NGD - 212 Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom

What's Hot
FellixFellix Frets: 27
I had been after a Les Paul Custom for a while and I came across this guitar for sale on FaceBook a couple of months ago and worked out a deal.

It's a 2012 Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom. I know it's not a totally proper LP Custom, but I feel it's close enough and the prices are much easier to manage than a full blown custom. 

It's got the classic 57 and 57+ humbuckers and the baked maple fretboard. It's a weighty beast at around 9-10lbs. I was really impressed with just how amazing the slim 60's neck feels and it's tone with my Marshall Silver Jubilee is even better than I hoped for. I am a massive fan of the 490 and 498 combo humbuckers, but the classic 57's have impressed me and IMO just destroy the nasty Burstbuckers that Gibson were putting in a number of different Les Paul models.

Eventually I would like to change the chrome hardware for gold hardware, as that's the look I love so much with the LP Customs. For the time being I'm really happy with the guitar and have been really enjoying getting various tones out of it. Like all right guitar purchases, this guitar just makes me want to pick it up and play it all the time.

Felix
2014 Fender Strat Plus Replica in Lake Placid Blue /1996 Fender 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Strat in Candy Apple Red /1993 Fender American Stratocaster Plus Deluxe in Blue Burst /Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555x 100w head with Victory Silverback Vintage 30 Loaded 4 x 12 Official Boss Pedal Addict - TU-3 , OD-1, DD-2 , DC-3, PS-1, RB-5, DS-1
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    edited December 2016
    I should have got one of those that I tried originally which was excellent at the time. When I got the dough together the one I tried then was really brittle sounding. 

Always loved the chrome hardware look.  

HNGD!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FellixFellix Frets: 27
    Deijavoo said:
    I should have got one of those that I tried originally which was excellent at the time. When I got the dough together the one I tried then was really brittle sounding. 

Always loved the chrome hardware look.  

HNGD!!!

I tried a brand new full blown Les Paul Custom back in September which had a tag price of £3300. It was really nice, but I didn't feel comfortable spending that much on a single guitar. In the end they lowered the price to £2700 for me (this is at PMT Oxford), but still I didn't want to go for it. When I learnt about the Classic Customs and the slight differences, I was happy to buy one as it had pretty much everything I loved about the LP Custom. 

I've owned 6 Les Paul's in the last 2.5 years and this is the first one that I've really felt like I wanted to keep for really long term.
    2014 Fender Strat Plus Replica in Lake Placid Blue /1996 Fender 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Strat in Candy Apple Red /1993 Fender American Stratocaster Plus Deluxe in Blue Burst /Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555x 100w head with Victory Silverback Vintage 30 Loaded 4 x 12 Official Boss Pedal Addict - TU-3 , OD-1, DD-2 , DC-3, PS-1, RB-5, DS-1
    Here is an update with my guitar. I've been slowly transforming the guitar to look like the more "classic" ebony and gold theme. I've not been able to find proper Gibson gold covers for the classic 57's I have in the guitar. I really want to put the "correct" 490/498 combo that the standard LP Custom has/had. I really like the lower output pickups as it allows me to crank my Marshall Silver Jubilee up much higher and get that sweet spot that Marshall valve amps are loved for!

I use to be worried about the extreme weight that you find with the customs, but I've not had a single issue with this guitar and my damaged back has only been painful from sitting on a chair. The guitar feels so balanced and the neck profile to just how the guitar plays, still blows me away even after all these months I had it for. 

[
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey contrats I've got a gold top Classic Custom from 2012 and its fantastic.  I also swapped out the hardware for gold.  I put gold gotoh locking machine heads on it, replaced the knobs, the switch, the truss cover and dropped a gotoh gold aluminium tailpiece and gold graphtec resomax bridge in.  She really sings now.  I've still to swap out the pickups and when I do it i'll give her a full rewire.  One thing i can recommend is the creamtone stuff...I replaced the guard with a creamtone vintage accurate shallow bevel guard and it looks great.
  • 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited March 2017
    Nice guitar - personally I wouldn't have bothered changing the hardware to gold.  Aside from the fact it wears, many old Custom and 'black beauties' (originally 'black beauty' was the original 3-pup variant, but its use transcribed over to 2 p/up customs),  had nickel/chrome and not gold hardware.  As an example, there's a 'non-gold' 3 p/up 'black beauty' in the very famous film 'To Sir With Love'.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited March 2017
    BTW the band were called the Mindbenders with Eric Stewart on guitar, who went on to play with 10cc!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Hey contrats I've got a gold top Classic Custom from 2012 and its fantastic.  I also swapped out the hardware for gold.  I put gold gotoh locking machine heads on it, replaced the knobs, the switch, the truss cover and dropped a gotoh gold aluminium tailpiece and gold graphtec resomax bridge in.  She really sings now.  I've still to swap out the pickups and when I do it i'll give her a full rewire.  One thing i can recommend is the creamtone stuff...I replaced the guard with a creamtone vintage accurate shallow bevel guard and it looks great.

