Help, my acoustic is dying

What's Hot
brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
edited December 2016 in Acoustics
My ancient Tanglewood cheapie is reaching the end of its lifespan and I need a new acoustic guitar. What to get? 

Budget round 300, preference for full size dreads, for strumming and picking. Don't care if it has a pickup or not. Don't like cutaways. Prefer sunburst or more yellowed tops to the super pale look, but having tried a bottom of the line Martin that busted most of those preferences yet blew everything else I tried in the shop away, but was out of my price range at 550, I'm less fussed about that than I thought. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    The Epiphone Hummingbird copy is in your range 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72243
    What's wrong with your Tanglewood? Most of them are nice guitars and unless it's starting to fall apart in a structural way it will be cheaper and probably better to get it fixed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The top seems to be caving in at the top of the sound hole. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72243
    The top seems to be caving in at the top of the sound hole. 
    Ah. That sounds quite structural ;). In that case you do need a new guitar :).

You can do a lot worse than a newer Tanglewood, actually - I've always thought they were good value for money and sound decent for their price point.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yeah I might take a look at some, I've been very happy with it and it was a present from my girlfriend years ago - in fact caused me to get back into playing after a ravey hiatus in the 90s. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    Ibanez have a new acoustic range - Artwood or something like that? The demos look good.
  • Epiphone & blueridge good in that range. You should really take a trip to a couple of shops
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Yep, get yourself to a shop. Quite a lot to choose from. Also try Vintage, Sigma and Bristol if you can. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    I heard a guy making some very nice sounds from a Sigma Guitars model in a music shop in Dublin recently.  No idea how good they are or anything but the sound was good......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• With acoustics try before you buy if you can. Buy the one you like.

Don't try any more guitars that are out of your price range, big mistake!!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Again there is a massive choice in the budget end of the market every time  i get Acoustic gas I think of blowing big bucks on something exotic and end up coming away with a sub 500 quid bargain. I really believe there is probably never been as much choice, quality and value. 

• Try a Yamaha LL6 or a Sigma DR28.
  • Found something called a Carvin Cobalt for 200 quid on Gumtree, will check it out this afternoon and take people's advice in some shops while I'm at it. 
  • A Faith will serve you well

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd recommend looking to get a all solid guitar, which you are able to do so in the price bracket. 

IMO, the Recording King RD-10 can't be beaten for just over £200.  Thomann have it in stock, which rules out trying it before but they have a decent returns policy. 
  • A Faith will serve you well
    I landed a used Faith Naked Mercury for under your stated budget. It's a stunningly good guitar. I'd never appreciated the jump in quality from sub £250 to the £300+ range before, but it's MUCH more pronounced than in electric guitars. It's a parlour sized body though, so not what you're after. 
    Id take a look at Seagull guitars- their cedar topped dread is awesome & around your price range. 

• Thanks very much everyone for the advice. Tried a bunch of stuff this afternoon. Impressed by the Faiths. Suspect I'm going to have to raise my budget a bit.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So Faith... Every one I've tried has kicked the ass of the similarly priced stuff in terms of sound and staying in tune (one from a high rack in a shop was completely coated with dust but still in tune). But those headstocks! That Yes-album-meets-Celtic-fayre logo! I just don't think I could live with that... 
  • So Faith... Every one I've tried has kicked the ass of the similarly priced stuff in terms of sound and staying in tune (one from a high rack in a shop was completely coated with dust but still in tune). But those headstocks! That Yes-album-meets-Celtic-fayre logo! I just don't think I could live with that... 
    Funny you should say that, MrsLostSons immediate comment on mine was exactly the same! 
    I responded with a tactful comment along the lines of "you don't look at the mantelpiece..."

the extra time I've been spending on the sofa is giving me ample practice opportunities  ;)