NFGD - New Faulty Guitar Day

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Handsome guitar.
    Because of the way that the top is painted first, often glue isn't applied all the way to the extremities of an acoustic bridge, so a tiny bit of gapping may occur if the top flexes
    It may survive a lifetime without any problems, but by all means get it into a luthier shop where they can take a look in person

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    I had a similar problem with a Santa Cruz.  It happens  -  no big deal. If it sounds good and plays nicely I'd get the repair done personally but if you are not knocked out by the guitar send it back.

Dave King is not that far from you and he'll fix that, no problem, if that's what you decide.

Coming from Runcorn I guess it was Frailers? I'm not surprised that Frank would want to be sure you are totally happy with your purchase, he's an ace guy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited November 2016
    TimmyO said:

I'm going to sleep on it, but at the moment it's shaken my ability to bond, and this purchase for me was meant to be about finding something properly nice to soften a properly shit year in life generally. 

Will see how I feel in the morning.

Such a shame. 

Sorry to hear about this. 
    Also had a new guitar on trial recently, but inattention to details by the seller broke my chance of embracing that one.  
    Plenty more fish...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Funnily enough, I bought a used Taylor NS32ce from Frailers, which also had a lifting bridge.

I told them I didn't trust that it could be repaired easily/invisibly/permanently and received a courteous refund, immediately.

In reality, I'm sure it could have been repaired to a high standard - I just didn't want to live with the risk that it might subsequently fail outside of the warranty period - or that it was likely to be a result of extreme dryness/humidity/impact damage.

Get your money back.... 
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited November 2016
    The Larrivee page re advice/repairs  is pleasingly  easy to find.
    Might be worth asking them, with those  photos.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    I've decided to return it.
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    TimmyO said:
    A sound decision given that part of this was about it being a special purchase beyond simply acquiring an instrument.
  • TimmyO said:
    I'm personally very relieved to hear that. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have had a Larrivee OM9 for 17 years- basically a less blingy version of the OM10 and following the recent arrival of a Santa Cruz Tony Rice and an NK Forster custom, I'm going to sell my other Larrys (TSB SD50, CO9) but the OM9 is staying. Larry OMs are great guitars and I reckon a fully repaired OM10 will be as well.  Just think you might regret returning it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72248
    TimmyO said:
    I'm personally very relieved to hear that. 
    I personally think it's an overly hasty decision.

Guitars are glued together, by design. A glue joint coming undone is not "damage" in the sense of broken wood, and if glued back properly will be absolutely no different than if it had been made like that.

Larry OMs are great guitars and I reckon a fully repaired OM10 will be as well.  Just think you might regret returning it
    I would wait until shop put it up for sale again after they've had it repaired and then buy it, if it's already gone back.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    edited December 2016
    Well as you both bring it up : I made the 'mistake' of sitting down and playing it for an hour this morning. I came away from that session thinking that it is a far more balanced guitar sound wise than the amazing stuff I played at Intersound on Friday (which all gave up their sounds more readily for light finger style, but which didn't come across as balanced under a singer-style plectrum)

And then I also noted another minor 'fault' - the A note at 5th fret high E buzzes - I can't tell with naked eye whether that fret is a smudge low or the one above is a smudge high, but it's a thing. 

• So where does that leave me? 
    • It's being collected tomorrow
    • It has 2 faults that are significant (to me) 
    • Both are likely rectifiable
    • I'm more impressed with the guitar's sound now that I have been and played stuff of a similar/higher price

Red ones are better. 
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    From the sounds of it, you want that make/model but repaired properly and 100% right - which is fair enough if you're buying it new. So, let this guitar be returned and rectified, you can always buy it back or a similar guitar.
  • I personally never buy anything with a 'story'.... there are 1000s of geetars out there which will meet your needs.

@Timmyo - imho, return it fully, walk away and source another guitar mate
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72248
    TimmyO said:
    Well as you both bring it up : I made the 'mistake' of sitting down and playing it for an hour this morning. I came away from that session thinking that it is a far more balanced guitar sound wise than the amazing stuff I played at Intersound on Friday (which all gave up their sounds more readily for light finger style, but which didn't come across as balanced under a singer-style plectrum)

And then I also noted another minor 'fault' - the A note at 5th fret high E buzzes - I can't tell with naked eye whether that fret is a smudge low or the one above is a smudge high, but it's a thing. 

• I'm more impressed with the guitar's sound now that I have been and played stuff of a similar/higher price
    In that case I would allow the shop to fix it on both counts and send it back to you, rather than getting a refund. They are certainly faults, but they are almost certainly easy to repair.

I have no association with the shop by the way. I just think it's daft to return/refund a guitar which is so good, for a couple of what are really very minor issues. And which you or the shop would never even have known about if the previous owner had had them repaired before selling it.

If it had been something new where you can get another identical product I'd be more inclined to return it, but guitars aren't usually like that. In my opinion the modern 'return culture' often ends up being taken to a conclusion where you end up worse off than simply having the problem fixed.

We aren't talking about something like a broken and repaired headstock, which permanently affects the value. If these two faults are put right the guitar will be worth exactly the same. If after they've had a chance to sort it out and you still aren't happy, you still have the option of a refund.

Just my opinion obviously.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    ICBM said:
    TimmyO said:

In that case I would allow the shop to fix it on both counts and send it back to you, rather than getting a refund. They are certainly faults, but they are almost certainly easy to repair.

I have no association with the shop by the way. I just think it's daft to return/refund a guitar which is so good, for a couple of what are really very minor issues. And which you or the shop would never even have known about if the previous owner had had them repaired before selling it.

If it had been something new where you can get another identical product I'd be more inclined to return it, but guitars aren't usually like that. In my opinion the modern 'return culture' often ends up being taken to a conclusion where you end up worse off than simply having the problem fixed.

We aren't talking about something like a broken and repaired headstock, which permanently affects the value. If these two faults are put right the guitar will be worth exactly the same. If after they've had a chance to sort it out and you still aren't happy, you still have the option of a refund.

Just my opinion obviously.
    This

Luckily you bought the guitar from a reputable shop with an owner who cares about his customers.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16655
    I agree with ICBM

these faults are due to guitars being made of wood and having to cope with various climates.  Things move. The bridge should be glued better, but it's likely it wasn't an obvious flaw until later.

neither problem is fatal or hard to fix

get them to fix it and make a decision based on the repaired guitar, not the faulty one.