push pull pot for les paul classic ?

JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
edited December 2016 in Making & Modding
want to add a partial neck HB coil tap to my suhr aldrich loaded classic - any advice re brand ; pot length etc 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72243
    You can do it using the tone control itself without a push-pull pot, if that's of interest. It can give you a controllable amount of partial coil splitting, although it's a bit fiddly to set accurately in a live situation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited December 2016
     How does that affect the tone control in general ?
    JMP220478 said:
     How does that affect the tone control in general ?
    There are two ways -

If you don't use the tone control normally at all, you can replace it with a 'Spin-a-split' circuit which is basically to replace the tone cap with the coil split - that does give a wide and controllable range of the partial split sounds, with 0 being fully split and 10 being full humbucker.

If you do want to use the tone control as well, you can use the normally-unused terminal of the control. It needs to be wired so that the middle terminal is either ground or directly connected to the pickup hot, and then you connect the coil split to the third terminal. That gives coil split at 10, full humbucker at about 8, and normal tone control below that - obviously a much shorter travel between humbucker and split, which is why it's less easy to dial in.

With either of them, you could put a resistor in line with the coil split connection so it never goes to fully-split, if you want. With the second way that might be useful and make it less sensitive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited December 2016
    sold !  Do you have any diagrams ? 
    There are diagrams (have a look on Seymour Duncan's website) but which is the best and easiest way depends on how your guitar is wired just now - if it's a standard Les Paul it should I think have the middle terminal of the tone pot connected to the tone cap. If so, for the first way just remove the tone cap and connect the coil split where it used to be on the tone control.

The second way is more complicated, you need to undo the ground connection on the tone pot, move the tone cap to that one, ground the middle one and then connect the coil split to the unused terminal.

• I'll open it up this evening - cheers
    edited December 2016
    Yes, as expected. Do you want to still use the tone pot 'normally'? (ie the second arrangement.) If not, it's really easy - just undo the cap (I would only do the tone control end, leaving it attached to the volume control in case you want to put it back) and connect the coil split. That will at least let you explore the partial coil split sounds.

If after that you decide you want the normal tone control as well, or you don't like enough of the variations for it to be worth having more than a single preset partial coil split, you can change it later.