cheaply and am very impressed with the sound but I'm just not getting on with the rather fat wide neck - like most electric players I frequently fret with my thumb and so from a classical point of view have terrible technique which is only made worse by the neck shape.

Can anyone recommend a (preferably Spanish made) nylon stringed instrument with a slimmer than usual neck? I think I'd also prefer something with a cut-away. Camps guitars look like the necks might have a profile more sympathetic to a ham-fisted elctrophile like myself, but I've not been able to try one.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Merda Tauri Cerebrum Confundit
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Try a Furch GN-2 the nut width is 45mm

http://www.furch.cz/en/grand-nylon-guitars/detail/gn2-cw/

Cordoba also do nylon strings with specs similar to steel strings.
  • The Yamahas are great but that may not meet your criteria....and do make sure you go for one of the ones with the thinner neck not the classically-proportioned ones (I have the latter and kind of regret making that choice!)

• Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out.
    Merda Tauri Cerebrum Confundit
  • Yamaha ntx700
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Alvarez rc20sc! (Or is it sc20rc? I always forget)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.