New MESA amp- TC50

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Ah ok, they just hate us then. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    i feel bad for the people who want a new Mesa product, in the US they are not a boutique brand but here they are priced at the higher end of the amp market.

It explains why there's such a massive gulf in used prices on Mesa here too, i've seen Lonestars from £800 - £1600 used which is a HUGE difference, but i get why people who bought new don;t want to take a 60% loss if they decide to sell

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6123
    tFB Trader
    The bit that upsets me with regards to the price gouging is that I don't think we get the support (from the distributor) in the UK that you would expect. A friend of mine has a Mesa combo and it's full of gremlins, the UK distributor can't and won't fix it. 

We have narrowed it down to a bias issue, but it still won't be fixed by Mesa. To make matters worse, Mesa don't release schematics etc so he cannot get anyone locally to look at it. 

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BumFaceBumFace Frets: 114
    Great Amps, but not that great
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    I like Mesa stuff, but i would never buy new. Just couldn't justify it. Used bargains (comparatively)can be had though. 
    I recently picked up a Mini Rec for £500 - New uk price is £1275. It's a great amp, and to me it's worth shelling out £500 for, but not £1275. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ChesterChester Frets: 52
    ThorpyFX said:
    The bit that upsets me with regards to the price gouging is that I don't think we get the support (from the distributor) in the UK that you would expect. A friend of mine has a Mesa combo and it's full of gremlins, the UK distributor can't and won't fix it. 

We have narrowed it down to a bias issue, but it still won't be fixed by Mesa. To make matters worse, Mesa don't release schematics etc so he cannot get anyone locally to look at it. 

I've had 5 Mesa's over the past 20 years, and have now moved them all on. When I had an issue with used gear after purchase through an approved retailer, the distributor fixed it. When I had an issue with new gear post warranty expiry, they didn't want to know me

So it depends who's asking the question sadly - and I won't be buying more Mesa gear thanks to lack of support from the UK distributor. There are better alternatives out there
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2348
    i feel bad for the people who want a new Mesa product, in the US they are not a boutique brand but here they are priced at the higher end of the amp market.
    Yeah. And as far as I can tell from posting a fair bit on more USA-centric guitar forums, they generally aren't really considered to be boutique in the USA. So the price plays a pretty big factor in perceptions.

I don't think that's an accident. :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Is it called Triple Crown because you get shafted by Mesa, the distributor and the retailer?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    Is it called Triple Crown because you get shafted by Mesa, the distributor and the retailer?
    The retailers don't make any more on them than other brands, and aren't allowed to offer discounts on them if they want to cut a deal, so if anything it's the retailers who are getting shafted as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Only joking @ICBM, capitalism finds a way to ensure we all shaft each other....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    That is true :).

There are different degrees of capitalist shafting though - Mesa's approach is a clear case of restrictive trading designed to artificially increase prices… I'm pretty sure it would be illegal if it was all conducted within the EU.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yeah @ICBM american free market is crazy... its such a shame most guitarists are suckers for the name..(myself included i play a Mark V:25). Its a great amp and i love it but i cant help feeling that a cheaper amp would do the business after all i use only the clean channel!

The price hike on guitars and amps in the last few years is getting scary, i hope this opens the way for local builders to come to the fore...