I've been so impressed with my Classic Custom. I love how they used the 60's profile for the neck, as it's kinda the biggest I can comfortably play on. I was told before I got one, that the classic '57 pups were one of the best new pickup designs Gibson have done for years. I like how they are not stupidly hot and really give some depth to the overall tone.

The baked maple fretboard also really impressed me. I love how it's darker than a rosewood board and unlike the "normal" LP Customs, it's made out of proper wood! 

The tuners are actually Groovers that came off a 2001 LP Custom when it was still new. I only paid £28 for a genuine set of Groover tuners! 

Voxman said:
    Nice guitar - personally I wouldn't have bothered changing the hardware to gold.  Aside from the fact it wears, many old Custom and 'black beauties' (originally 'black beauty' was the original 3-pup variant, but its use transcribed over to 2 p/up customs),  had nickel/chrome and not gold hardware.  As an example, there's a 'non-gold' 3 p/up 'black beauty' in the very famous film 'To Sir With Love'.

The thing is, I've wanted a LP Custom in ebony and gold. It's just been something I've wanted since I was a kid just learning his first chords. While many Les Paul owners go gooey over a Cherry Burst or a Lemon Drop finish, with enough flame it's worthy of being called a forum thread from a gamers website. For me, I just loved the contrast that you only got from the proper customs and not just a normal Ebony Les Paul that has been altered to look like a "Custom" 

With the wear, normally the sweat from you fingers is what triggers the gold to start wearing off. I am really lucky that my hands have never had this effect on any of my instruments in the last 20 years of me trying to play guitar. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited March 2017
    Looks great with the gold hardware. Pop the pickup covers off!

So what's the deal with these - are they like a Standard in build but with the Custom's visual accoutrements (good word) and a baked maple board? How would you say the baked maple affects the sound, if any? It looks nice and dark, is it stained? I've never understood why Gibson's stock photos show the board looking so pale and washed-out, when the real examples I've seen look so much better.

Only thing that puts me off them a little is the thinner neck, I like a Les Paul to have something like a late-50s profile, but hey.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    That's a very handsome guitar. LPCs 'should' have gold hardware as far as I'm concerned. It just looks 'right'.
    Bucket said:
    Looks great with the gold hardware. Pop the pickup covers off!

So what's the deal with these - are they like a Standard in build but with the Custom's visual accoutrements (good word) and a baked maple board? How would you say the baked maple affects the sound, if any? It looks nice and dark, is it stained? I've never understood why Gibson's stock photos show the board looking so pale and washed-out, when the real examples I've seen look so much better.

Only thing that puts me off them a little is the thinner neck, I like a Les Paul to have something like a late-50s profile, but hey.
    Hey there Mr Bucket,

The guitar is done on the main production line and the differences are there is no binding on the back of the body and the baked maple fretboard. The board only has "Dunlop Lemon Oil" on and that is enough to darken it like you see in my photos. 

Everything else about the guitar is like a normal LP Custom. They are just as weighty as a normal custom. The classic custom came with the classic '57 humbuckers, rather than the 490/498 combo you get in most of the more expensive models in the Les Paul range. They all had the slimmer 60's neck profile and were built from 2011-2012. 

So to me, they are really close to the normal LP customs you would pay between £2700-£3300 here in the UK. I played a full custom shortly before I decided to go for a classic custom instead, mainly due to difference in price and not really being bothered about which Gibson building it was put together in.

The baked maple neck feels like rosewood/ebony to me, it darkens each time I add more oil to the board, which I do maybe every 3 months (2 sets of strings usually). Sound wise, I would need to A/B to be able to tell any difference, if any. But because of the different pickups it's hard to tell what is the pups and what is the wood.

I really champion this version of the Les Paul Custom as they just offer such great value for money on the used market. They cost the same sort of money as a Les Paul Standard. I don't know much about production number and how easy they are to get, but when I was looking to buy in December last year, this was the only one on the Facebook group (UK Gear Exchange) that I was browsing at the time.

My other guitar is a Fender Strat Plus Deluxe and this LP Custom balances really well on the tonal spectrum with it. 
  • They also changed the Classic Custom after 2012 I think (crown headstock inlay instead of split diamond comes to mind)...I suspect that this was to distinguish the CC and a regular custom more obviously.  I also heard a rumour that the goldtop, white and natural ones were all made in really limited quantities with the black and wine red having more of the production - cant verify that though
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Amazing. The LP Custom look is one of the best looking guitar styles there is I think.
  • derekisericderekiseric Frets: 12
    Sold it?
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Sold it?
    He still has it!
    As my good friend @lonestar has pointed out, I still own the guitar.

This is what the finished guitar looks like.....

It has a 490R and 498T humbuckers in it now.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • derekisericderekiseric Frets: 12
    Nice! Ive been trying to find one but only found the LITE version which Im not keen. Let me know if you decide to sell it one day. Cheers!
    Nice! Ive been trying to find one but only found the LITE version which Im not keen. Let me know if you decide to sell it one day. Cheers!
    If the right price come along then sure I would. I didn't think they were that hard to find?