Speaker and Amp Compatibility

not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
edited January 2014 in Amps

@ICBM Bat signal!

As my current head it busted (see other thread) I'm instantly thinking "hmmm maybe I should buy something else"...I just tend to loose faith with things after they've been repaired.

Now that Orange CR120H (new solid state Crush Pro) looks interesting, and affordable....but it's 120w

I've got two 2x12 cabs, one has a pair of Greenbacks in, so that'd be a no no I assume with that head, but my other has a Vintage 30 and a G12H anniversary. Would that cab be risky with a 120w solid state head?

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    edited January 2014
    The 2x12 with a V30 and G12H in it will be rated for 60 watts, that's a bit too much of a mismatch in my book. I'd probably sell the G12h and replace it with another V30 - then the cab will handle 120 watts and unless you were cranking the amp all day long I suspect it'd be totally fine. Plus, V30s seem to compliment the slightly compressed low end/low mid heavy orange sound anyway.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Cirrus said:
    The 2x12 with a V30 and G12H in it will be rated for 60 watts, that's a bit too much of a mismatch in my book. I'd probably sell the G12h and replace it with another V30 - then the cab will handle 120 watts and unless you were cranking the amp all day long I suspect it'd be totally fine. Plus, V30s seem to compliment the slightly compressed low end/low mid heavy orange sound anyway.
    Ok thanks. My current head is 40w so it's a bit of jump power wise to 120...I wish there was a 60w version of that head (they just do a combo)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    edited January 2014

@ICBM Bat signal!

As my current head it busted (see other thread) I'm instantly thinking "hmmm maybe I should buy something else"...I just tend to loose faith with things after they've been repaired.

Now that Orange CR120H (new solid state Crush Pro) looks interesting, and affordable....but it's 120w

I've got two 2x12 cabs, one has a pair of Greenbacks in, so that'd be a no no I assume with that head, but my other has a Vintage 30 and a G12H anniversary. Would that cab be risky with a 120w solid state head?

:)

Too risky, yes - if the amp is delivering the full 120W. But what is the cab impedance? That would make a big difference - the amp is 120W into 8 ohms, so into 16 ohms it will be no more than 80W and possibly only 60W if it's a SMPS/Class D job. (I don't know.) Still a *bit* risky but probably safe if you don't crank it - if you make sure you always have a clean sound available on the clean channel, and use the dirty channel at no higher volume, it should be OK.

One problem is that solid-state doesn't sound as perceptively loud as valve, so you will be tempted to turn it up further…

If you're replacing the G12H-30, go for a Classic Lead 80 or the new G12H-75 Greamback, that will give a full 120W handling but keep roughly the same sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Thanks @ICBM my cab (well both) are 16 ohms.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71952

Thanks @ICBM my cab (well both) are 16 ohms.

I've now been able to find that the amp is Class AB, so it probably won't de-rate quite as low as 60W into 16 ohms even with a SMPS (which I can't find any info on, but I think is less likely), although if you're fairly sensible - if you use a strictly clean sound on the clean channel, and don't push it into power-amp overdrive - I think it should be OK.

The G12H-30 is a reasonably tough 30W speaker too… although I've recently seen one blown in a 38W amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Thanks again. I'm now actually tempted to just look at the 120 combo, I suspose I'm under pressure as we've had a booking come in for a week Saturday and I'm doubtfull my Egnater will be fixed by then...so of course that's got me straight away thinking about buying something new!

I've only just really started thinking about this all, so I may just be rambling with silly ideas, thanks for taking the time to look at that.

• If you do get the orange, review it please :)

As for a cheap and cheerful amp to get you through, a quick scour of eBay shows a couple of bandits and some laney valve combos, both of which would be suitable.

But neither looks half as nice as the orange... I'm very superficial, me :)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    If you need something to get you through a gig next weekend you're welcome to borrow my crate powerblock - they're not great sounding but if it stops you having to rush into a purchase the option's there for you.
    edited January 2014
    Cirrus said:
    If you need something to get you through a gig next weekend you're welcome to borrow my crate powerblock - they're not great sounding but if it stops you having to rush into a purchase the option's there for you.

I'll be fine, I used my Orange Micro Terror to get me through the gig last time (well I used it for the whole set as my amp died during sound check). I was actually amazed at how well it performed.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    If you do get the orange, review it please :)

As for a cheap and cheerful amp to get you through, a quick scour of eBay shows a couple of bandits and some laney valve combos, both of which would be suitable.

I've been following a couple of Bandits - you can get a lot of combo for yer money, don't go for much at all. Might be a severe step down from the Egnater but they take pedals much better than many SS amps so for sub £100 would cover a couple of gigs and would be a spare if the Eganater blew up again.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    If you can get through a gig with your Micro Terror, there's no way you'll need to crank a CR120H enough to blow the speakers in your 2x12's.
    drwiddly said:
    If you can get through a gig with your Micro Terror, there's no way you'll need to crank a CR120H enough to blow the speakers in your 2x12's.

Makes sense, if I did get one I doubt I'd ever crank it all the way, but still I like to have a bit of a safety margin.

The next couple of venues we're booked at are larger than the place we last played so I'm slightly nervious that the Micro Terror won't be up to the job. Might be a good idea to get a cab mic....hmmm that's an idea.

• EricTheWeary;139470" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

If you do get the orange, review it please :)

I've been following a couple of Bandits - you can get a lot of combo for yer money, don't go for much at all. Might be a severe step down from the Egnater but they take pedals much better than many SS amps so for sub £100 would cover a couple of gigs and would be a spare if the Eganater blew up again.
    One downside - they're big and heavy. I'm certain the big cab helps the sound.

Yup, it'll be a step down tonally I'd imagine, but it is a great backup. It's my only amp, and it suits me fine until I can afford something high gain, reliable and good at low volume with sweet cleans.

But I would guess it's a ply cab, feels very solid, and it's a heavy amp. Whereas the orange would likely sound good and, in head format, be more portable.