Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What Pedal "blew you away" this year?

What's Hot

Comments

• Very interesting thread...

For me, in no particular order...

- RYRA Klone

- Analogman KOT

- Dunlop Echoplex

- Lovepedal Amp 11

But the King of them all - FX8 and AX8
    I had a feeling you'd say that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alnico said:
    Free The Tone:

Ambi Space - Due January
    Tri-Avatar - Due January
    Silky Comp - Due Next
    Iron Forest - Due Next

The sound quality just blew my mind on all of them.
    Their Flight Time sounds really good.
    Some funny goings on with their prices recently. Flight Time's gone up £100 and now discontinued due to parts shortages.
    Quality stuff though.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1258

Even better than it looks.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Blues Driver Waza Craft version/edition. Put together a small(ish) board for when the AX8 is in the studio and this is just a great pedal (thorpy warthog as well - my favourite @ThorpyFX pedal by far).

All time wow pedal? Klon KTR. Lost many hours to this. With the right amp it makes every note sound amazing.
  • Last pedal that really blew me away is still the CT5.

Ordered it in Nov 2015, got it delivered in Jan or Feb 16, still loving it. It's the little blue box that just keeps on giving.

Honourable mention to the Meteore (although I refuse to pronounce it May-tay-or) and the Boss Slicer.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    As an addendum to my last musings, possibly the MXR Phase 95 too. On paper at least it seems like all my phasing birthdays and Christmas at once. It'll be here on Monday...

Ordered it in Nov 2015, got it delivered in Jan or Feb 16, still loving it. It's the little blue box that just keeps on giving.

Honourable mention to the Meteore (although I refuse to pronounce it May-tay-or) and the Boss Slicer.
    I've had the Slicer in mind for a while: does it arpeggiate?
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Last pedal that really blew me away is still the CT5.

This is mine too, it never stops being awesome. 

I've had the Slicer in mind for a while: does it arpeggiate?
    No. It's very fun though - especially on synths
  • I'm not sure it "blew me away" but I found the Boss DM-2w very enjoyable and fun to use. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited December 2016
    My favourite pedal addition this year has been the Strymon Flint.  For anyone unfamiliar with it it's reverb and/ or tremolo in one pedal.  Or more precisely three types of reverb and three types of tremolo, and all of them have distinctive character, are 100% usable, and it's just big easy knobs to adjust -- a super gig-friendly pedal in every way. 

Honourable mentions too for the Nobels ODR-1 (which I may have got last year) but, like the Flint, this simple OD doesn't have a bad sound in it.  It just has three controls and I can get anything I want from them.  It has never left my board.  And finally, the MXR M68 univibe and while I only use it for two sounds they are both awesome! 

What I've discovered more than anything else this year is how much I enjoy simplicity of options.  It feels like I can do more with fewer options on pedals and amps than I can when faced with an almost paralysing array of choices.  I really noticed this at the beginning of the year when I finally started getting into my amp:  an Orange CR120 head.  It's far and away my favourite amp ever and I think it's because it has just two channels and simple controls.  To be fair it's probably just ike most amps but I'd come from six years of gigging a JVM which effectively has 12 channels and it's a very different way of working live.  I like the simple life now!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7845
    Old Blood Noise Endevours 'Black Fountain'. 

Best pedal I've bought in years.  Very inspirational. 

Marlin
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I'm gonna throw in the Mooer Tender Octaver, it's so small and affordable yet it sounds absolutely the same as the more expensive pedals it's allegedly stolen its innards from. You can still pick them up for around £45 from certain Chinese sites too.
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    I liked the wren and cuff tall font russian.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    simonk said:
    As an addendum to my last musings, possibly the MXR Phase 95 too. On paper at least it seems like all my phasing birthdays and Christmas at once. It'll be here on Monday...
    I'd love to read a review of that once you've hd a chance to evaluate it. Sounds excellent on paper.

The pedal that blew me away (and still does) is the POG2. I'm using it for bass and it's opened up how I think about the instrument and all the possibilities it offers.
  • The Muffroom cloud has been a discovery, changing my view of fuzz. Love it. 
    Next stop is probably a Gunshot

But my biggest discovery is that lots of my old non boutique pedals are actually brilliant and don't need changing (phase 90 script, DD3 and my trusty OD3). 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Kalimna said:

Having not used pedals since I sold my HM-2 about 20 years ago, I bought a couple this year, that realistically I haven't got around to using to potential (WH Supa-Puss, Blue Rhino and an EHX Cathedral). However, I did build a couple of pedals (a WH Red Llama clone and a Lovepedal Woodrow), and whilst the sound probably needs tweaking a bit, I was frankly gobsmacked that I could do this with a bit of stripboard, a soldering iron and a few components. So, for sheer "Hey, I actually built this!"-ness, that's what blew me away this year.

Next build - a phaser :)

Adam

Similar here. Built a Klon clone, cheapest kit from China. Amazingly impressed!
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited December 2016
    Rothwell Tornado
    Throne Room Pedals Hurricane
    Maxon Fuzz Elements Wind
    T-Rex Twister 2
    Joyo Purple Storm
  • OBNE Procession Reverb 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Bogner La Grange, Keeley 4k comp and putting my old PH1r back on.