Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

MJW Amplification Taking a Break

What's Hot

Comments

• Best of luck Martin. Im going to miss having a great tech just up the road! ;)

Thanks for sorting the AC30 earlier this year. It had worked like a charm ever since. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

Thanks for all the good wishes and stuff. There's a few months yet before I'm done and dusted, so still some soldering ahead of me! :)

• Hope it all works out.
    I'd love to live up there, hopefully back that way soon in the motorhome at least. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Best wishes. Life is all the richer for making changes and seeking new challenges. Bit naff I know but true never the less. 
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Adding my best wishes too Martin. You're a gentleman and talented amp designer and there will always be a Martamp or MJW in my toolkit. Good luck with anything and everything you choose to turn your hand to. Cheers C 
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    I rued my decision not to order from you last year and this news stings like a bitch. But, of course, I completely respect (envy even) your decision to take a break and relocate. Good luck and all the best. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    See what I'm taking from this is that it sounds like you're planning on moving closer to me !
    Best of luck man 
  • DrBob said:
    See what I'm taking from this is that it sounds like you're planning on moving closer to me !

Me too!

Good luck Martin
    tFB Trader

Wow, thanks for all the kind words. I appreciate it.

I should add that when I finish next year I will have been trading for 10 years, and have built 230 amps and cabs. Last year (2015-16) was my most profitable ever, prices up and demand good, so it's not like I was struggling, although at no point have I made what you could describe as a 'living' from it.

That is irrelevant though, next to the satisfaction it has given me. I'll certainly find it hard to go back to normal work, so I imagine there's an evens chance I'll start up again, albeit on different terms.

However, in the meantime, there's the (not so) small matter of a dozen amps to build. Errk!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited December 2016
    Best wishes with whatever you decide to do Martin.

I know from first hand experience that making a bespoke product is very often not that profitable and you end up working long hours for a low hourly rate.

But, job satisfaction is worth a lot of money. I can still remember the awful Sunday afternoons knowing I had to go to work on a Monday. The ability to work when it suits you and take time off whenever, with no-one to report or lie to, is worth more than money. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • On the bright side, if you do reopen, everyone who already has your amps can sell them as exclusive and rare pre-workshop move models. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • all the best Martin, i'll miss those day trips to the Peak District dragging old Marshalls with me for you to fix :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • On the bright side, if you do reopen, everyone who already has your amps can sell them as exclusive and rare pre-workshop move models. 
    Doubt it, clearly the 'made in Scotland' amps will be superior :)
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Martin, you know what I think of your amps. None better..
    As an attempt at being a decent human being I wish you every success and happiness.
    If I'm being honest, it's a sad loss for the amp world, which I don't think people will appreciate for a long time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Hang on. Does this mean if I have a warranty claim (hugely unlikely) I get a free trip to Scotland and get to drink a load of heavy?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    Hi Martin, once you are up in NE Scotland give me a shout, would be good to meet and compare notes over a pint or a cuppa. In case you are considering where to move to, Kirriemuir is a nice little town with an AC/DC festival every year and really cheap property rates. Cheers
    tFB Trader

all the best Martin, i'll miss those day trips to the Peak District dragging old Marshalls with me for you to fix :)

Ta :)

ennspek said:
    Hang on. Does this mean if I have a warranty claim (hugely unlikely) I get a free trip to Scotland and get to drink a load of heavy?

Always welcome, but not a fan of heavy (or special) myself. When I last lived up there I was more partial to a pint of Furstenburg!

Hi Martin, once you are up in NE Scotland give me a shout, would be good to meet and compare notes over a pint or a cuppa. In case you are considering where to move to, Kirriemuir is a nice little town with an AC/DC festival every year and really cheap property rates. Cheers

Probably more likely to be somewhere between Inverness and Buckie, but yes it would be cool to call in at some point. :)

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    Sorry to hear that you are stopping making amps Martin.  Hope everything works out for you this year and you get settled into whatever you decide to do.  
    tFB Trader
    PhilKing said:
    Sorry to hear that you are stopping making amps Martin.  Hope everything works out for you this year and you get settled into whatever you decide to do.  

Thanks Phil :) 

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Findochty Martin? lucky man.You'll be Neighbours with @Discostu
    "OUR TOSSPOT"