Tidying up a neck repair

What's Hot
I've just got hold of a dirt cheap guitar because it has had a neck break.

It appears to have been repaired well, structurally it's good.

However, visually it's a mess, and in terms of feel, it's passable but not great.

What is the best way for me to go about cleaning this up? I'm thinking sanding it all down and then applying paint?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I always go for the 'flaunt the imperfection' approach

http://www.oscardehn.com/asps/resources/super/315-2.jpg

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    @SteveRobinson any suggestions? And do you do a Wine Red can?
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7022
    tFB Trader
    Yes I sell a clear red lacquer that will get you close to the colour with enough coats. It is transparent though so won't hide the damage. And with the finish on the neck being synthetic, it won't blend in easily either.

Your best chance for a tidy job would be I think to strip from just below the headstock to the heel and spray the lot. You will however need some sanding sealer, the red and a clear top coat making your cheap guitar seem less of a bargain. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    What's the bet there are screws under that wood filler?

i would just sand smooth and then play it for a bit.  If you like it you can decide if it's worth s tin if two of paint
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    WezV said:
    What's the bet there are screws under that wood filler?
    It's either screws or dowels, and I know which my money is on too :).

Classic 'joiner repair'…

It will feel a lot better if you just sand it smooth along the length of the neck instead of across it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Yes I sell a clear red lacquer that will get you close to the colour with enough coats. It is transparent though so won't hide the damage. And with the finish on the neck being synthetic, it won't blend in easily either.

Your best chance for a tidy job would be I think to strip from just below the headstock to the heel and spray the lot. You will however need some sanding sealer, the red and a clear top coat making your cheap guitar seem less of a bargain. 
    I already have some Rustin's and one of your clear coat cans, so I'd only need the red.