Blackstar ID head recording??

axisusaxisus Frets: 28280

Question about the emulated output:

Emulated Output
This output emulates the tonal characteristics of a guitar speaker cabinet and 
provides a natural tone for connection to a recording device or mixing desk.
.... Turning the Volume knob (4) will control the Emulated Output level. The Master 
Volume only affects any connected speaker(s)/cabinet(s).

NOTE: To ‘silently’ record, set the Master Volume to zero. You may also record 
from this output without a loudspeaker connected, but ensure that no loudspeaker 
leads are connected to any of the loudspeaker output jack sockets of the amplifier, 
as this will defeat the load protection circuit and will cause damage to the amplifier.

So you should unplug the speaker when using the emulated output? It says you 'may record without a loudspeaker connected' but then it says 'ensure that no loudspeaker leads are connected' - sounds like a contradiction to me???? Anyone know what is right?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    edited January 2014
    It means not to plug in a speaker cable at the amp end without making sure the other end is connected to a speaker (or dummy load). With no cable, the load protection is active; with a cable it isn't, so it must then go to a load.

I'm not sure that this hasn't been lifted wholesale from the HT series or S1 series manual as the ID has a solid-state output section and shouldn't need a load, but I may be wrong - a very few solid-state amps do. It's a good practice to encourage anyway, even if not strictly necessary.

Dave will know for sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591
    ICBM said:
    It means not to plug in a speaker cable at the amp end without making sure the other end is connected to a speaker (or dummy load). With no cable, the load protection is active; with a cable it isn't, so it must then go to a load.

I'm not sure that this hasn't been lifted wholesale from the HT series or S1 series manual as the ID has a solid-state output section and shouldn't need a load, but I may be wrong - a very few solid-state amps do. It's a good practice to encourage anyway, even if not strictly necessary.

Dave will know for sure.

Oh no he won't! Heh! But I can I think see the reasoning.....

Yes IC, for the HT/S1 amps, if a plug is NOT inserted the OP valves are biased hard off and cannot be driven thus the amp is safe from an O/C load. Obviously the amp cannot "know" if there is a lead plugged in with no load at the other end!

A similar situation obtains with the IDs but this time the danger is a short on the cable. Of course the power amps ARE S/C and over temp;
    ' protected but the caveat is part overcaution and part safety from fire hazard! A jack plug with potentially over 20V rms on it and plenty of amps available COULD spark against an earthed object and ignite something.

But I shall see if I can get a definitive answer. (fwiiw, I was surprised to find the ID amps were shutting down on me when doing some tests when I first tried them. It subsequently transpired that I was under reading the power output and so they were in fact doing the right thing! I never managed to blow one up!)

Dave.