Some newly acquired ripple ash...

What's Hot
Greetings folks,
Just thought id share a nice haul of rippled ash i picked up last week.
There are 5 planks, 7ft long and between 7"-12" wide, 1.5" or 2" thick. They all have this awesome ripple right through. 
I did a quick stain test with some Chestnut Spirit Stain, just to see.
Im happy with the results - the figuring is quite special :)
I reckon it will be perfect as a solid body with the 3 P90s i have lying around...
Anyway, heres a link

http://i.imgur.com/P3eb2pU.jpg

Cheers,
Adam

P.s apologies if the link doesnt work - im typing this up my mobile
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16630
    That's rather nice 
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1075
    Looks really nice,i love working with Ash one of my fave woods,give us a shout if your thinking of splitting some off for sale
     id be tempted to reface a super tele ive been building with a solid rippled ash face ;)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27967
    That's a lovely looking bit of tree.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Lovely stuff :)
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1539
    Cheers :)
    Other than the beauty of the timber, it's nice to know that it came from fairly close by (a tree in Govan Old Church apparently). And that the place where i bought it is essentially a charitable trust that helps folk get back into 'society' from a variety of unfortunate backgrounds, through woodwork. Amongst other things, they are currently rebuilding an old West coast boat called a 'birlinn' - simillar in design to a viking longboat.
    They also have a smallish timber section amongst which was this ash, a fair amount of sycamore and oak, some recycled meranti and rather oddly a lignum vitae log....
    It is called Galgael and i strongly recommend anyone in the Glasgow area check them out.

Gizmo - id be more than happy to slice some off for you (and anyone else for that matter) in exchange for beer tokens. All i would like to know is what dimensions? I have a thickness sander to help. The wood is currently sitting at 8% according to my meter, but that seems quite dry for wood thats not been in a humidity controlled storage. So perhaps my meter is off.

A question for the luthiers - would you use ash for a neck? One of the planks is nearly bang on the quarter, and the grain is fairly straight.

Cheers,
    Adam
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hey adam

Sounds good :) i'll grab some dimensions once im up the shed tomorrow,i know id need a min of 7" width to bookmatch as i recall the body being just under 13" at its widest

As for Ash as a neck,ive seen it used a on a few basses when i hung out at basschat's builds section but it was always used with carbon reinforcement rods

I know that MTD has used northern ash for there bass body/necks again using carbon reinforcement rods,looks well cool but i read it will move a bit even with rods.

Ok, grand. I cant promise id have anything sorted this side of christmas though, so long as you're in no rush. Out of interest - whereabouts are you? Im near Doune, north of Stirling. If you are nearby, you're welcome to pop over.

I had thought that cf inserts might be necessary - never used them before though so we'll see. I might just stick to something more traditional for the neck anyway.
    I would love to see that ash on an acoustic, but the thought of trying to bend that undulating grain for the sides....

Cheers,
    Adam

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    I'd like a a cap for a Lp size guitar if there's any going, it looks really nice and I've never used any before 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    I know it's full-on greedy, but if you can spare a whole plank I have a bazillion uses for it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    I'd like a a cap for a Lp size guitar if there's any going, it looks really nice and I've never used any before 

Me too if you could spare some please...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Thanks for the interest folks - I hadn't meant his thread turning into a classified post though.

Sporky - I'm not sure I'm ready to let a whole plank away, but there was plenty left at Galgael, if you are near Gladgow. Failing that, and if you have anything specific in mind, let me know.
    Customkits/Paulnb57 - I'm sure I can find something. Would it be carve top thickness or 'plain'? And what dimensions (other than LP size)? 

Cheers,
    Adam
    Kalimna said:
    Sporky - I'm not sure I'm ready to let a whole plank away, but there was plenty left at Galgael, if you are near Gladgow. Failing that, and if you have anything specific in mind, let me know.
    Nowhere near, sadly - I'm mostly interested in it for box making. A chunk at least an inch thick (unplaned), about a foot long, would make a nice grain matched box.
    tFB Trader
    If its possible full carve thickness which gives me more choices 
    Lp size or strat, I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet 
    I do have a black limba dc junior body cut out that needs chambering so it will need a cap
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    Ok, i'll make a note and get back to you. You may have to remind me though as my memory can be a bit sib-optimal these days. ..

Cheers,
    Adam
    tFB Trader
    That's bad because mine has gone too 

Oh well one day, no rush plenty to build for now

Thanks anyway
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    A piece that I can resaw to bookmatch for a Les Paul top approx 9" x 21" by about 1" thick would be great please?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Many thanks to adam for the sale and postage of a slab of his super ripple ash find :)

more ripple that a ripply thing,i look forward to splitting this once xmas and new years is over and done with ;)

i think i'll be using this on another headless build as i just picked up a pretty nice headless trem unit from china (not the nasty overlordofmusic one's)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8679
    Which headless trem/tuner unit did you get?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Thanks for posting that Steve, glad it turned up OK :)

Cheers,
    Adam
    tFB Trader
    That does look really nice Adam

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)