Strymon Big Sky post-honeymoon verdicts?

What's Hot
JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
edited January 2014 in FX
Not a huge Stymon fan, having owned a few, but did like the Flint...and everything I read or hear about the Big Sky is positive so am inclined to press the button. Anyone want to share their thoughts on this now they've had it a while? Really after it for atmospheric self-indulgent noodling in the privacy of my own home

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Well I'm book marking this thread. I keep watching those Andy Othling vids and checking the 0% deal at Andertons.....I really want one!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Well I'm book marking this thread. I keep watching those Andy Othling vids and checking the 0% deal at Andertons.....I really want one!
    Snap.

need a Mobius too. Ha ha

out of interest, what did you not like about otger Strymons John? I got a Flint, now I'm hooked!
  • Avoid mass disappointment and put a question mark at the end of the thread title.  I can't be the only one thinking we were going to get your post-honeymoon period verdict.  :(
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Waiting on a Blue Sky coming - looking forward to a bit of shimmery goodness ;)
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    @Deijavoo I've had an ola, blue sky, flint and lex. The Ola sounded sterile to me, certainly compared with my TC SCF. The blue sky was similarly too digital, I thought (the neunaber stereo wet sounds nicer to me but YMMV). The lex was fine but I decided I wouldn't use it and the flint was excellent but I sold it for reasons I cannot even remember (wrong shade of black or something I expect).

Ha ha ha! Aye I heard that about the BlueSky and I do love my Flint but the BigSky is just such massive overkill for the 2, maybe 3 sounds I'll use. Whereas with the Timeline and Mobius I'm wondering if 200 presets will be enough....
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    JohnPerry said:
    @Deijavoo I've had an ola, blue sky, flint and lex. The Ola sounded sterile to me, certainly compared with my TC SCF. The blue sky was similarly too digital, I thought (the neunaber stereo wet sounds nicer to me but YMMV). The lex was fine but I decided I wouldn't use it and the flint was excellent but I sold it for reasons I cannot even remember (wrong shade of black or something I expect).
    If you didn't like the Bluesky presumably you won't like the Big Sky either?

It's the same DSP with a few extra algos isn't it?
    JohnPerry said:

Where did you read that? I'd be keen to know if that's so. But I've listened to many clips now and it doesn't sound to me like a bigger Blue Sky. I didn't detect any of those digital trails that i didn't like in the Blue and i'd be surprised if in the last couple of years they hadn't improved it. I've read some users saying the sound is much improved, but i grant you they might just be wishing it so

JohnPerry said:

Where did you read that? I'd be keen to know if that's so. But I've listened to many clips now and it doesn't sound to me like a bigger Blue Sky. I didn't detect any of those digital trails that i didn't like in the Blue and i'd be surprised if in the last couple of years they hadn't improved it. I've read some users saying the sound is much improved, but i grant you they might just be wishing it so

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    I'm not a Strymon fan. Owned and sold (2) Timlines, Flint etc etc. i always think that they sound a bit 'digital' to my ears.

HOWEVER, the Big Sky is stunning. Much less digital than the Blue Sky, and the only pedal i've encountered that does the Neunaber Wet sound.

It does gorgeous reverb, but also slightly usuable and workable subtle chorusey sounds. Also, the freeze function is gorgeous.

I've had some of my best live sounds ever put of this. I've got an eventide H9 incoming on Monday. Be interetsing to A/B The two; one of them will then be sold...

Thanks Warren. That's pretty much what i had read elsewhere. I pressed the button on one of these last week actually. It's in the post

If you sell your Big Sky, keep me up to date Warren please. :-D
    I actually think that the Big Sky replaces my need for that slight 'delay' sound I've always used... Does that make sense ??

The Big Sky just 'fills' out your sound more, especially when used subtly. Indeed, the secret to using Strymon gear is to work out exactly how you will USE them...

Incredible really,

The Big Sky has seen off my Timeline, Neunaber Wet, H9, Red Panda.... All great pedals, but just not as 'natural' or 'organic' as the BS...

Mmm. Disagree on the Stereo Wet. Got a BigSky today and although it's early days I can't yet find a BETTER sound than the Wet, or a more natural one. The Wet does one sound, fantastically. The BS does many, to about the same quality, from what I can hear. What I really like is the huge range of options, including the ability to dial out some of that high-end sterility I disliked about other Strymons. 

**This verdict subject to change at any time and without notice.  

John,

interesting. Out of all of the recent Strymons, Eventides etc I've tried recently, the Big Sky is the only one that doesn't sound 'sterile'... The 'versatile' setting on the Big Sky nails the Wet's sound, and then some....

Still, I still think the Wet is a great pedal and worth every penny at £200...