Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Current Les Paul Customs

What's Hot
Basically, my grail guitar is an Arctic White Gibson Les Paul Custom.

I've been wanting one for the best part of 17 years (even since I've started playing) and now my wife has allowed me to get one for my 30th. But only if it can be done via finance as we can't afford to simple credit card it or pay outright.

Now I know a lot of purists have negative things to say in regards to the Richlite, but what are the new LP customs like? Are they really built badly? I'm umming and arring about buying new as I feel a little weird financing a second hand guitar (odd I know, but it's worth mentioning).

I'd like some genuine feedback from anyone who owns/has played them please. Obviously I'll be going to try and play a couple before making a purchase. But this forum always seems to give good information nearly all the time, so I figured I'd post in here!

Thank you.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Recent ones (ie the past 5 or so years) that I've picked up have been quite heavy. That can be a good thing or a bad thing... depending on your preference.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    You need to judge each guitar on its merits. It always surprises me when people say 'They're great guitars' when talking about a run of a particular model, because tone and feel will differ from instrument to instrument.

I'm not keen on Richlite, personally. I had a Martin guitar with a Richlite board and didn't like the feel. YMMV, though.

If you can find one, you can avoid the Richlite issue by buying a '74 reissue:

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/gibson-custom-1974-les-paul-custom-reissue-vos.htm
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd love a '74 RI but the price step is a big one. :(

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Brize said:

If you can find one, you can avoid the Richlite issue by buying a '74 reissue:

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/gibson-custom-1974-les-paul-custom-reissue-vos.htm

I see they say "You'll be pleased to see the weight of this one, it ain't no boat ancher! A lot of 70's Custom can creep up to 12lbs in weight, this one is featherlight in comparison."  And then the pictures don't show the weight!

(I realise it's academic as the guitar's been sold)

• @Brize is totally correct about having to try them out. The natural resonance of different pieces of wood will be... different. Plus some are better assembled than others etc.  So that can all add up to huge variations in tone, sustain etc etc. To my ear and fingers, the variation across 'identical' Gibson models can be massive.

One other thing to bear in mind... If you particularly like the tone of old 50s Customs (versus old 50s Standards)... part of the general variation in tone is down to the fact that the Custom's body is mahogany (whereas Standards have a maple cap over a mahogany back). Today's ordinary CS Customs have maple caps. To get an all mahogany body, you'd have to get something like a 57 Reissue Custom (but I'm not sure you get many white ones... unless there's a small special run).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • it sounds a little ridiculous, but I kind of like the idea of the richlite and genuinely have nothing against It other than the fact that it looks a little too "light" in comparison to ebony. That's what actually bugs me the most about it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited December 2016
    Why can't Gibson use Ebony? Martin use it on their standard range and higher acoustics.

• Nothing wrong with richlite. Had a Martin with it and it was lovely. 
  • Get one that's a few years old that has an ebony board. There's a lot of them about and it will be cheaper.

Although, are you sure you shouldn't really be getting a black one...?!  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I found a black one 2 years ago with a great rosewood fingerboard.  Richlite I was told to avoid and I did in case anyone I would maybe sell it to would avoid it.  Bought a white one earlier this year used. Mahogany. Great
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Personally I would avoid richlite like the plague.  Regardless of all the 'spin' by Gibson about durability, tone etc it's compressed paper for goodness sake, and not even wood!  IMHO these will drop like a stone in value and you'll struggle to move them on.  I personally wouldn't touch one even at half the LP Custom price.  LP Customs should have ebony boards, and that's it.

The other alternative material of Baked Maple is not ideal, but at least that's proper wood.  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Play as many as you can and don't get caught up in the bs.
    If it plays well and sounds great it shouldn't matter what wood is used. The focus should always be about the playing and the sound, not this cork sniffing shite about fretboard material
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Play as many as you can and don't get caught up in the bs.
    If it plays well and sounds great it shouldn't matter what wood is used. The focus should always be about the playing and the sound, not this cork sniffing shite about fretboard material
    A good approach but only if you do not value resale
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    roberty said:
    Play as many as you can and don't get caught up in the bs.
    A good approach but only if you do not value resale
    Exactly - and the key point is that richlite is NOT wood! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Aye, I was just trying to avoid the whole "it's not wood" debacle as it's a common topic but I was just interested in what they play like and what the general build quality of the new customs is. The main area that scares me about buying second hand is where to start looking in terms of shops and what year is generally classed as a "good" year?!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited December 2016
    From what I've read, richlite is basically impervious to fluctuations in temperature so it should be more stable than wood. They use it to make skate parks so it is very tough. I don't know why anyone would use it on a premium model guitar though, seemingly where cost is not an issue?
  • roberty said:
    From what I've read, richlite is basically impervious to fluctuations in temperature so it should be more stable than wood. They use it to make skate parks so it is very tough. I don't know why anyone would use it on a premium model guitar though, seemingly where cost is not an issue?

if anything though, I could understand that. As it sounds far more durable that wood? if you get what I mean?
  • FellixFellix Frets: 27
    I recently played a new £3300 Les Paul Custom and while it felt utterly amazing I felt uneasy about spending over £2500 for a single guitar. In the end I picked up a 2nd hand Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom for just £1200 (they average £1200 to £1400 on the 2nd hand market). While some will argue it's not a proper Custom due to it being built on the main production line and having some small differences to a full blown custom, it is just as good as the brand new one I played several months ago. 

The baked maple board after being applied with several coats of oil darkens down to an almost Ebony colour and feels really nice to play, I don't think a average "bedroom" player can honestly hear or really feel any difference to rosewood. 

It comes with the classic 57 and 57+ humbuckers, which are just  amazing humbuckers. It's pretty heavy at almost 10lbs and bar there not being binding on the back of the body, it looks just perfect in my eyes. I honestly think the Classic Custom is really worth going for if you can't stretch to paying well over £2000 for a normal Custom.
    2014 Fender Strat Plus Replica in Lake Placid Blue /1996 Fender 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Strat in Candy Apple Red /1993 Fender American Stratocaster Plus Deluxe in Blue Burst /Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555x 100w head with Victory Silverback Vintage 30 Loaded 4 x 12 Official Boss Pedal Addict - TU-3 , OD-1, DD-2 , DC-3, PS-1, RB-5, DS-1
  • I'm something of a Luddite - but given that even a £500 Taylor acoustic has an Ebony board - why on earth can't Gibson put one on it's must prestigious solid guitar?

Taylor I understand pretty much control the supply of it - but are taking their environmental responsibilities seriously.

It can only be a cost issue with Gibson...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I got a used '57 Reissue used on 4.9% finance from Mansons for quite a lot less than a new non-reissue Custom. Paid it off quick, it's absolutely stunning, 9.8lbs so pretty light and from the year I left school (1998) so has a bit of novelty.

If you wait, they turn up every so often. I think Strung Out Guitars have one just like it in at the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom