Bass has helped my guitar playing

What's Hot
Hard to believe but it has. Hard to disagree with the (offstage) plebs chanting "Your guitar playing could hardly get any worse", but I am stronger now than I was. Definitely my fretting hand and fingers are stronger. Playing bass is physically hard work. I am not anywhere near gig level fitness or have not that level of stamina yet but some forward movement can be noticed. On the guitar my barre chords feel a little easier especially F and Bb. Onwards and upwards as they say. Silencing the plebs might take a very long time though....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Learning any other instrument should improve your playing - I think it makes you more aware of what drives a song, where space should be, it makes you think a little more about instrument interaction. My guitar playing improved dramatically when I learned the drums, I knew what to listen for, what to follow, what to play against - I started writing guitar riffs with a drum beat in mind.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I find playing bass very therapeutic and I found my rhythm guitar playing improved.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I used to play bass a lot more some years ago, I've rather neglected it since. I totally agree though that it helped my guitar playing. It made my hands stronger and more forceful.
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Guitar playing helps bass too.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    Wisdoms all round here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As a guitarist who has believed the other guitarists at jams are better and been first to volunteer to play bass, eventually  ending up permanently on bass. I agree that it works both ways.
  • I had a similar experience when I got a 12 string acoustic.  After playing it for a while the electric 6 string felt like I was flying.  Later in life I also had the same experience when I took up the bass.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Also, if you play a lot of acoustic guitar, electric seems very easy afterwards